Finally we have an album: SONGS OF INNOCENCE!! DISCUSSION THREAD ONLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
listening to this album feels like the first time i was listening to pop..foking sounds great..better than the last 3 u2 albums! proly will actually go out and buy the CD..

Trevgreg’s Initial Thoughts on One Listen:
Standouts so far… The Miracle, Every Breaking Wave (redux, haha), Sleep like a Baby Tonight, This is Where You Can Reach Me Now, The Troubles.

Overall, I’m not completely knocked out by the quality, but I’m feeling it for the most part. Quite a few of the middle tracks like Iris, Raised by Wolves, and Volcano might have to grow on me in the long run. But I’m digging the vibe of everything for the most part. They all sound like actual songs as well (i.e., not WAS or COL or some of the more boring tracks on NLOTH), so that will only help it translate into a live setting.

WAS, COL, boring?? :crack:

Not had a chance to sit and digest it yet - that'll happen tomorrow - but first impressions are there is NO FLAB. It sounds really good, it's shockingly, amazingly, not remotely staid. It makes me want to leap about and punch the air and shout "YESSSSSSS! They actually fucking pulled it off! THEY DIDN'T LET ME DOWN!"

thanks for the help with the download from i-pants. now safely on the ipod. can't believe this is happening tonight!

listening to this album feels like the first time i was listening to pop..foking sounds great..better than the last 3 u2 albums! proly will actually go out and buy the CD..

Yeah, I have a feeling this will be my opinion after the newness wears off as well.

If shaun vox likes it, we know it's a strong album. :D

Well, it's all personal opinion, of course. But that's just mine. :wink:

I get what you mean about live potential, those tracks were proof that 360 was designed separate from the album (or at least it's early session) but they're two of the most compelling lyrics they've done in a long time and the instrumentation/production of both is stunning in its subtlety and vibe the way none of what I've heard today is. WAS is one of my favorite things they've ever done, the reworking of Veni Veni Emmanuel for such a heartbreaking context.

So uh.. now if we could only hear:

Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom, The Troubles (Alternative version) and Sleep Like a Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake)

right click the booklet in itunes, then 'get info'. in the info box click the 'options' tab and change the media type to book :up:

at the risk of gilding the lily early on, this album is amazing. love the production, and as an album it's definitely more cohesive than NLOTH. Didn't think I'd be both hearing a brand new U2 album tonight and absolutely loving it. a great surprise (not to mention relief) very, very impressed. was really worried it would be a case of too many cooks will all those producers but as David said above me it sounds surprisingly focused. not at all what i was expecting after Invisible, which certainly wouldn't have fit.

the Paul McGuinness dedication in the booklet made me smile too. though bloody hell that is a comprehensive page of thank you's. hope that isn't indicative of this being their last hurrah and more of a reflection over their career thanks to the music..:wink:

This doesn't work for me. :( The media option is greyed out. How do I fix that so I can read liner notes?

My second listen - I have a feeling that this record will get some attention in the indie scene and gain new young fans.

Cedarwood Road rocks, but I think I just ran into the first song that is a little lyrically awkward for me. I knew it would happen. lol. Still lovin it.

Man, I'm ready for some piping #hottakes. I gotta listen to this more than once to dish out my own though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom