First New U2 Album Experience?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first U2 purchase was AB, but my first new U2 release was POP. (I became a fan in early 1996.) I was a fan, but not a huge fan, so I don't think I got it until later on the evening it came out. Yeah, it definitely came out on March 4th, 1997. I remember because it was the stupid joke among my friends and I that U2's new album came out on "command day." (March 4th? March forth? Get it?
wink.gif
)

Aaaaanyway. I pretty much liked the album at first listen, although I must say if anything, it's only grown on me since then.

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

My very first U2 purchase- 'Rattle & Hum'. I can't honestly remember my first thoughts though.
Every other album thereafter I bought on the release date.
I remember collecting all the old stuff was fun.

My first U2 album was Joshua Tree (bought on cassette in the spring of 1988). My first new U2 album was Rattle and Hum, which I bought on the first day (October 10, 1988). I skipped Chemistry in college to run out and buy it. I still have the "long box" that the CD came in (remember "long boxes"?). I remember the movie came out on November 4, 1988 which I saw on opening night...got a poster as well. Since then, I've bought every new U2 album on the day of release (Nov 1991, July 1993, March 1997, Oct 2000)

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
hmm u guys changed this topic.

Thanks U2girl! Thats my new word. Im going to walk around saying that now.
smile.gif

You're welcome.

I got Achtung Baby on tape as a Christmas present when I was 15. My sisters were quite a lot into the band, but I just remember I gut more than annoyed listening to Babyface over and over again when they played Zooropa.
Anyway, I looked at the tape and what was that: A snake and a naked woman on the front cover! What was this: Metallica?! Having listened to cheesy pop melodies my entire life, this cover wasn't really my type of music (so I thought). My sisters asked me after I got the tape: Are you listening to U2? Me: Sure! (Tryed to looked cool though I had never really heard of the band).
So I put the casette in my walk man and heard the first sounds of "Zoo Station". It was awful! I absolutely hated it! I removed the tape and hid it somewhere. Six months later I found it, decided to listen to it again and I was hooked. I listened to it over and over, I mean, really, a LOT of times. And I couldn't get enough of it...To this day I owe my sisters big time for buying me the tape..
smile.gif
And now I'm a much bigger fan than they are...

My first new album was POP. I remember being extremely disappointed, and it took me more than a year really to love it. It was a slow starter
smile.gif

------------------
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is though everything is a miracle". - A. Einstein

[This message has been edited by elevation (edited 02-02-2002).]

The first U2 album I bought was Achtung Baby (on cassette). I made my dad take me to the record store and when I came home I listened to it over and over and over again on my walkman. Then I bought everything else they had released up till AB in the following weeks after. I bought Zooropa and POP in the summer of 98, and The Best Of and ATYCLB on the day of release.

biggrin.gif

------------------
My scream got lost in a paper cup...

Originally posted by zooropamanda:

Bono screaming like a woman about fruit?!

Haha!
biggrin.gif

Have to admit I only became a *proper* fan after ATYCLB despite liking them for years - but it was still incredible going out and buying stuff like Boy which I'd never heard before for the first time. Counting the days until the new album (and tour
smile.gif
) though.

Back
Top Bottom