Favorite song from POP?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whats your favorite song from the POP album?

• Discotheque

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Do You Feel Loved

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • MOFO

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • If God Will Send His Angels

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Staring At The Sun

Votes: 16 9.5%
  • Last Night On Earth

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Gone

Votes: 48 28.6%
  • Miami

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The Playboy Mansion

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Please

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Wake Up Dead Man

Votes: 9 5.4%

• Total voters
Hard to decide between Gone and Wake Up Dead Man. Gone is fantastic, but I'm going to go with Dead Man. I didn't get into it until recently, and that was a mistake. It captures desolation in a way unlike any other song.

Velvet Dress...I turn it all the way up and pretend he's whispering to me...and everyone knows girls love bass. :mac:

Followed VERY closely by Gone.

I don't remember who was the Playboy Mansion freak but...I like it too!!!:reject: LOVE, COME ON DOWN!

I wonder what would have happened if Gone was the first single from the album. Would POP be more appreciated? I think so...

Discoth?que or Mofo should have been the second one, with Please third, ending with Staring at the sun.

From an album with such depth, its tough to choose a specific favourite, but I'm going with the multi-layered epic rock of "Discotheque".

follower said:
Do I have to choose really? :D

Just kidding, that?s a tough one. I chose Please, segued closely by Gone and Wake Up Dead Man.

:up:

How weird is it that you picked exactly the songs I would have? And I know you're a big fan of Walk To The Water, and So Cruel, and basically all the songs I really like as well. It's weird I tells ya! But we're so obviously both righter than the rest of 'em :p.

I picked Gone, because of the words. In my opinion, the three finalists from the Pop album would be Discotheque, Last Night on Earth, and Please. I love the entire album, so those four are as good as anything else.

SkeeK said:

How weird is it that you picked exactly the songs I would have? And I know you're a big fan of Walk To The Water, and So Cruel, and basically all the songs I really like as well. It's weird I tells ya! But we're so obviously both righter than the rest of 'em :p.

That?s my boy SkeeK :D Well, you know I could be your mama :yes:

I?m sorry Damon, that was awful, LOL. But surely we both have great taste :D... and lots of other things in common, I bet. ;)

And please, don?t be so tough with the others. ;)

MOFO for me. POP is perhaps their best album...well ahead of its time for the american audience anyway, as it did very well outside of the USA. If POP were released now, i think it would be more of an american success then it was. In time, POP's status as an important part of the U2 cannon will be recognzed.

I'd like to see 4 of the 45 people that voted in the Achtung Baby poll but not this POP poll vote now so we can arrive at 100 votes, a good representive sample of weekly forum users.

POP is my third favorite U2 album, but probably has the highest number of my favorite songs on it. It ends up being 3 on my list due to the fact that Zooropa has three of my all-time favorite U2 songs on it (Lemon, Wanderer, The First Time) and Achtung Baby is simply a brilliant album. So it is really hard to choose a favorite song from POP, but in the end I had to go with DYFL. It was either that or Gone most likely, with IGWSHA, Velvet Dress, and WUDM very close behind.

mofo. in all seriousness, when they played this during the 97 or 98 mtv europe music awards it was the greatest u2 moment ever cought on television.

that includes bad from 86's live aid show.

just my opinion ofcourse.

Interesting that 3 of the top 4 songs weren't singles and the one that was a single was barely played at all. I guess it goes to show how the marketing for Pop may have hurt it a whole lot.

*Agrees with the people who like "Last Night On Earth", "Discotheque", and "The Playboy Mansion"

I think those songs are great!

This is hard. I love every song off of this album. At least with the other ones I can have an easier time picking my favorite song.

But I think, if I must pick, I'll have to go with "If You Wear That Velvet Dress"...it's just the way he sings the song...and the music is gorgeous...and the lyrics are great...and it's a sexy song...and...it's just wonderful.

Angela

I voted for Discotheque because although I like Please just as much I knew more people would vote for it. Respect to Velvet Dress and Gone too.

Another extremely difficult one. I voted for Gone but MoFo was up there up to the last minute. I could have also gone with Miami, Do You Feel Loved, Velvet or Please...Awww I love this album :heart:

BTW Have we got a poll for Zooropa?

I feel like I should vote for Playboy Mansion, since it's one of U2's most underrated songs and it's getting killed in the poll.

But, I have to go with my gut: Staring at the Sun.

Back
Top Bottom