Favorite B-Side?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Just curious to know your fave b-sides from u2. imho the last great b-sides were from Rattle And Hum period. Think my all time fave would have to be...........A room at the heartbreak hotel, or maybe Deep in the heart.

I think my top three are:

1. Room At The Heartbreak Hotel (Bono's voice :drool: )

2. Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad

3. Holy Joe

But I'm also quite keen on Dancing Barefoot, Spanish Eyes and Are You Gonna Wait Forever.

Always and Walk to the Water are the ones I can come up with right now

Lady With The Spinning Head
Luminous Times
Spanish Eyes
Sweetest Thing (original)
Silver And Gold

(obviously I'm partial to the JT b sides)

elevated_u2_fan said:
I always thought the AB/Zooropa period produced some of their best B-Sides...

I was about to say :yes: but then I realised that The Joshua Tree and Rattle And Hum also had some of the best U2 B-sides. Come to think of it, The Unforgettable Fire too. (Love Comes Tumbling, anyone?)

I'm torn between Slow Dancing or HMTMKMKM as my all time favorite though...

I have to be a bit nitpicky here, but HMTMKMKM isn't a B-side. It was a single (and a huge hit too).

And my favourite? So many to choose from...
Slow Dancing
Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad
Sweetest Thing
and so on...

It was the Joshua Tree release where I began to take an obsession of sorts to the next level. The band released their first single with Luminous Times and Walk to the Water on the b-side. Most bands would of died just to of had those 2 on their albums. From this moment on I would take notice to every single release and seek out the b-sides. U2 were first for me in this respect. In fact, how many bands can claim to of taken a b-side and change it to a single more than a dozen years after it was released on a b-side. The JT b-sides outshine every of period of b-sides.

My top 3 on the bee-

Walk to the Water
Deep in the Heart
Spanish Eyes

Originals:

Treasure
Salome
Always
Are You Gonna Wait Forever
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Hallelujah Here She Comes

While Josh Tree is by far my favorite album, the B-sides don't much appeal to me :shrug:

Also:
Kite (Live) - Window in the Skies
Dirty Day (Better Kiss) - Please
WGRYWH (Temple Bar Mix) - WGRYWH
Please/Streets (Live) - Please
Bad/40/Streets (Live) - Electrical Storm
Bullet (Live) - Stay

Sweetest thing and North and south of the river. Silver and gold following closely.

"Lady With The Spinning Head" even if it is essentially two songs off of AB before they were split up, is my favorite. I especially like that mix on the "One" single that has the extended keyboard section that leads into the final chorus.

That said, I think JT era was the "golden age" of U2 b-sides as far as consistent quality and songs that stood on their own.

does north and south of the river count?
it was a b-side on staring at the sun...... it was co-wrote by christy moore tough!

Back
Top Bottom