"Filthy, phony, iPod-whoring whores"!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Here's what Rolling Stone thinks about our beloved Irish lads now-a-days. Just got this little article off rolingstone.com. has a nice little U2 opening and talks about some other crap too. Hope you like it.

"Well Hung at Dawn

Uno, dos, tres . . . catorce? Yep, you're buggin' us

Jeebus Frog-Fucking Christmas, is there anyone dumber than an undecided voter? . . . Wait one sec. Our band started playing last week's column. What can we say?
Remember the nice things we said last time about "Vertigo"? Well, we take it all back. Turns out U2 are the same whores we thought they were last time out. Filthy, phony, iPod-whoring whores.

The fact that the Media Whores -- yes, they're still out there, even if the Web site is not -- have decided to attack Jon Stewart post-Crossfire just proves his point. Oh, and Ken Tucker is as big a dick in New York as he is in any magazine.

Bob Novak? Cock. Oh, and a traitor to his country.

Thom Yorke is iffy about appearing on the new Band Aid single. Of course he is. While we think it's a silly idea overall, we're cool with it as long as Fran Healy says "Feed the people. Stay alive."

Brandon Routh -- the greatest casting discovery since Hayden Christensen! And that's worked out pretty well, right?

We accepted the arrival of Lois Lane, mostly because she was crazy hot. The Flash was wrong, but a relatively minor infraction. A "foreign exchange student" named Mikail Mxyzptlk is absofuckinglutely unacceptable.

One assumes Eminem and Kid Rock are no longer on speaking terms . . . And hey, how 'bout our next President's beloved Sox? Jason does have a soft spot for the Astros, but since their owner is a Bush-loving Baptist, it's just as well they lost.

Flash News: Luna broke up. Hold on. We couldn't possibly care less . . . And what about this new Helmet record? Face it, Jimmy: that $1 million advance is never coming back.

Helmet: They were the next Nirvana, y'know.

According to babbling Sirius Left of Center DJ Pappy, one of the highlights of the Vote for Change show was Bruce and R.E.M.'s 'cover" of "Because the Night." Sigh. Incidentally, Michael Stipe's onstage mincing has really gotten out of control. He makes Jim Kerr look like Miles Davis.

Eddie Vedder + The E Street Band + "Better Man" = Rock!

Rilo Kiley are pretty swell, but they're no theaudience. Speaking of, we heartily recommend the self-titled Angular Records debut album from Elizabeth Harper, which reminds us a great deal of said theaudience. She's from NYC, but you'd never know it.

Excellent Jenny Lewis reference on Gilmore Girls, btw. That said, "It's going to be the Mountain Girl trial all over again": Best Reference Ever.

Turns out Elliot Smith fans care much more about their hero than Jeff Buckley fans . . . A publicist recently sent us an e-mail promoting the appearance of a band on "Carson." We know we're geezers, but that's just wrong.

You know who else was swell? Richard Kiley.

While we strongly object to the phrase, 'Former Guided by Voices guitarist Doug Gillard," we are happy to plug the new solo record by former Death of Samantha guitarist Doug Gillard, out now on Pink Frost (who receive extra Well Hung credit for the Chills reference).

We were going to wrap up this installment with a ringing endorsement of John Kerry, but we've decided to dedicating this remaining space to the memory of John Peel, whose influence and inspiration on our lives cannot be overestimated. The word "irreplaceable" barely does him justice. Honor him by immediately blasting "Teenage Kicks" at top volume. Then throw on a Fall record. Or something by Extreme Noise Terror. Or the obscure reggae B-side of your choice. We miss him already.

For our younger American readers who don't understand the hubbub about some DJ's passing, we'd like to offer a beautiful tribute penned by the kind of artist Peely loved to champion, our pal Greg McDonald of the Dawn Parade."

you can expect things like this with the I-Pod situation. And in my opinion, you cant really get mad at it. I have no problem with it, but if some u2 fans do, they do have a point. Anyway, this RS column isnt a surprise cause it always takes shots at Bono, and sometimes u2. I remember one column where they ripped the hell out of Bono (I think when he met Bush), but then said something like "Larry, Adam, and Edge are cool, but Bono is..." blah blah blah.

To add: I dont have a problem with the I-Pod thing, but I would have preffered if they wouldnt have done it. I though the I-tunes commercial was pretty brilliant, getting promoted while not having to pay a cent and receiving no money at the same time for it...but I dont really care about this.

You forgot this part:

The above are the opinions of Cohen and Krugman, and not necessarily the editors of Rolling Stone.

Last edited:
UnforgettableLemon said:
The above are the opinions of Cohen and Krugman, and not necessarily the editors of Rolling Stone.

thanks uL, I forgot their names. ya, those guys hate Bono.

Yeah, I just don't think it's fair to direct this at the magazine, as much as I hate them, because of guest columnists and their opinions.

I wouldn't be so concerned about Well Hung At Dawn - look back at their past articles and you will see what I mean. There column is by no means an accurate reflection of what everybody thinks. They are keen on the brutally funny rant about the state of music/entertainment, and you have to admit that U2/Bono are easy targets - especially for those which think they sold out, the iPod thing only goes to confirm this. Oh well. U2 are still a great band, and Well Hung At Dawn is still funny.

Lancemc said:

Flash News: Luna broke up. Hold on. We couldn't possibly care less . . . Incidentally, Michael Stipe's onstage mincing has really gotten out of control. He makes Jim Kerr look like Miles Davis.

Damn funny. But that's the thing about humor - even those we love might fall victim.

Gah, I can't even argue about it anylonger...
There's people who will feel that U2 is selling out no matter what the arguments are. But rest assured, it won't be long before other major artist move from their just their web sites to the same type of marketing venture.

Something I read today.

iTunes aside, Web is changing the music industry

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5433891.html?tag=zdfd.newsfeed

How long before these bands and many like them jump on the iPod bandwagon or something like it.

It's all good, I just want the music - and for someone besides the record labels making all the money. (which they will continue to make)

Last edited:
Rolling Stone is a rag anyway. They should just stick to their Britney Spears covers and shut their pie holes. No one cares anymore.

i find it hilarious how people bend over backwards to legitimize this ipod thing. i guess people's minds can be easily swayed afterall.

let's see, maybe i can i make it work to my advantage...

VOTE KERRY. VOTE KERRY. VOTE NADER. VOTE NADER. DON'T VOTE BUSH. REAL FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS VOTE REPUBLICAN.

that was pretty lame. sorry, it's late and i'm a complete bitch right now.

wow, that was just nasty all-around. Sure, they opened with a salvo aimed at U2, but they had lots to loose.

Are they frequent guest-columnists? Sounds sorta like a updated version of those old wink-wink aren't-the-celebs-all-a-bunch-of-losers-ultimately 'gossip' columns from the early days of hollywood. catty on steroids.
I think I actually subscribed to RS (something I haven't thought about in an age) like a couple decades ago, but have found it so crap lately that when I pick it up at the 'brary it gets put back in a wink almost always.
mostly ads now, isn't it?

cheers all...

i love how rolling stone will bash U2 for the I Pod deal, yet put Britinay Spears on their cover.

beau2ifulday said:
does anyone know how much U2 have recieved for endorsing the ipod?

With the iPod no money changed hands.

I'm so sick of this debate about the iPod and iTunes thing....to deny that music is heading into this direction would be foolhardy. U2 was wise to embrace this way of music distribution--the implications and benefits of which seem to be wider than once thought.

Back
Top Bottom