First album or era that comes to people's minds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
toscano said:

And I answered: Floyd, StonesWho, Springsteen, Zeppelin

Of those 4, I'm only really a fan of one.

Floyd sales went through the roof after Live 8, Zeppelin is STILL selling well, the Who and Springsteen are selling out big tours and th eStones tour has been a MASSIVE success. Doing what U2 can't do, a stadium tour in the US

yeah, but are those band's new material as well known as their old? when people think of the Stones, do they think of Satisfaction, or a A Bigger Bang? those bands sell out tours because they're already legends. the same could be said for U2, but people come to hear the new stuff just as much as the classics.

as for U2 not being able to do a stadium tour in the US...I disagree. they could if they wanted. after Popmart maybe they don't want to, but come on. if they can sell out 4+ nights in some cities they could easily play stadiums there

AtomicBono said:

yeah, but are those band's new material as well known as their old? when people think of the Stones, do they think of Satisfaction, or a A Bigger Bang? those bands sell out tours because they're already legends. the same could be said for U2, but people come to hear the new stuff just as much as the classics.

as for U2 not being able to do a stadium tour in the US...I disagree. they could if they wanted. after Popmart maybe they don't want to, but come on. if they can sell out 4+ nights in some cities they could easily play stadiums there

there's very few places they do 4 nights, and in those places many are multiple show attenders, I doubt they could do a full us stadium tour, and quite happy they're not as I prefer arenas

u2 could do stadium tours in the US without a doubt , they have said before that they prefer to do arena's,

Zootlesque said:
Can you guys think of any bands who's latter years are as popular or more than their so called peak/glory years? I can't really think of any. Strictly talking popularity here, not if it's good or bad, cos that's highly subjective. I have to hand it to U2 for being successful in sustaining their popularity throughout their career (so far at least) despite the low key Zooropa, Passengers & Pop years.

The Beatles. Most people recognize the poppiness of the Beatles earlier stuff, but most people don't love it. I think that while (possibly) less widely known, the Beatles later stuff is certainly more loved than their early stuff. Albums like the White Album and Abbey Road were definately over the hump for them, and even Revolver and Sergeant Pepper were in the latter half of their carreer.

It's when the Beatles started to shine as creative geniuses, rather than silly poppers.

~A.j.~

I wouldn't call Zooropa low key, and certainly not as low key as Passengers. Numb, Lemon and Stay were all over the radio and TV like rashes during '93/'94... and I wasn't even a fan then. :)

Although I concede the point that your average Joe on the street today would recognise One before he recognised Numb.

Everyone in my highschool thinks U2 are old losers who play adult contemporary music because all they know is ATYCLB.

I'm actually amazed I became a U2 fan.

People think of U2 and they think of Joshua tree, even though AB is arguably the better album.

Same shit as with every classic rock band.

People think of Zeppelin and think of Zoso, even though two and three are fantastic albums.

and Sunday Bloody Sunday and New year's Day and Pride and I still haven't found and With or Without You and Where the Streets

people here seem to forget that U2's most memorable hits (songs that might still be played decades away from now) are mostly 80s songs

sorry to have to break the news that people won't be thinking about Acrobat
even though people here would reckon Achtung is their best album

It depends on who it is.

Younger fans- ATYCLB or most recent
Older fans- War (from what I've seen)
Casual fan- JT or AB (height of their popularity)

Me- UF or JT

phillyfan26 said:
Everyone in my highschool thinks U2 are old losers who play adult contemporary music because all they know is ATYCLB.

I'm actually amazed I became a U2 fan.

To be honest it was the same when I was at high school in the late 80s early 90's!!
Not many U2 fans around me when i was growing up either, but then I never responded or reacted to peer pressure.
Zoo Tv and UF are the periods which always spring to mind for me.

This depends on the age of the fan and/or when he/she got into music.

An older casual fan knows of the new material ("Beautiful Day" and "Vertigo") and most likely enjoys it, but probably remembers U2 best for their JT-AB era. U2 had tons of top 40 hits around the world then, and thanks to R&H, had 3 big releases from 1987-1991. So even though AB doesn't quite flow with JT or R&H, the hit machine that was U2 back then kept right on going. :)

However, I think newer fans definitely relate to the ATYCLB/HTDAAB era. People in their preteens, teens or early 20's might first have heard about U2 with "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo".

Therefore, I feel U2 associate U2 with one of those two eras.

Back
Top Bottom