Favorite Bono monologue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gvox

Ghost of Love
What is your favorite monologue given by Bono either introducing or during a song?

Please state the show, and if possible quote the monologue..

I have a few faves but I wont state them until everyone else has a chance..

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

I rather like the New Year?s 89 show when Bono says ?Here she comes?it?s the future. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in, and dream out loud?at HIGH volume. That?s what we do for a living?lucky bastards!?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by rafmed:
The one during SBS in R&H...

ditto

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

Boston 3:

"Well this song is kinda like the last one, so y'all can go have another beer now if you like.."
Between Stuck and Kite.

- I should clarify why I love this so much: first of all i think it's so funny as if someone would ever leave to go get a beer! and also.. i thought it showed a bit of Bono's insecurities.. very sweet and endearing.
smile.gif

------------------
She comes in colors you know she's gonna turn the daylight on

*Happy Birthday Bono*

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 05-13-2002).]

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I rather like the New Year?s 89 show when Bono says ?Here she comes?it?s the future. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in, and dream out loud?at HIGH volume. That?s what we do for a living?lucky bastards!?
biggrin.gif

I really love that one! I like so many, it's hard to choose! How about my signature line for now....

------------------
?....we?re being thrown out of the studio, we spent 10 minutes writing this next song, 10 minutes recording it, 10 minutes mixing it, 10 minutes playing it back and that?s nothing to do with why it?s called ?40??.? ? Bono - 4/29/87, Chicago, IL

While I also like the "dream out loud" speech and BostonAnne's signature line, here's another one I love from the Rock's Hottest Ticket bootleg (Chicago 1987).
Bono introduces ISHFWILF this way:

"The last few weeks have been, uh, really something for U2. We've seen our record go to the top of the American charts. Even Time magazine's gonna put us on the cover. And you know, even though we've worked for this, worked hard for this for the last few years, it was never our ambition necessarily to be number one, to be on the cover of Time magazine. And, I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that -- I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

...but there are so many!

When the synth wasn't working for Bad in 1985.

"...right, so this sandwich goes into a bar, see...and he says up to the waiter for a pint of Guinness...and he says, 'No, I'm sorry, we don't serve sandwiches...'"

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
Boston 3:

"Well this song is kinda like the last one, so y'all can go have another beer now if you like.."
Between Stuck and Kite.

- I should clarify why I love this so much: first of all i think it's so funny as if someone would ever leave to go get a beer! and also.. i thought it showed a bit of Bono's insecurities.. very sweet and endearing.
smile.gif

Several of my family members have left to get drinks at U2 concerts.
rolleyes.gif
And I have been forced to move MANY times when I was in seats, so a person could go out, come back with beer, and spill it on me.
tongue.gif

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

Boston 3:

Between Stuck and Kite.

smile.gif

Well, here's what he said before that:

(some stuff about Stuck In A Moment being written for Michael Hutchence...)

"Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to tell him to fuck off. *pause* I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen. *pause* I would now like to apologize for using several expletives in a row--I've been very good on this tour, and it looks like it came out all at once. But we shouldn't be too afraid of descriptive language, that's what I say--we're Irish, and we like descriptive language."

This was Boston 3, 6/8/01.

Oh yes, the setlist was really good that night too--The Ground Beneath Her Feet, All I Want Is You ("when you're from the north side of Dublin, you can sing *two* love songs in a row"), 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Sweetest Thing (with Bono butchering the piano part) were played that night.

Boston 3:

Between Stuck and Kite.

smile.gif

I was at that Boston show and thought the very same thing - who would ever leave a U2 concert early???? That was precious. I also liked Bono's little story right before Wild Honey in Oakland on 11/15. He confessed to having a smoke even though he was trying so hard to quit. He said something like "The cigarette pack just crawled out of a bag right into my hand".

Originally posted by mad1:
During Popmart in Mexico, at the beginning of 'Still Havent', when he talks about G-man and then asks whats Spanish for 'bullsh*t'

biggrin.gif

That one was cool, with the whole "thanks for sticking with us..." part. Kinda of like a thankyou to those who really stood by them during their "experimental" stage. Good stuff!

------------------
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Zooropa FTP

Originally posted by mebythesea:
While I also like the "dream out loud" speech and BostonAnne's signature line, here's another one I love from the Rock's Hottest Ticket bootleg (Chicago 1987).
Bono introduces ISHFWILF this way:

"The last few weeks have been, uh, really something for U2. We've seen our record go to the top of the American charts. Even Time magazine's gonna put us on the cover. And you know, even though we've worked for this, worked hard for this for the last few years, it was never our ambition necessarily to be number one, to be on the cover of Time magazine. And, I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that -- I still haven't found what I'm looking for."

