First-glance Grammy Predictions... Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Who do you think will most likely grab the prize in their category? ...

Please divulge... U2-elected categories, New Artist, Best Rock, Best Alternative, etc. etc. and any category that you might care for...

And the early predictions are....

Originally posted by theSoulfulMofo:
Who do you think will most likely grab the prize in their category? ...

Please divulge... U2-elected categories, New Artist, Best Rock, Best Alternative, etc. etc. and any category that you might care for...

And the early predictions are....

I'll limit my predictions to what U2 themselves might win. My prediction is that they get Album of the Year, and nothing else. And no, I'm not kidding.

------------------
"It wouldn't be a cry from the heart
or a high, hurtin' wail
we could look down and laugh now
I'd be all together
I'd be totally removed..."

I think u2 stands a good chance of getting a few grammies if not all they are not nominated for.If the grammy voters really listen to the songs that are nominated(and albums)and keeping in mind the events of September 11th,u2 has a great chance of winning them!Keep in mind many people thought Santana wouldn't get all the grammies he got and he did so.....

I doubt they would win the categories they swept last year AGAIN, so...

i think Album of the year, or Rock album of the year.

Don't understand why U2 are up for Best Album of the year... when ATYCLB came out in 2000!
confused.gif

U2 will probably win about 3

Originally posted by Bonoforever:
Don't understand why U2 are up for Best Album of the year... when ATYCLB came out in 2000!
confused.gif

Because the but-off date for albums or songs to be nominated is Sept 31 (i think), so it wasn't eligible last year and is this year.

Well, Im pretty sure theyll win 2 for sure... but since Im pretty cocky, Ill say that our boys will go 8 for 8 !!

I dont know, but Rock album, Best album are locked down in my mind.

...on second thought, i have a feeling one of the songs will win too (either Walk on, or Stuck, or Elevation).

So... Album of the year and/or Rock album of the year and one of the songs.

2, maybe 3 Grammys.

ps: Are we talking predictions or bets here? Should there be prizes for people who guess?
wink.gif

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-05-2002).]

8 Grammy nods, but two in one category, so that means a maximum of 7 wins.

The fact that U2 have DIFFERENT songs in the Record of the Year and Song of the Year categories hurts them. While not always, usually the Record of the Year goes to the Song of the Year. Since U2 doesn't have one song represented in both categories, their chances of winning either are slim. And since U2 won those awards last year, this will hurt them even more.

However, I can see U2 winning an award in the Best Rock Song category, especially since U2 have two songs there. That gives them a 40% chance of winning - double that of the other nominees. Also, I foresee a nod in the other Rock categories, such as Best Rock Album and Best Rock Performance by a Group or Duo.

Of course, the award I WANT them to win is Best Album. Along with Record of the Year, this is the most prestigious award. If U2 can win this one, I will be elated. And I think U2 has a good chance. The album is still on the U.S. charts, well over a year after it was released. It has generated some recent hits (the success of "Stuck..." really helped this album). The tour was huge and U2 don't have a backlash going - rather, praise.

Therefore, I think U2 have a chance at 4 awards.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
8 Grammy nods, but two in one category, so that means a maximum of 7 wins.

The fact that U2 have DIFFERENT songs in the Record of the Year and Song of the Year categories hurts them. While not always, usually the Record of the Year goes to the Song of the Year. Since U2 doesn't have one song represented in both categories, their chances of winning either are slim. And since U2 won those awards last year, this will hurt them even more.

However, I can see U2 winning an award in the Best Rock Song category, especially since U2 have two songs there. That gives them a 40% chance of winning - double that of the other nominees. Also, I foresee a nod in the other Rock categories, such as Best Rock Album and Best Rock Performance by a Group or Duo.

Of course, the award I WANT them to win is Best Album. Along with Record of the Year, this is the most prestigious award. If U2 can win this one, I will be elated. And I think U2 has a good chance. The album is still on the U.S. charts, well over a year after it was released. It has generated some recent hits (the success of "Stuck..." really helped this album). The tour was huge and U2 don't have a backlash going - rather, praise.

