Finally! The mp3 of U2 recording at HQ, 05-17-08 (no links please!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG thanks DOL!!!!!

ok i've already listened once with a pretty good sound system but it was through speakers, i'm gonna listen again with headphones...

right now all i know is that Bono's voice is fucking beautiful...

ok more in a little! :hyper:

for those that cant hear it, it's mid-tempo and groove based, Edge's chiming guitars are very melodic and driving but not in a shimmering way, it sounds a bit "dirty"...

For all us unfortunate working souls with no headphones or fascist internet policies, can someone attempt to describe the thing? Does it have guitars, keyboards, piano, is it slow, fast, happy, sad, cheesy, non-cheesy?
Guitars, no keyboards or piano (from what I can hear). It's slow-medium speed, kinda happy but not sugary, it's got a sort of melancholic feel to it (like many U2 songs, it's bittersweet) and not cheesy at all.

Far from cheesy as possible imo, not your typical radio friendly post 2000 song imo.

i f*cking like this, i really do... Bono sounds like he's found a sound for his 2008 voice... thank you so much DOL, sincerely...

I should add that so far it's reminded me both of beach clip 402 from 2006 and WITS. But it's not really like WITS :hmm: WITS is more soary and sugary.

for me this is a million times better than WITS already, it's a completely different animal, it has a dirty dirgy feel. I feel very very optimistic right now... This doesn't sound like a radio friendly unit shifter!

it reminds me of early 90's indie groove stuff with a great voice... I hope Bono has got over the Beatles thing with WITS...

Yay Rob i was hoping you'd discover this soon. hey, remember how I said it would surface on Tuesday? Oooohh, maybe i AM psychic...:shifty: :shh:

hahaha! I can't believe you're saying that! I woke up this morning saying to myself, "Ok it's Tuesday! I hope Rosebud is right!" and sure enough, you were!! nice call! :lol:

for those that cant hear it, it's mid-tempo and groove based, Edge's chiming guitars are very melodic and driving but not in a shimmering way, it sounds a bit "dirty"...

yeah this is a good description

I hear many drawn out notes from Bono, his voice sounds unreal- lots of soaring high notes, very very melodic from Edge, chimmering all over the place, and i'm pretty sure i hear a solo from Edge in the latter half of the recording...it's not too long but it all sounds reeeally really great, I'm very encouraged by this...Bono sounds absolutely brilliant :up:

ok i'll listen like 30 more times at least and try to make out what i can...if anything new comes i'll be sure to post...once again, thanks very much DOL! :)

Thanks! From 2:26 it sounds like a very "rock" guitar solo, with different guitars.

Anybody else hear "no line"?

i'm listening...very hard to make out lyrics...I might also be hearing a chanting of some sort, like edge and bono and larry? :hmm: no, probably not, but i'm hearing chanting at one part I think...still not certain...

Thanks for the clip, but I can't hear shit.

possibly you are very frustrated that you've waited and waited and the quality is worse than you expected?

you reeally have to listen carefully and you can most certainly hear "shit" :wink:

oh and make sure your volume is turned up to a decent volume...and use headphones if you have them :)

oh and if you are wearing headphones you might want to take them off your ears a little when that one angry car comes flying in...it's sort of grating on the ear :yikes:

Guitars, no keyboards or piano (from what I can hear). It's slow-medium speed, kinda happy but not sugary, it's got a sort of melancholic feel to it (like many U2 songs, it's bittersweet) and not cheesy at all.

Brilliant. This sounds quite intriguing. Thanks much! :)

Oooh! Smooches from the gunslinger! Shall I start singing Careless Love like Susan Delgado?

:lol: The Stand references, ftw!

Thanks SO much, DOL!!

You all must have better ears or headphones than I do, because I couldn't make out lyrics, but what I did hear, I found instantly appealing. I kind of got a vague 60s-ish vibe, except a little more trippy. Not like WITS to me, that song has never really appealed to me all that much. I don't hate it, it's just kind of meh. I'm very excited about this, though. I can see what Lanois meant by soaring vocals - Bono sounds amazing. :drool:

it sounds big, but not like it's begging you to like it. the more i hear it the more Bono sounds like he's singing in the style of Perry farrell or Liam gallagher, he's hanging onto words rather than notes. It's got a swagger and arrogance. I really really would love to hear this properly becasue in my mind it has swathes of keyboard and atmosphere that Danny and Brian have added in... Ha! my mind is working overtime :rockon:

come on now, we can't say he sounds better than ZooTV or anything by this clip. it's a cool clip and i'm glad it was shared- even if it's difficult to hear anything (as anticipated) but it's not THAT telling into his vocals.

come on now, we can't say he sounds better than ZooTV or anything by this clip. it's a cool clip and i'm glad it was shared- even if it's difficult to hear anything (as anticipated) but it's not THAT telling into his vocals.

ok I don't think Rosebud was entirely serious, but it ALMOST is really THAT telling...if you listen carefully you can just imagine what this is going to be like in studio quality...:drool::drool:

honestly this sounds like a cross between MW and RHMT....:hmm:

Back
Top Bottom