...but there are so many!

My signature, and my favorite Bono monolouge!!

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
biggrin.gif

me too...i think this the same one where he says 'forget about the past, celebrate the future', one of my all-time fave bono-isms.

[This message has been edited by 404 Not Found (edited 05-13-2002).]

"the latest in hardware, software and menswear" - ZOO TV

[This message has been edited by Theedge555 (edited 05-15-2002).]

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Several of my family members have left to get drinks at U2 concerts.
rolleyes.gif
And I have been forced to move MANY times when I was in seats, so a person could go out, come back with beer, and spill it on me.
tongue.gif

Yeah! I don't get this! I was like, Bono *i'm* stayin.. as he later sung, wild horses couldn't drag me away!

Originally posted by speedracer:

"Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to tell him to fuck off.
*pause* I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen. *pause* I would now
like to apologize for using several expletives in a row--I've been very good on this
tour, and it looks like it came out all at once. But we shouldn't be too afraid of
descriptive language, that's what I say--we're Irish, and we like descriptive language."

Oh yes, the setlist was really good that night too--The Ground Beneath Her Feet, All I
Want Is You ("when you're from the north side of Dublin, you can sing *two* love songs in
a row"), 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Sweetest Thing (with Bono butchering the piano part)
were played that night.
Ohyes! that discriptive language thing was hilarious! I love his speeches.. here's another, my favorite introduction of them, from Turino!

Desire: "A song about blind ambition. What do you think about blind ambition? Never, ever would this group have any ambition without this man here, Adam Clayton! Thank you. And never would this group have any humility without this man here (Edge). And never would this group have any balls without this man here (Larry). (laughs) And never, NEVER would this group have any problems without this man here! Cause I like trouble"

this is a great thread, i'd love to hear others!

------------------

*U2 Take Me Higher*

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 05-15-2002).]

Originally posted by speedracer:

"Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do for someone is to tell him to fuck off. *pause* I am told to fuck off rather a lot by these three gentlemen. *pause* I would now like to apologize for using several expletives in a row--I've been very good on this tour, and it looks like it came out all at once. But we shouldn't be too afraid of descriptive language, that's what I say--we're Irish, and we like descriptive language."

Oh yes, the setlist was really good that night too--The Ground Beneath Her Feet, All I Want Is You ("when you're from the north side of Dublin, you can sing *two* love songs in a row"), 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and Sweetest Thing (with Bono butchering the piano part) were played that night.

I remember this quote. Undoubtably the best of the five shows I saw this tour, although Providence 1 was pretty damn good as well.

Bono was really talkative during Boston 3. I got the sense during that show that the band was relieved that the taping bullshit was over and was just having a good time.

fun fun fun....boy do I need copies of those shows....

Mine couldn?t be other than the four sentences he said in the beginning of I Still Haven?t Found What I?m Looking For, the Popmart concert in S?o Paulo, Jan 31 1998. They are in Portuguese though.

"Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s."

It goes like "Your country is beautiful. Your people are beautiful. Your voices are beautiful. We won?t forget about you."

Other than that...maybe his little speech in the middle of Wild Irish Rose, this one:

"This is based on a...on the time we spent in a hotel called the Millon Dollar Hotel in Los Angeles, which is downtown Los Angeles. It's like a half-way house hotel for bums and people thrown out of hospitals under the Regean era. And I was being taken through this hotel--I was doing some filming down there--and I noticed that the cheap liquor that all the bums drank was called Wild Irish Rose. So I started with the line, 'The city of Angels/Has brought a devil out in me', and developed it on from there. The Rose in Ireland, as you know, is a sort of romantic image of love, obviously, but it's also an image of Ireland itself. That is an image I thought would be nice to subvert."

Sunday Bloody Sunday from Rattle and Hum ... just wow!

The New Years Eve one is quite special, too.

popkidu2- you should email me, oliveu2cm@yahoo.com

------------------

*U2 Take Me Higher*

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 05-15-2002).]

My favourites are :-

New Years Eve 1989

1. Bono thanking the band.

"I'd like to thank the Edge, Adam and Larry for letting me be in their band"

(I first heard it on this broadcast, but I know it appeared earlier)

2. When Bono's talking about how many people are listening to the radio broadcast. This is from memory and not at all accurate.

"There's a lot of people come from a lot of far away places to see us tonight (pause), There's a lot of people tuning in on their radio's tonight, (pause) Sitting in their cars in Liverpool and Manchester, Bristol and London, .... .....
Well tonight we'll making you all Irish"

Can anyone give a more accurate version ?

Back
Top Bottom