Therefore, I think U2 have a chance at 4 awards.

You're right about Record & Song of the year. They're very unlikely to win either of those categories for all the reasons you mentioned.

Rock Album is a shoe-in. They're the only nominee also up for Album of the Year. You can't be nominated for OVERALL Album of the Year and not win the "genre" category, unless, of course, there is another OVERALL Album of the Year nominee in your genre.

And having said that, think they'll win the overall award. I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't.

As for Rock Song, what mug222 said. Having two nominations is cool, but ultimately it will result in them having almost no chance at winning the award. They don't have a 40% chance at it because this isn't simply pulling a name out of a hat. People vote, and that changes the whole dynamic of it. Train should win this, both because it's a good song and because the U2 vote will probably be split somewhat.

They're also up for Best Pop Song (by duo), and I think they'll win that.

I foresee wins for:
Best Album
Best Rock Album
Best Pop Song

Anything else I'll be greatly surprised and pleased with.

my prediction is that the grammys will suck once again

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I agree with Mike:

U2 wins in:
1. Pop Song of Year by Duo/Group
2. Rock Album of the Year(Dark horse candidate: PJ Harvey, who really *should* win)
3. Album of the Year (fingers crossed for this one)

A. Keys will win Song/Record of the Year. The Rock Song of the Year will go to Coldplay or someone else by virtue of U2's two entries splitting the U2 vote.

I think U2 has a good chance of getting album of the year. I think the only tough competition is Bob Dylan. Sometimes the Grammys favor the older acts, like Steely Dan getting it last yer. I doubt Outkast's album "Stankonia"(LOL!) is going to win. I mean, look at the title: STANKONIA!?

For some reason, Sept. 11, year-to-date album sales, and the biggest tour act of 2001... I wouldn't be surprised if they won all 7...

But I think I give my analysis and reasoning later on.

I think Alicia Keys will get the Song and Record of the Year, and her Best New Artist award is a 100% lock. U2 could get:

1) The Best Rock Album - although in all fairness PJ Harvey should win this one as well as the Female Rock Performance.

2) Best Rock Song - maybe, although "Drops of Jupiter" is a strong bet.

3) Best Pop Performance - wouldn't it be fun if they got the awards for both Pop and Rock!
smile.gif

4) Best Album - I hope they get this one. Bob Dylan is a strong competition, but perhaps the Academy will choose to award "younger people" this year,
smile.gif

I hope that either Bjork or Coldplay win Alternative Album (which both deserved much more nominations).

Originally posted by Salome:
my prediction is that the grammys will suck once again

oh, salome, how can you say that when U2 went 3 for 3 last year?

oh yeah, I forgot about, who was that guy? ewww, MnM, oh Eminem.

Great grammy years: 1987: Paul Simon & Graceland. 1988: Duh. 1990: Bonnie Raitt & Nick of Time.

Ok... Here's my analysis:

Record of the Year: Walk On, U2
Reason: September 11th... a teargusher music video of NYC, and U2's inspiration, wisdom, encouragement, and prophetic response...

Album of the Year: ATYCLB, U2
Reason: Bob Dylan, I think, is a formidable dark horse, because I don't think it's very accessible to the mainstream public. U2 might more than likely win out.

Song of the Year: Fallin', Alicia Keys
Reason: R&Bwise, I think Stuck doesn't have much of a chance to Fallin'.

Best New Artist: Alicia Keys
Reason: Don't know about the other three. But Linkin Park? Com'n.. only junior highers would vote for that crap, if they were in the committe... Alicia Keys is probably the most respectable artist to enter the scene since Lauryn Hill, IMHPO.

Best Rock Performance: Elevation, U2
Reason: Aerosmith who? Coldplay, oh, you mean Radiohead! The Space Between what? (other than hardcore fans, DMB might be overrated for some) Train's song is catchy (I admit) at the moment, but that's probably just it.

Best Hard Rock Performance: Smooth Criminal, Alient Ant Farm
Reason: I think they have the talent + charisma than most nu metal rapcore bands.

Best Rock Song: Walk On, U2
Reason: See various reason listed above about U2 and opinion on other bands.

Best Rock Album: ATYCLB, U2
Reason: Hands down.

Best Alternative Album: Amnesiac, Radiohead
Reason: Hmmm... Coldplay, Radiohead. Coldplay, Radiohead.

Any Questions?

Originally posted by ericb:
I doubt Outkast's album "Stankonia"(LOL!) is going to win. I mean, look at the title: STANKONIA!?

Unfortunately the recording academy actually listens to the albums before not voting for them, and since Stankonia is an awesome album it almost deserves the award. However, I doubt it'll win, I was surprised (happily) that it was nominated (along with outkast's other noms.

I think U2 will either come away with 1 award or as many as 6. I have a feeling that Feb. 27th could be a another sweep, but my heart tells me they won't end up batting .500. Then again, I suppose they could recieve 2 or 3.

1)Their best bet is Album of the Year. India Aire is unknown and because of that stigma she will not stand a chance in this category. Dylan may surprise, but I doubt he'll win. Outkast is too urban for this mainstream award. O' Brother Where Art Tou? is too country for the mainstream.

My odds:
U2--------EVEN
Arie------50-1
Dylan-----4-1
O Brother-20-1
Outkast---100-1

2)Record of the Year: I'm still stunned to find India Arie with so many nominations considering how few had actually heard of her before the 4th of January. Outkast is too urban for this award. Train could pull it off, but their album didn't get rave reviews. That could drive 'rock loving' voters in U2's direction. Additionally, Walk On became the alternative American Anthem throughout the days following 9/11 and that doesn't hurt when people are trying to pick a song that represents the past year in music. Therefore I think it's a competition between U2 and Keyes with the Irish having an early lead.

My odds:

U2-----------4-1
Keyes--------3-1
Outkast------15-1
Arie---------50-1
Train--------7-1

3)Song of the Year: Train's "Drops of Jupiter" sounds like an overrated, Elton John ballad from 1973, plus don't forget the bad reviews the album recieved. This award tends to go to established acts. Train are not "Grammy" material. Nelly Furtado's hit was a exactly that, but does anyone really think it will win? No, and it won't. India Arie's Video...do I need to reiterate my case against India Arie? I didn't think so. Once again, that leaves U2 and Keyes. If U2 wins for Walk On, I can see Stuck taking this trophey. Will voters mark U2 across their ballots? Unlikely. Which makes me reconsider my prediction for Record of the Year. I think U2 will hurt themselves by having two different songs nominated in these similar categories. I give it to Keyes.

My odds:

U2----------- 4-1
Train-------- 7-1
Keyes-------- 3-1
Furtado------25-1
Arie---------50-1

4)Best Pop Performance By a Duo or Group with Vocal: Backstreet Boys and N'Sync cancell each other out. Five for Fighting had that song...oh great...let's give them a prestigous award for having a short-lived visit with mediocre songwriting....NOT!!!!! U2 will win this award for the 2nd straight year. REM could shock everyone with a win, but rarely do you see surprises at the Grammys.

My odds:

Backstreet Boys--10-1
5 for Fighting---15-1
N'Sync-----------8-1
REM--------------5-1
U2---------------3-1

5)Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: Aerosmith has never won a Grammy, have they? If they have, they'll still walk away emptyhanded. Jaded was a cool song, but if they wouldn't award Aerosmith's earlier work, they won't start with Jaded. Coldplay's "Yellow": Nice song, but it's the dark horse. Train's "Drops of Jupiter": Nice song, which has potential in this category. Dave Matthews Band's "Space Between": I always thought this was more of a pop/love
song. Maybe it's not, but I still think it won't win. U2's 'Elevation' is my favorite, and will be in a deadheat race between Train, and Matthews.

My odds:

Aerosmith------20-1
Coldplay------- 7-1
Dave Matthews-- 4-1
Train---------- 3-1
U2------------- 4-1

6)Best Rock Song: Jaded and Yellow are plain OUT. Elevation and Walk on will cancel each
other, which leaves Drops of Jupiter. A shoe in unless voters rally behind Walk On. Elevation will be the song that gets overlooked by Walk On due to its meaningful message.

My odds:

Train---------- 2-1
U2 (Elevation)- 15-1
Aerosmith------ 20-1
U2 (Walk On)--- 5-1
Coldplay------- 7-1

7)Best Rock Album: Everyone keeps saying that U2 are a "shoe-in" for this award, but I think differently. Ryan Adams is being compared to Springsteen and Dylan, and that is a good sign for winning this award. He's not nominated for anything else, so voters may recognize him in this category while giving U2 the big prize at the end of the night. Aerosmith is a joke, Harvey is great
and all, but come on, and Linkin' Park is a longshot.

My odds:

Adams--------2-1
Aerosmith----15-1
Harvey-------30-1
Linkin' Park-25-1
U2-----------3-2

U2 isn't going to sweep, but they have sept. 11 sentimental value and a great financial year to back them up. my predictions:

Album of the Year
i'd say it's between U2 and India Arie. the grammys love bob dylan, and i'm not ruling him out, but he did just win for time out of mind. india and U2 have the most noms of anyone in the category, but no one knows india and she doesn't have the commercial success the grammys love. i'd say U2.

Record of the Year
i'd say key's fallin. it was the stand out song of the year, it's beautifully crafted and commercially successful. walk on stands a good chance because of sept. 11 value, but it's hard to tell. i personally think (other then U2) that ms. jackson is the best recording in the category, but their hip hop. that sadly hurts them.

Song of the Year
alicia keys. if walk on was nominated, i'd say it could win, but stuck doesn't stand a chance. it's just not as strong a song.

Best New Artist
okay, U2 is obviously not in this catergory, but i always find it intresting. keys will win, though i think nelly furtado is just as worthy to win.

Rock Album
i would go with U2. they are the only one in this catergory also up for album of the year. i don't know who ryan adams is, so he could win. aerosmith and linkin park are joke nominees. pj harvey is good, but doesn't have the commercial succuess that U2 does. afterall, how many people went to the elevation concert just to see pj?

Pop Performance by Duo or Group
i would say it's between U2 and five for fighting. backstreet boys and nsync cancel each other out. REM has fallen out of favor with critics. stuck and superman are both great songs, but superman has sentimental value. i expect it to win, but our irish boys could pull off something.

Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group
it's between DMB, U2, and train. train's a crappy band, but the song is apparently popular with academy voters. DMB is a commercial succuess and it's not that bad a song. U2 is also a commerical succuess and elevation is an honest to god rock song. it could go anyway, i would guess train.
mad.gif

Best Rock Song
it hurts U2 to be against themselves. if they pull off a win it will be with walk on. yellow is a worthy winner, but it's too british to win at the american awards. most americans don't know the band. jaded is a joke, so again train is probably the winner. how can a crappy band win so many grammys?

...should be an intresting show. if they lose, i'll try to refrain from throwing things. last year, when madonna lost to macy gray, i threw the remote across the room and smacked my brothe in the face.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

I would revise those Rock Album of the Year odds - although PJ Harvey is a dark horse, her odds are certainly better than 30-1. She'll garner significantly more support than the Aerosmiths of the world and I'm telling you will give U2 a challenge in this category. Greatly aiding her cause is the fact that Stories... is an unbelievably great album.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
However, I can see U2 winning an award in the Best Rock Song category, especially since U2 have two songs there. That gives them a 40% chance of winning - double that of the other nominees.
I don't think you can quantify it in that way. In fact, I think having two songs in this category will have the opposite effect, by cancelling out votes.

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 01-05-2002).]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom