Favourite live version of the Fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elevation is number one, easily. I love that intro :drool:

Its interesting how ZooTv is probably the worst performance of that song.

Elevation Boston by FAR. Sounds so good played in that key instead, the intro is excellent and the solo is just out of this world! Any other live performance just sounds BORING. :no:

3, 2, 1...I love the Zoo TV Fly but it sounds almost too much like the album version IMO

I am amazed by the lack of respect ZooTV Fly gets. It's the only version with :drool: worthy guitar, that sound is as perfect as I have heard it.

The drums are better as well with that classic tom-tom beat.

2861U2 said:
Elevation is number one, easily. I love that intro :drool:

Its interesting how ZooTv is probably the worst performance of that song.

Yeah right. Zoo TV is the only version where the drums are right and the guitar has the wah wah effect, how the fuc#ing guitar should be played. While there is nothing wrong with the way they tried to change the song for the latter tours, a nod of appreciation to the excellent changed intro from Elevation, the Zoo TV version with Mullen playing the drums with proper innovation is the only true great live version of this song. So the only great version is Zoo TV. Anybody who says otherwise talks out there arse!

Vertigo
Elevation
Zoo

I'll never understand why Elevation Fly gets all the praise it does. The intro is fantastic, and then unfortunately Edge's guitar tone is anything but sinister, and playing the song in a higher key wusses it up.

Canadiens1160 said:
I'll never understand why Elevation Fly gets all the praise it does. The intro is fantastic, and then unfortunately Edge's guitar tone is anything but sinister, and playing the song in a higher key wusses it up.

Me neither. The anger isn't there. I like some of the Vertigo performances I've heard. I guess like most songs there are on nights and off nights. The great are fucking incredible, the weak are equally poor. I'd take the ZooTV version, with the extra anger of the best Vertigo performances. Edge goes berzerk in some Vertigo examples - mix that with ZooTV = heaven.

ZooTV - Just the best and really ties into the theme of ZooTV more than other tour version.

Vertigo - Good Vertigo-ized style.

Elevation - Does have a good intro, but I miss the falsetto vocals. However it was good having Bono freed up from "playing" guitar.

rjhbonovox said:

Yeah right. Zoo TV is the only version where the drums are right and the guitar has the wah wah effect, how the fuc#ing guitar should be played. While there is nothing wrong with the way they tried to change the song for the latter tours, a nod of appreciation to the excellent changed intro from Elevation, the Zoo TV version with Mullen playing the drums with proper innovation is the only true great live version of this song. So the only great version is Zoo TV. Anybody who says otherwise talks out there arse!

Help me Help me!!! I can't stop talking out of my arse!!!

Elevation fool.

Actually. No, I don't actually think that Elevation was the best one. I just couldn't resist talking out of my arse.

Hmm...

1. Elevation (Fantastic, but doesn't have the anger of the original kick-a** Fly. The intro puts it up top)
2. Zoo (I don't get it...this version rules)
3. Vertigo (Sloppy. Fun, but sloppy)

Fly's album version sucks.

Last edited:
In order, my favorites are ZooTV, Vertigo, Elevation...

Why?

ZooTV: My reasons are literally my own. I hear it played on, say, Dublin's ZooEuropa, and I hear it as the fans were. For the first time, bat out of hell, what the fuck is this coming out of U2, good God that rocks!

It also helps that it comes straight out of Zoo Station, which is one of my favorite show intros. That long build-up to the Edge ripping out that sliding chord, Larry blasting in on the drums like a knock on the door from Satan, then Adam rolling on in on the bass like the Devil just walkin' on in after beating on the door and screaming at the house's inhabitants for a few measures.

Vertigo: First, the intro never fails to knock me out. When Edge throws that loop in there, then drags his pick across the muted strings over it, the song seems to acquire the all-out rock feel that it should have. It's well-replicated from its debut on the Zoo TV tour, and doesn't suffer at all from the fact that Edge is playing it on a Variax (which I didn't expect).

Again, this one benefits from coming right after Zoo Station on most of the tour, and Zoo Station (again) gives me shivers up and down my spine every time I hear it.

I hated that they didn't do this when I saw them in Atlanta on 11/19/06. Right up at the front, inside the damn ellipse close enough to read the Edge's delay settings off his rack, and they couldn't do one of my all time favorites. Damn!

Elevation: This one has a decent intro, but the song just doesn't have that same feel to it that the ZooTV and Vertigo versions have. It feels like more straight-on rock, almost like a cover band would do it.

Zoo tv - fly bores me rotten and is skipping material on the DVD.

I always thought the ZOO TV performances were kind of like a dull version of the album track. The guitar sound may be like the original but sometimes the overall sound of the band just sounds too empty and stripped.

I love the Elevation Boston version simply because it sounds so 'full' if you get what i mean? On top of a fantastic deep sound to the drums The Edge is fantastic. I realise I've already mentioned something that has more to do with the way the live performance is produced and mixed rather than the way they play it so I apologise but here it comes again briefly.
The guitar is sadly a little low in the mix a lot of the time and may sound different but it's still got the same wah sound to it and is arguably more 'rocky' since it's more distorted and the solo is just out of this world! The echoes and wah-wah'ing make it my personal favourite, still get all 'goosebumpy' when I hear it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom