First U2 Concert Experiences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
*Is taking Salome's advice and starting a U2-related thread in EYKIW*
biggrin.gif

My first time experiencing a U2 concert was September 9, 1992 during the Zoo TV Tour Outside Broadcast. I was 14 at the time, and having really discovered and becoming obsessed with U2 that summer it was a huge deal for me and my best friend to see them live. (My dad was great getting the tickets-he came home telling me that they were all sold out, making me almost start to cry until he pulled out 2 tickets out of his wallet. Gotta love practical jokester fathers. lol) As a matter of fact, up until my parents told me they would buy me a ticket I had a jar marked "U2 Concert Fund".

So, the day of the show was also my first day of high school. I couldn't wait to get it over with, and was anxious and nervous up until the moment George Bush came on the big tv's and the opening of Zoo Station played as Bono danced in front of the multicolored screen. My friend and I had gotten our t-shirts and tour books, and drooled over pictures of Larry and Edge once we got to our seats all the way at the back of the stadium.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Finally, the show began. I was a typical teenage girl, screaming and crying and yelling, "I love you Larry!!!" even though there was no way in hell he could hear me. lol It was a phenomenal experience, of course it wasn't until I was much older that I learned what an uplifting and emotional thing U2 concerts could be, but at 14 it was just as amazing. For Zoo Tv to be your first U2 show has to be a pretty overwhelming thing! I was giddy and hyper on the drive home, and it was then sealed in my mind that they would be my favorite band for all time.

What are y'all's first times experiencing U2 live?

smile.gif

------------------
My scream got lost in a paper cup...

My first U2 concert was on June 25th, 1997, in Madison, Wisconsin's Camp Randall Stadium. I was 15, and had been a U2 fan for a little over two years. Madison was about 5 hours from our home, but it was the closest U2 was coming to us, and my parents knew how much it meant to me...so they bought tickets and took my U2-hating sister (why, oh why?) and me to see U2. Apart from my sister bitching the entire time, it was absolutely incredible. We had seats on the floor, and there was this really cool guy next to me. I would stand on my chair at times to get a better view (even though the security guard always came by and made me sit down)...sometimes I'd lose my balance, and the guy next to me would catch me.
smile.gif

I was so excited by my first glimpse of U2 that I started to hyperventilate...*lol*...Mom was yellin' at my dad to make me calm down so I didn't pass out.
biggrin.gif
I cried during every song...I was so excited and happy to be there! My sister pretty much just sat in her chair just about the entire concert, arms folded across her chest, head down, bitching occasionally. She did however admit to me last year that the concert had been pretty cool (ATYCLB won her over...she's no longer a U2 hater).
smile.gif

What an experience though...I'm glad I have such cool parents to have spent all that money and time just so I could see U2!
smile.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

I posted this in another thread, but it's just as relevant here...

The first time I saw them was in 1997 in Jacksonville for PopMart. We were 5th row on Edge's side - and I'll never forget the overwhelming feeling when I saw the Boys on the video screen approaching the stage. It was as if I was floating, and I felt my eyes well up - and then, I saw the hooded cape and bounce of Bono. Never did I imagine the reaction I would have to just being near this guy - but if anyone has saved my life - it is he. I say this not in a worshipful way - but in an immensely appreciative way. I do not doubt that I would not have lived much longer in my past situation had I not found U2. It was my redemption.

Anyway, throughout the Jacksonville show, I was bending over weeping the whole time - I barely saw the show because of the intense amount of emotion I felt - years of pain were flowing thru me - it felt almost like the sensation Believers feel when they first accept Jesus as their Saviour. That's how I felt - and I just wept and wept. It was awesome.

1987 at the Meadowlands Brendan Byrne Arena (now Continental Airlines Arena). I can't remember the actual date. I went with a guy named Eugene. We sat in the upper deck, opposite of the stage (pretty far away). I remeber them playing "Maggie's Farm." It was a great show. It was actually my first concert ever. Wish I could remember more....

My 1st U2 show was one of the best nights of my entire life. My friend and her Dad invited me to go see U2 at Oakland Stadium on 11/15/1987, I was 14. (just like you LarryMullen's_POPAngel!) It was my 1st stadium concert. and it was U2! I just remember the red background, and those four beautiful silouettes come out from the left side of the stage...I was so mesmerized, the crowd was out of their mind. WOW- I remember just losing it there, it was the most intense event I had ever seen. And I fell in love with Bono
cool.gif
The show was absolutely amazing. I swear it changed my life forever. I have been completely and totally obsessed with U2 ever since. It was immediate, U2 won me over, I was an instant follower up until this very day!
I remember my 2nd show I flew down to LA in like 92 to see Zoo TV, and we were in the 5th row of the 2nd level, and as soon as U2 came out, I ran down and almost jumped over the rail...hehe...atleast thats what my cousins' who had brought me there thought I was gonna do!
What incredible memories.
Ya know what? Today I received in the mail copies of the Bologna '93 and the Rome '97 shows!!! I found them in my mailbox and was jumping up and down like a fool outside my door at the mailbox
rolleyes.gif

I WAS AT BOTH THESE SHOWS! I never knew they even existed, and then a trader said he had them
biggrin.gif
So I'm just about to sit down to about 5 hours of U2 tonight!
biggrin.gif

I LOVE U2! 2 days 'til Superbowl!
WhooooooohoooooO! I love this thread! I am so happy it's Friday! Oh, gosh, here I am rambling...lol...cheers!

[This message has been edited by U2SJ (edited 02-01-2002).]

I have been a U2 fan since early eighties when I was a young teenager. Over the years, two friends of mine saw Zoo TV, my sister saw Zoo TV, a girl I knew won a contest to fly to Toronto to see U2 BUT I never got a chance to go, GRRRR!

However, I moved to British Columbia from Newfoundland a few years ago and vowed to see U2 next tour. Fast forward to the Elevation Tour announcement. The day of the first presale for Vancouver, I got my supervisor to let me off work for 2 hours to go home and try to by tickets via the net. I ended up getting two balcony tickets near the back of the GM Place. On the day of the official ticket sale, I got two more balcony tickets, on the side of the stage. Boy, was I happy.

One day while lurking on interference, I noticed the sad postings of a fellow named Michael Griffiths who could not get tickets to the Van show. I emailed him about my extras (face value of course) and he said he wanted them. Boy, was he happy. About 2 weeks before the show, Michael called me and explained he had a chance to pickup to GAs but he would help me get rid of my extras including a third ticket since I was going alone. (yeah, none of my friends wanted to drive 19 hours to Vancouver for just a concert, their loss). I was happy for Michael since he had tried so hard to get tickets for the show. Fortunately, a week before the concert, someone posted on interference ( interference rocks!)that Ticketmaster was selling GAs for the Vancouver show. It was posted 2 minutes before I read it, 5 minutes later, I was the proud owner of a pair of GAs. I called Michael to tell him the good news and he said his sister would probably buy my other GA. Also, he invited me to hang out with him in Vancouver.

Just getting the tickets was an experience for me and having the good fortune to get GAs was good enough for me. But when Michael said they wanted to get in the heart, I said sounds good to me. We get in the heart and then I feel it. My heart is racing, palms sweaty, I'm grinning like a fox in a henhouse. PJ Harvey was loud and proud as an opening act. But then I hear the quiet twangs of Elevation and now the woohoos, where are they coming out from, can you see them, my toes are gonna break from straining to look for band. Bam, da bys just casually walk on the stage while 17000 people roar their welcome to the band. Now I can die a happy man.
Wow, my first U2 concert and I end up within an arms length of the band. By the end of the show, I was one person away from the front of the stage. How great was this?!? To wait so long, after seeing tons of other concerts, and see my favorite band this close just floored me. I had seen their previous tours on video and never dreamed of getting this close. The only disappointing thing about seeing U2 live is that everyone else sucks in comparison and I have no real desire to see anyone else, OH WELL
smile.gif

------------------
You give it all but I want more

[This message has been edited by trevster2k (edited 02-01-2002).]

May 3rd, 2001 - Cleveland, Ohio

I remember wondering what the initial feeling of seeing them in real-life would be like. It seemed like all of my friends were getting there fair shares of good concerts to go to of bands they loved. I was kinda shafted by my parents by not providing a ride to the Columbus 5/24/97 Popmart, so this was my best chance. I had attended several big concerts before this, but I was waiting to be blown away.

The moment came. The moment where U2 was all I gave two-shits about. The aura of being so close to people so untouchable, but in their presence nonetheless. And for a fleeting moment I thought, "Holy Christ - they're real!"

Elevation Cleveland sure has one heck of a bootleg, and I think many others on here would agree. For anyone that went to the show, hopefully you'd also agree that it dwarves the excellence of the recording.

November 14, 1987 - Joshua Tree.

I was 14. That seems to be a popular age! It took so much persuasion for my parents to let me and my best friend at the time go by ourselves. I remember lining up outside of the Oakland Stadium at 7 am (since it was all GA). After sitting on cement all day finally we got in and we ran and ran to the front of the stage! We ended up about 20 rows back or so.. I couldnt believe it I was sooo excited. This was my all time favorite band and we were going to see them right there!! They were going to be right in front of us! Well, as soon as the Pretenders came on, everyone mashed to the front and we ended up getting smashed. Not sure what to do and scared... being 14 and our first concert and all.. my friend started crying and said she wanted to go back some.
frown.gif
Blah.. I felt I could handle it I mean this was U2!!! But, she was upset and I wanted us to enjoy the show so we stepped back about 10 or so more rows. All I remember really of this show was us shouting "Larry!!!" over and over again..we were obsessed with Larry back then..hehe. I think I cried through most of the show.. not being able to believe that U2 was there playing right in front of us!

About a couple months ago I tracked down the bootleg of that show.. it was incredible to put that cd in the player after all these years.. I teared up when Streets started.. though I dont remember much of the concert, its so nice to have on cd.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
The End

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
I posted this in another thread, but it's just as relevant here...

The first time I saw them was in 1997 in Jacksonville for PopMart. We were 5th row on Edge's side - and I'll never forget the overwhelming feeling when I saw the Boys on the video screen approaching the stage. It was as if I was floating, and I felt my eyes well up - and then, I saw the hooded cape and bounce of Bono. Never did I imagine the reaction I would have to just being near this guy - but if anyone has saved my life - it is he. I say this not in a worshipful way - but in an immensely appreciative way. I do not doubt that I would not have lived much longer in my past situation had I not found U2. It was my redemption.

Anyway, throughout the Jacksonville show, I was bending over weeping the whole time - I barely saw the show because of the intense amount of emotion I felt - years of pain were flowing thru me - it felt almost like the sensation Believers feel when they first accept Jesus as their Saviour. That's how I felt - and I just wept and wept. It was awesome.

Wow calm down!
smile.gif
It's not often anything impresses me on here (well, written anyway) but that was very impressive!

As for me, following the aborted attempt at Wembley 1997 (long story) it was left to Birmingham NEC 2001 in August for my first U2 taste.

My first impression was that the arena was very small! Anyway, once they walked on I couldn't believe how much of a shortarse Bono is even with his shoes on. I was to the side of the stage and about 20 yards from it, so it felt like I was practically on top of them! (stop it)

I'll spare you the set list shenanigans, but what I do remember is it going by very quickly and the temporary stand where I was shaking during Until The End Of The World.

Afterwards, my brother who went with me said: "I've seen Oasis, I've seen the Verve and I've seen the Manic Street Preachers, but after having seen U2 I don't think I need go to another gig again."

So there.

November 10, 1997-Tampa,Fl Popmart

Drove to Tampa by myself to meet the people I was going with. They were "casual" fans...I of course, was not(and never will be). The show blew my mind. Our seats were not as good as we had anticipated. It was all good, though, we kind of made our way up to the B-stage(This show was far from a sell-out!) and stood on the chairs. I never thought that experience could be topped...but it was, surely, by the same band in Miami 4 years later!!!

Ironic subplot:I paid as much for that Popmart ticket(secondhand) as I did for the two GA tickets I had for two of the three Elevation shows I attended(talk about more for my money-they blew Popmart away!)

------------------
N A T E

When I grow up I'll be stable...

