favourite album trilogy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultraviolet92

War Child
ok so what is your favourite album trilogy in the past 27 years

boy, october, war (1980 - 1983)

The unforgettable fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum (1984-1988)

Achtung baby, Zooropa, Pop (1991 - 1997)

All that you can't leave behind, How to dismantle an atomic bomb[double] (2000 - 2004)

?????????????????????????????????//
after reading this i have realised as the band has progressed they have taken longer to write albums

Acrobat Angel said:
:hmm: This is a tricky one...
can we mix it up a little bit and say JT, R&H and AB?

hmmm lol not really otherwise that would win hands down

plus achtung, zooropa and pop all fit in together

ultraviolet92 said:

hmmm lol not really otherwise that would win hands down

plus achtung, zooropa and pop all fit in together

:rolleyes: Ruin all my fun :wink:
ok it's killing me to not choose AB, but i guess i'll have to go UF, JT and R&H...

But i'm really keeping my original choices :shh:

I hate these "trilogies" because in my mind it's always been

boy/october

war/Tuf/Jt (though I know they don't fit so well ,they're my three favorite albums so they go together)

R&H is it's own entity

AB/Zooropa

Pop is also it's own

And then ATYCLB/HTDAAB

I've never seen where people get these triologies from

Hmm, I go for Achtung, Zooropa and Pop, though I love all the others and the UF-JT-R&H trilogy only suffers because of the live tracks on rattle and Hum.

bono_212 said:

boy/october

war/Tuf/Jt (though I know they don't fit so well ,they're my three favorite albums so they go together)

R&H is it's own entity

AB/Zooropa

Pop is also it's own

And then ATYCLB/HTDAAB

To me, War fits with Boy and October becuase it was also produced by Steve Lilywhite and TUF was a pretty big departure in sound. R&H fits with TUF with JT because it was partly an extension of the sounds and themes of JT, which in turn fits so well with TUF. Pop fits with AB and Zooropa because those albums are also part of the "experimental/danceable" phase.

Anyway, my favorite trilogy is absolutely AB/Zooropa/Pop.

I will admit (not for the first time, and probably not as shamefully as I should feel it is to admit) that I have not heard all of boy and october, but what I HAVE heard of them, they just don't feel the same as war at all, and I think that idea has always bothered me about the trilogy theory...just the fact that War doesn't really fit at all with the first trilogy, R&H doesn't really fit with the second trilogy (with the exception maybe of Heartland and perhaps Hawkmoon) and Pop (IMO) does not fit with AB and Zooropa, though I have pointed out before that there is one huge similarity in those three albums with their second tracks, but that is another topic, and I'm rambling now, sorry it's late, I'm tired, and I haven't really been posting much of coherence lately

i also doubt the trilogy theory...

01 AB , ZOOROPA, POP, PASSENGERS
02 TUF, TJT, R&H
03 BOY, OCTOBER, WAR, UABRS
:
:
:
04 ATYCLB, HTDAAB...

I saw the trilogies listed somewhere like this once:

Boy, October, War = Irish trilogy

UF, JT, R&H = American trilogy

AB, Zooropa, Pop = European trilogy

ATYCLB, HTDAAB, ??? = World trilogy (I think the last one was 'World' anyway :confused: )

That sorta fits. Personally, I go with the European trilogy :drool:

coolian2 said:

Entirely.

Although there really is only a pubic hair between AB-Zooropa-Pop and TUF-JT-R&H.

Agreed, props for the mental picture.

*waits for someone to post a picture of AB-Z-P & TUF-TJT-RAH with a pubic hair in between*

*not really*

Myself I don't really like the trilogy thing myself. All the albums are pretty unique in their own ways I guess.

Besides picking between 84-89 and 91-97 is quite tough.

bono_212 said:

boy/october

R&H is it's own entity

AB/Zooropa

Pop is also it's own

And then ATYCLB/HTDAAB

I agree. Although I wouldn't put War with UF and JT. I think U2 works more with a 2 album loose theme, and then a one off departure. War sounds and has very little theme correlation with October and Boy. Just like Pop is a huge departure from AB and Zooropa.

I don't buy into the trilogy theory.

The unforgettable fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum (1984-1988)

Though I can definitely agree with BVS' point about the 2 & 1 groupings rather than trilogies. Does that mean the next album will be a big departure from ATYCLB & HTDAAB? I bet it is...

I've never bought into the whole trilogy thing, either. It's just too....easy, you know? I don't think U2 ever went out with that in mind, and I don't think it'd happen spontaneously.

It's easy to group them in 3s chronologically, but other than that, I don't see it. Where does Passengers fit into that?
And to me, for example, JT and ATYCLB are brothers, much moreso than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, or JT and AB.

And if you're going to count R&H, then why not UABRS?

I do kind of like the 2+1 groupings, at least that seems to make a little more sense when you look at the albums themselves, but...:shrug:

I don't know, I guess when we see what the next album is like it will give us a better idea, but I just don't think the albums or body of work can be put into such neat little pigeon holes.

0% agreed. There is no such thing as an artistic pattern, that U2's oeuvre might be divided into album trilogie. This theory is nonsense.

BOY as the debut album stands on its own, an erratic block. A starting point for the band, U2 do have lookek back a lot in recent years.

