Favorite Musical Moments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corianderstem

Blue Crack Distributor
All right, let's rack 'em up! What are the U2 moments that just give you chills, make you want to whoop, make you replay the last five seconds on the CD over and over again? Bootlegs count, too!

I'll start ...

On the Zoo Europa bootleg during "Bad," Bono hits the falsetto so beautifully on the first "I'm wide awake" -- that's the moment I keep rewinding over and over again.

During "The Unforgettable Fire," the climb into "....this lovin' time and if you save your love..." I love the way the notes build into that phrase.

The transition into "Streets" from any Zoo TV or PopMart concert. Don't make me choose which lead-in song I like better: "Running To Stand Still" or "Please."

When they did "Walk On" on the Grammys, the gospel choir bursting out with the "Hallelujahs" gives me chills. Definitely my favorite version of the song. Too bad it's got the damn announcer talking over the music "Nominated for 8 Grammys tonight ... U2!"

The solitary chord change on the final "so let it rain" of "MLK." It's such a simple and effective song, that chord really stands out.

love is blindness from zoo europa-->my fav version of my fav song

please-->streets...my heart starts racing

Great thread!

I particularly enjoy:

- "Bad," and "WOWY" on R&H
- "Stay" on Sydney
- "IWF" on Elevation

:heart:

Yay! People are humoring me! :)

Everyone always has favorite songs, but what about favorite moments? Little bits or parts of songs that give you chills?

Maybe it's a line Bono sings, or even something as small as "that one note Adam hits at the end of blah blah blah...".

Last edited:
ok...here's one that i love...

in ultraviolet, right before "o sugar, don't you cry..." when the song picks up...that bass line rocks...

and in zoo sydney, the end of rtss...when he says "uhh....still..." then the hallelujahs...that is SO powerful...

um...that's all i can think of right now...

the end of Please... live or single version
the entry into the guitar solo, and the solo itself give me de chills.....

intro of streets (of course!)

the little acoustic breakdown in Still Haven't Found

good stuff :)

i though of more...i :heart: the "slipping away...slip slide" part of last night on earth, with bono high and bono low...

near the end of miami there's a change in accompaniment...i like that part...

*stops*

Well if you are going to be precise...

* The end of Please live
* On Zooropa Dublin 1993, right at the end of Running To Stand Still, the very end of the very last Hallelujah sounds like Bono 1983
* The first note of Mysterious Ways
* The last note of All I Want Is You
* The intro of Zoo Station at Syndey 1993, the third or fourth bar is unintentionally far too funky for its own good
* Bono singing along in Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
* Bono mumbling under the guitar solo of If You Wear That Velvet Dress
* The out of tune chord in the bridge in Discotheque
* The line in Dirty Day which is sung louder than the rest of them

There are many more!

Thought of a few more on the way home...

From the Red Rocks concert, in "Out of Control," when Bono yells, "Do you know who this is? This is the Edge!!" right before the guitar solo. Awesome! (Why that song wasn't included on the video is a mystery to me.)

The solo drum beats leading up to the crashing "Open up!" in "Rejoice."

The last chorus of "Stay," especially that last, high "Staaaaaay ... and the night would be enough!"

The last, abbreviated verse of "In God's Country."

The "Oh-oh-oh's" in "Streets" performed live, and then Edge joins in with harmony.

Ahhh, bliss!

Right now, the transition from Bad to Streets on the Boston Elevation concert really stands out... it gives me goosebumps!

A particular "Oh c'mon" during Ultra Violet. :drool: Bono sounds so vehement and passionate.

That bridge on Velvet Dress.

Zoo Sydney - Martin Luther King's speech synchronized with Pride.

Zoo Sydney Love is Blindness is a moment in itself! I fell in love with that song when I heard it there.

:hmm: I'll think about it and post other moments tomorrow.

I really like this thread! :up:

Edited coz I forgot to add the beginning of Streets from Slane, Bono's voice is heartbreaking!

Last edited:
Right now I can think of RTSS, when Bono sings "loooooove, slowly slips away" and the little piano noted towards the end of Walk On that change the song. You musicians know the tech talk for that. It's when it changes over to the outro (?).

The last verse of "Out of Control", when Bono & Edge are singing, "one day I'll die, the choice will not be mine". There's something about the way they sing that line that makes me smile every time.

Bono howling "hale-hale-halelujahs" during RTSS on ZooTV in Sydney concert.

The strings at the beginning of Kite.

- The new version of "The Fly" from Boston when Edge goes into his guitar solo
- Bono thanking the families for the pounds during the Slane Out Of Control TV special
- The whole version of SBS on Rattle & Hum, what an emotional performance

1-Acrobat: after the feedback intro the drums begin, then that air-raid guitar riff. Song steadily shifts gears until the chorus runs wide open.

2-Gone: After the first few bar of Edge's "siren" riff, Adam lays down a bass slide that brings the whole band in, with force. Awesome.

3-Kite: After a beautiful verse and prechorus, the band launch into the chorus; extra electric guitars, wide-open vocals, driving beat. The whole band really rocks here, mid-tempo, but it's still rock.

bullet the blue sky said:
Well if you are going to be precise...

* The end of Please live
* On Zooropa Dublin 1993, right at the end of Running To Stand Still, the very end of the very last Hallelujah sounds like Bono 1983
* The first note of Mysterious Ways
* The last note of All I Want Is You
* The intro of Zoo Station at Syndey 1993, the third or fourth bar is unintentionally far too funky for its own good
* Bono singing along in Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
* Bono mumbling under the guitar solo of If You Wear That Velvet Dress
* The out of tune chord in the bridge in Discotheque
* The line in Dirty Day which is sung louder than the rest of them

There are many more!

Those are great! Now I want to get home and pinpoint all of these. Some I can hear in my head, others have me going, "Ooh, really?? "

zoocarolina said:
[B The whole version of SBS on Rattle & Hum, what an emotional performance [/B]

Ooh, I know! I wanted to list this, but that would be breaking my own rule. :wink:

I think my favorite part of the song is the first "No more!" after Bono's speech.

Hmmm...

T.V. MOMENTS:

-Their Super Bowl performance. The part that awes me the most-the thing behind them that has the list of all the victims of 9/11. Wow. What a creative and moving way to pay tribute to those people.
-Dana Carvey playing with them during their performance of "Even Better Than The Real Thing" on the VMA's (that's just plain cool-Dana looked so psyched to be doing that (and who could blame him?)).
-Their appearance on the Simpsons, especially when they're in the bar singing...hilarious.
-"Where The Streets Have No Name" video. Enough said.
-Bono's speech during "Sunday Bloody Sunday" from "Rattle and Hum". Rock on, Bono!
-The "Bullet The Blue Sky" performance from "Rattle and Hum". Edge's guitar solo was amazing, and the whole spotlight thing was just incredibly cool.
-The "With Or Without You" performance from the Boston concert during the Elevation tour, when Bono brings that girl up on stage and sings to her-so sweet.

SONG MOMENTS:

-The opening and ending siren-esque sounds on "Gone"-those are just too cool.
-The "BOOMCHAS!" at the end of "Discotheque"
-The way Bono sings "Stay with the demons you drowned, stay with the spirit I've found" in "Stay"
-The whole "He went deeper into black, deeper into white" and so on out thing from "Exit"...I like how Bono sings that part.
-The "one hundred! Two hundred!" thing from the live version of "Bullet The Blue Sky" from "Rattle and Hum"-I like how Larry's drums go with that part.
-The opening drums to "Sunday Bloody Sunday"
-The way Bono screams, "And I love the way you talk to me", etc. in "Spanish Eyes"
-The music in "An Cat Dubh" (that is a really cool song)
-This whole bit from "The Playboy Mansion":

Don't know if I can hold on
Don't know if I'm that strong
Don't know if I can wait that long
'Til the colors come flashing
And the lights go on

Then will there be no time for sorrow?
Then will there be no time for shame?

I like how that part's sung.
-The ending music of "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me"
-The quiet beginning of "With Or Without You", as well as the whole "We'll shine like stars in the summer night, we'll shine like stars in the winter night" thing in the live version of that song.
-The end of the live version of "Streets" from R&H, when Bono goes, "Oh, my darling, I wanna go there with you"
-The piano in "October"
-The way the chorus is sung in "Tomorrow"
-The drumming in "I Threw A Brick Through A Window"
-The part in "Mysterious Ways" that goes, "One day you will look back, and you'll see where you were held, how, by this love, while you could stand there, you could move on this moment, follow this feeling"
-The violins and all that in "The Hands That Built America"
-The harmonica in "Trip Through Your Wires"
-The whole, "Money, money, money" bit in "Desire"
-The new version of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress", especially the piano and Bono's voice in that version
-The way Edge sings in "Numb"-it's nice that he sings in a monotone voice, 'cause then I can sing along and not sound like I'm butchering the song :D
-The music in "Seconds" (makes you sway from side to side)
-"40"-that song is so pretty
-"MLK"-especially when you listen to it at night.
-The part in "Angel Of Harlem" that goes, "Angel in the devil's shoes, salvation in the blues, you never looked like an angel, yeah, yeah, angel of Harlem"-I just belt that out like mad every time I hear that song.
-The lyrics to "The Fly". Every single one of them.
-The music in "Love Is Blindness"-very haunting.

Wow, that's a lot.

Think I'll stop there for now.

Angela

Last edited:
great idea for a thread!!!!

HelloAngel said:
Great thread!

I particularly enjoy:

- "Bad," and "WOWY" on R&H
- "Stay" on Sydney
- "IWF" on Elevation

:heart:

I gots to add:

Angel of Harlem on Sydney
All I want is you on Iriving Plaza boot
ISHFWILF from the 10-31-01 show
Stay from 4-20-01 show(i was there)
Streets- anytime anyrecording

I:heart: the SBS performance on RATTLE AND HUM!! it makes my heart cry if not me cry everytime i hear it!!!

The "We'll shine like stars" bit during WOWY on Rattle and Hum

All of WOWY on R&H is pretty spectacular...

The 10/27/01 bootleg from NYC. I was at the show and there is a point in the bootleg during Walk On when the crowd just goes nuts as the band brings out the NYPD, PAPD, and FDNY. I still get chills from that, still an amazing uplifting memory for me.

And of course, one I haven't seen this list yet -- Live Aid!

Back
Top Bottom