Wow, reading all these first time experiences takes me back. What a wonderful thread!
smile.gif

My "first time" was in 1985, in Los Angeles during the second leg of Unforgettable Fire. I was 13 at the time, and at the last minute my brother's friend had to cancel so I got her ticket. (I still think to this day my brother had a secret ticket thing going on) My mother was petrified that I was going to a show at such a young age, going to a show with my bro and his rebel rouser friends, but I had the best time in the world. I was on top of the world! I'll never forget when my bro left to go to the show, then called me an hour later and told me to get ready because he had that golden ticket. I'll never forget fussing over what to wear and scrambling up my allowance for a t-shirt and program...

I still remember the show, the crowd, the simplicity of the stage set-up with one main light and 4 spot lights, from when they opened with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock to the closing strains of 40 and the crowd singing "How Long..." until the houselights went up, the tired drive home in that beat up avocado green Volkswagen van... My memory has faded a bit since then, but that concert which marked the first in my concert-going history shines like a star. Any time I feel like getting my nostalgia up I refer to my diary, which I scribbled in detail upon my return home from the concert. *sigh*

I should have seen Zoo TV when I was 14. But I didn't.

So I had to wait five years as a fan, subsisting meanwhile only on WIRE during those long, dry years (I like Passengers, but really). Nowadays it's hard to believe I spent half of my years of U2 fandom without ever having seen them live!

Anyway, my first show was at RFK on May 26, 1997. My seats were from Prop -- good, but not great -- about 10 rows back from the b-stage in the second floor seating section. That was the night that the PopMart screen wasn't working properly since it had been set up "by men in snorkels and flippers," as Bono put it, during torrential rain the night before. Still, I couldn't have been any happier. It's always amazing to finally experience something you think about and dream of for years. The reality of it can be a little strange, things like aching feet and finally understanding that you only get one angle on the band when you're not watching a video.
wink.gif
But it's also the reality of it that makes it incomparable -- you're there, thousands of other people are there, and most importantly U2 is there. And you're all singing with one voice.

I'm making myself too upset, now, that I have to wait years to see them again. Sniff.

I have to say, as a side note, that as amazing as U2's stage setup was for this tour, with all the heart stuff and GA and being in smaller venues and whatnot, there are things I miss about seeing them in stadiums. Granted, I was never in the back. I was on the floor for 4 of the 5 PopMart shows I saw. But even in the stands, there's something about ALL THOSE THOUSANDS of people, and the electricity of waiting under an open sky for darkness to come, doing the wave in the stands or tossing beach balls around in the floor crowd, laughing when they hit someone in the head. How the house lights go up cause it's dark, and you know the time is coming. Even being at the whim of the weather, it makes it more primal in a way. You can see the lights from the fuss that you're a part of reflect from the clouds above. It's just more of a sense of being part of something on a grand scale.

------------------
just as I am I awoke with a tear on my tongue

"Our Bono is indeed a mighty force. He walks into a room and all the air gets sucked right out. He is completely magnetic." -Shirley Manson

Zooropa, 6-12-1993, Cologne. It was an amazing show and though we were very far away from stage it was an unforgettable experience. To me Zoo TV/Zooropa wasn't only a rock show it was a spectacular multimedia event. I really loved the beginning with Bono kicking in front of these blue screens...

When they played the hits like Pride or WOWY I almost couldn't believe that I really was there. Everything seemed so unreal. I still remember very intense the end of the show: "Love is blindness" with all the projected stars and Bono acapella "Can't help falling in love". It was so beautiful, these memories still make me shiver!

Before this show I had been a fan for eight years without getting the chance of seeing them live. After it I wasn't only a fan of their music but also of the live band U 2. Today I still wish I could have started earlier! Maybe that's why I saw 4 Elevation shows last year. I have to catch up.
wink.gif

Hope I'll get this boot someday!

annalivia

------------------
"I'm a singer. You know what a singer is? Someone with a hole in his heart as big as his ego.
When you need 20,000 people screaming your name in order to feel good about your day,
you know you're a singer."

Bono's Harvard address, June 2001

Though I must say the elevation tour is also special to me because it was the first time I've seen them since the Joshua Tree and that was also an experience I will never forget. First time I've been 5 -10 feet away from the band.

smile.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Back
Top Bottom