Favorite Single...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Nothing beats the B-sides of Spanish Eyes and Deep in the Heart. :drool:

doubt it.

I'd say either 'Pride' [Boomerang I, Boomerang II, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Touch] or 'Unforgettable Fire' [The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, Sixty Seconds in Kingdom] I don't think it gets much better in terms of B-sides than THAT! [except perhaps a majority of the Joshua Tree B-sids. though those singles had some EXCELLENT songs but some 'filler' too...]

Beautiful Day along with Summer Rain and Always is a sensational single (i dont get why people dont like Always).

pride, because it's got its own b-sides and also has the single from 11 o'clock tick tock on there! :love:

i also like the joshua tree singles, but i couldn't narrow it down more than that.

D'oh! said:
Beautiful Day along with Summer Rain and Always is a sensational single (i dont get why people dont like Always).

I :heart: "Always"!

That single is my choice as well. :up:

Streets for me

Streets:drool:
Silver and Gold :rockon:
Sweetest Thing :hug:
Race Against Time :applaud:

D'oh! said:

I personally think Always is good enough to be a single. It's probably one of my top 20 favorite songs, and it's a b-side! :drool: I hate the fact that not many people have heard of it.

Summer Rain's a pretty good mellow song, can't listen to it more than twice in a row though.

I don't know if it counts, but i'd say Passengers' Miss Sarajevo.
Yeah, technically it's not exactly U2, but I love the song itself, and it has that WONDERFUL version of 'One' on it which makes me want to type like an eleven year old who has just discovered abbreviated text.

for me easily HMTMKMKM.

because it wasn't on an album; just a single.

and the song is so bad ass.:mac:

You just can't beat The Unforgettable Fire. It takes a leak on every other single U2 has ever released, with the exception of Pride and the 'big three' from JT. Not only is the a-side one of the best songs ever made, the b-sides are simply stunning: Bass Trap, The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, and A Sort Of Homecoming live. It's so incredible.

Oh, and Even Better Than The Real Thing has Where Did It All Go Wrong?, so it's a pretty damn good single too.

Can't believe noone's already said this:

With or Without You
Luminous Times
Walk to the Water

3 songs that so fit together musically and lyrically, the highs and depths or lows of love

:drool:

blahblahblah said:
'Unforgettable Fire' [The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, Sixty Seconds in Kingdom] I don't think it gets much better in terms of B-sides than THAT!

Axver said:
You just can't beat The Unforgettable Fire. It takes a leak on every other single U2 has ever released, with the exception of Pride and the 'big three' from JT. Not only is the a-side one of the best songs ever made, the b-sides are simply stunning: Bass Trap, The Three Sunrises, Love Comes Tumbling, and A Sort Of Homecoming live.

Aaah, it's quite cool actually agreeing with what you say once in a while, which is not to say i've not respected your opinion in the past...but yes, 'The Unforgettable Fire' is the best single U2 have ever put out if we're talking about the actual content! U2 have come close to putting out better B-side material with the Joshua Tree recordings but at the end of the day, only 'Spanish Eyes', 'Deep in the Heart', and 'Race Against Time' actually stand out from the rest in MY opinion...!

I still think that

A) It's MIND BOGGLING that 'The Three Sunrises' and 'Love Comes Tumbling' were left off the album! I've put all the B-sides on the album [making it a double] as everyone has at some point and I have to say I actually prefer either 'The Three Sunrises' opening the album with 'A Sort of Homecoming' closing disc one, or the latter opening disc one with the former on Disc Two....a bit head-scratchy, but...yeah...!
B) It's EQUALLY MIND BOGGLING that you lot have voted the 'Unforgettable Fire' OUT of the singles competition...it's the strongest record there, I don't see how some of the rubbish U2 have put out singles-wise in the past can still be there when both 'UF' and 'Pride' have been given the boot. If I had my way it would be those two LAST! :madspit:

:madspit:

:madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :madspit:

I agree with almost every word there. My favourite b-sides are actually Spanish Eyes and Luminous Times (they're in my top fifteen songs ever, actually), but they're on different singles and stuck with b-sides that, while above average, are not exceptional. Meanwhile, UF has this pack of consistently outstanding b-sides that could just about be an album in itself. When you add the material from the Pride single and think about what U2 had in out-takes from the UF sessions, they probably could have put out an album in 1985 that would be the equal of anything else they've released.

When I make a custom UF, I actually put The Three Sunrises dead last, after MLK ... just so that it loops back perfectly to A Sort Of Homecoming at the opening. It's a continuous album with an unstoppable flow of genius!

We all know I'm pissed about the single survivor situation. I think I'll now go and put on the UF single ... :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
Ha ha! Sounds like an idea! Do you actually put it on a loop or what?! I could never put 'The Three Sunrises' last since I'm too bloody fussy...takes me an age to figure out what order to put things basing them round the way bands have made albums in the past (eg. big opener, big this big that, take the mood down...etc.etc. blah blah...then finish with either a MASSIVE HURRAH or something calm that just SOUNDS like an ender) it makes me lose hair...doing it with many bands on Mix-CDs/Tapes as well is a nightmare balancing all those songs! :mad:

My two favorites are With or Without you and Please (PopHeart) because the Bsides are so awesome. I love the UF as a double album idea. I've seen (and made myself) the double Joshua Tree (actually my daughter was born to it); are there others?

don't know... Please - PopHeart is amazing, but it is an EP, right?

I like HMTMKMKM too, was my first U2 song (that I remember)

blahblahblah said:
Ha ha! Sounds like an idea! Do you actually put it on a loop or what?! I could never put 'The Three Sunrises' last since I'm too bloody fussy...takes me an age to figure out what order to put things basing them round the way bands have made albums in the past (eg. big opener, big this big that, take the mood down...etc.etc. blah blah...then finish with either a MASSIVE HURRAH or something calm that just SOUNDS like an ender) it makes me lose hair...doing it with many bands on Mix-CDs/Tapes as well is a nightmare balancing all those songs! :mad:

Yeah, I just put all the files on my computer and set WinAmp to loop. It just never stops and works really nicely! I often just try to put together songs that I think flow sonically rather than adhering to any patterns of starting with a certain type or rising and falling at a certain rate. Though sometimes, I go for thematic flow, at least in my setlists.

Jack In The Box said:
don't know... Please - PopHeart is amazing, but it is an EP, right?

yes, but it's the best because it has WOWY from EDMONTON on it. :love:

if you listen real hard, you might be able to hear me in the crowd!

like really, REALLY hard.

:sexywink:

Back
Top Bottom