OCTOBER is another world: different (religious) topics, sounds that take U2 forward (e.g. "Gloria" being the first time, The Edge uses a slide guitar). Plus the fact, that it lyrically had to be improvised a lot. Unfortunately this album has always been in the shadow of its predecessor and successor. The glorious exception was the renaissance of "Gloria" in '05.

WAR again takes another road: new topics, more politics. If you want to look for cuts in the U2 biography, here is one. Now the most part of the audience sadly only knows the old WAR horses "New Year's Day" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday". Even the reflective "40" has become a live rarity since the 80ies – not to mention the rest of the album, where there are other gems torediscover.

THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE stand on his own – and has nothing to do with the albums before and afterwards. This recarding the lyrics, the sounds and the way, it was produced and recorded. "Musical landscapes" indeed, a masterpiece in its entirety. And yes folks, maybe the album that stand the test of time for ever.

THE JOSHUA TREE is a closer look to both sides of America: the sunny and the dark side of the moon. In my opinion the highlight in U2's work and Bono's poetical, lyrical approach of songwriting. Take the words to "One Tree Hill" and Bono's (late) commentary to it in '06: "You can't kill poetry!". Exactly.

RATTLE AND HUM – regarding only the new tracks – is not THE JOSHUA TREE II. It is more bluesy, more soul, more rock ("God Part II"). Because of the circumstances it is often held as a "creative failure", but it isn't. These tracks are great, perfectly produced and belong to the best in U2's career. There is no weak one in '88...

ACHTUNG BABY might be the album, where there has been a lot of talk, maybe too much talk about. Unique sounds, a new approach to a more (personal) songwriting – innovvation, re-invention and another corpus of tunes for eternity.

ZOOROPA is more technique, more electronic fooling around, a quick shot produced while on tour. It is a mixture of "old" ("Stay", "The First Time") and "new" U2 ("Lemon", the outtake "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"). A caleidoscope, a snap shot.

PASSENGERS OST VOL. 1 is often forgotten, but still existing. Being too innovative, too radical, too extreme to be labelled as a "correct" U2 album, still all of the four play on the album. And one of the tunes even made it in the setlists '05/'06. An experiment I do like because of the songs/song fragments, but not as a whole. Too arty maybe ...

POP is a step back, but another Exit from the U2 highway towards the direction to find new sounds, new approaches. Often being slaughtered and even neglected by the band now on stage and in books, it still remains one of the most debated albums – and another pure masteriece in my eyes and ears.

MILLION DOLLAR HOTEL might be regarded as another side project, but "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" (with big help by another poet) is one of the U2 gems from the 90ies.

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND is maybe the first real delusion, I ever felt with a U2 album. It is definetly the collection of songs, I've heard the least in its entirety. The sound is too flat, the lyrics are not the strongest, too – and I still do miss the focus, earlier albums had. It was not a challenge for me to listen to it, it didn't touch me, it didn't hurt. It was o.k. – not more, not less. Though some of the tunes do work fine on stage, I'd like to add.

HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB has nothing in common with its weaker predecessor. Strong tunes, strong sounds, (mostly) finer lyrics – another highlight reagarding variety, but to be a real masterpiece it does miss a focus, a concept, a creative vision, too. Let's see, what the days after the retro-like "Window In The Skies" will bring ...

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I saw the trilogies listed somewhere like this once:

ATYCLB, HTDAAB, ??? = World trilogy (I think the last one was 'World' anyway :confused: )

That sorta fits. Personally, I go with the European trilogy :drool:

Wow, i've never thought of it like that :)

I'd go for AB - Zooropa - Pop too

DreamOutLoud13 said:

:

Interesting, but maybe HTDAAB is the begininning of the Venus trilogy, as in Punk Rock Made In Venus.

Heres hoping for a French or a Bolivian or a Nepalese or an Australian trilogy...

I always considered Passengers as an extension of Achtung / Zooropa and Pop as the beginning of that new "world wearied" U2 phase, you know?

That being said, I'd choose Achtung / Zooropa / Passengers. It's the most cohesive threesome of the bunch.

Last edited:
The greatness of UF is diminished by some weaker tracks, RH has some excellent and some bizarre choices and of course JT is undoubtedly a masterpiece, but in my book AB is even more, and Zooropa as weird as it is strong and Pop while uneven is excellent, so that's my pick.

Boy, October and War is U2's sound from an emerging fresh band and while excellent they hadn't hit their stride yet.

ATYCLB & HTDAAB both feature excellent if stripped down songs, but their were out-takes and b-sides that were superior to that of some of the official releases that showed that this era is still strong, if they're a little less confident in some of their new directions and inspirations, so it'll take the third masterpiece to emerge in the next album to bring up this next trilogy. But if it really is a big move in a new direction it won't really fit in with the other two.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I always considered Passengers as an extension of Achtung / Zooropa and Pop as the beginning of that new "world wearied" U2 phase, you know?

That being said, I'd choose Achtung / Zooropa / Passengers. It's the most cohesive threesome of the bunch.

word

it's also the most badass :drool:

they're pretty much my favourite albums, along with JT and ATYCLB

I'd have to go with AB/Zooropa/Pop. But, I think you could throw Passengers in the mix because I see that album as an interesting transition from Zooropa to Pop. I love all eras of U2, but that time from 1991- 1997 was special in my life. Especially AB.

Back
Top Bottom