Fave album of non fans or casual fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IndyGoGirl

The Fly
From people I have talked to, it's:

1. War
2. JT
3. AB

They usually have never heard of:

Boy
October
Pop

my friends havent heard of zooropa or pop, their fav album is probably AB or even the bomb. They all hate ATYCLB, but they all own it and listen to it:S

that album really hurt U2s image, for my generation, its our first u2 album, if you know what i mean. People dont realise its the exception and not the rule.

so yeah, AB, JT or war are my friends fav albums, and the greatest hits of 80s

It's almost always Joshua Tree. I can't tell you the number of conversations I've had that went like this:

"So you're a U2 fan?"

"Kinda...I liked the Joshua Tree, but not the experimental 90s stuff..."

:mad:

IMHO, it seems to me that the "hardcore" u2 fans fall into two categories: 1) they like the earlier stuff (boy, october) or 2) the 90's experimental stuff (AB, Zooropa, Pop).

but yeah, i usually hear JT is the typical casual fan's favorite album or pretty much the only album they know about.

I'm more of a casual U2 fan now, but I used to be rabid. My fave album is probably War, maybe JT, and I know all the early albums, but lost interest with R&H and AB just didn't do much for me. And then I moved on to other bands that did thrill me.

I'm giving them another try, but have not regained that rabid fan status.

MY Mates have only heard of ATYCLB, and HTDAAB, things I consider impossible
Me and my friend talking about U2
Sunday Bloody Sunday(Never heard of The day or the song), or Where the streets have no name (I usually get a where response), Bad ( You mean that song by Jacko), Pride(Huh) In the name of love, (oh yeah, didn't now it was called Pride ), One ( Never heard it), Stay( No), The album Pop(I hate POP music if you have a album called POP and are you listening to it makes you gay), Beautiful Day( Rocks), Elevation ( Great song) SYCMIOYO(Didn't know U2 sing that) Walk On(Huh!), Vertigo( That song is cool) LAPOE( Or else what) SYCMIOYO (It sounds nothing like a rock song, and has no meaning), (Face it U2 have only a few good songs, they are terrible listen to Green Day, or SlipKnot instead)

personally, i LOVE all their early stuff and their disco-experimental era. it's all so creative and wonderful in it's own unique way.

no one i know knows of anything by U2 from ATYCLB and earlier. :eyebrow: they know a couple songs on JT but nothing else.

I became fan listening to HTDAAB.Haven't listened any other album yet,only hits.

the hits are great, but you're missing out.
go run out and buy ALL their albums :wink:

The second I just listened is POP.I bought it because there were very different opinions about it on this forum and all I can say is that I am a much bigger fan now.Also ,reading the posts Acrobat is very adored here and the next one I take will be Achtung baby.So far from Achtung I listened to The Fly,One,Mysterious ways and Wild Horses.Is the rest of the album that good ?
I need the recommendation of the order of the albums I should hear after Achtung baby.Thanks .

The only U2 music that my friends(who aren't fans) will even listen to is from ATYCLB-mainly just Beautiful Day and some off of HTDAAB. JT and before that is all "too 80's" for them... grrrr it makes me mad , they don't know what they're missing out on!

roy keane said:
The second I just listened is POP.I bought it because there were very different opinions about it on this forum and all I can say is that I am a much bigger fan now.Also ,reading the posts Acrobat is very adored here and the next one I take will be Achtung baby.So far from Achtung I listened to The Fly,One,Mysterious ways and Wild Horses.Is the rest of the album that good ?
I need the recommendation of the order of the albums I should hear after Achtung baby.Thanks .

Yes, Achtung Baby is very, very good. It's U2's best album. Next would be The Joshua Tree.

roy keane said:
I became fan listening to HTDAAB.Haven't listened any other album yet,only hits.

Yes, run right out and buy every U2 cd. You will not be sorry. I did the very same thing a few years back, as I only already owned AB, Zooropa, and the best of 80-90. Here's an idea: Buy Boy this week, love it, then next week purchase October, love it. You see how it works. :wink:

I find it really weird that some people's friends only know the last one or two albums. Please tell me that you are under the age of 16. I could have sworn by high school everyone at least knew the 80's hits and some of the songs off of AB.

And yes, I would agree that JT and ATYCLB are the two tops

Irishteen said:
MY Mates have only heard of ATYCLB, and HTDAAB, things I consider impossible
Me and my friend talking about U2
Sunday Bloody Sunday(Never heard of The day or the song), or Where the streets have no name (I usually get a where response), Bad ( You mean that song by Jacko), Pride(Huh) In the name of love, (oh yeah, didn't now it was called Pride ), One ( Never heard it), Stay( No), The album Pop(I hate POP music if you have a album called POP and are you listening to it makes you gay), Beautiful Day( Rocks), Elevation ( Great song) SYCMIOYO(Didn't know U2 sing that) Walk On(Huh!), Vertigo( That song is cool) LAPOE( Or else what) SYCMIOYO (It sounds nothing like a rock song, and has no meaning), (Face it U2 have only a few good songs, they are terrible listen to Green Day, or SlipKnot instead)

OMG! i think you have the same friends as me:ohmy:

0K,thanks for recommendations.I think I am going to take the same road Kakvox did for he was in a similar situation.So after AB I will take boy and then every other album in order of the year of release.
BTW I am not under16 but 25 but I was a big metal fan in past(Maiden,Sepultura...) and didn't care much for bands like REM,Stones,U2 etc.When my sister got HTDAAB as a present I put it in my CD player and what got my attention were rocking songs like ABOY,LAPOE and Vertigo.It was enough to start to listen CD more times and more carefully and after after a while I was addicted to almost every song of the album,especially to slower songs.It was enough to buy second U2 album which was POP and after POP I decided that I would definitely listen to their entire catalog.
And one more thing.In my metal phase there was a song that was often played on metal parties.I didn't know until recently what that song was.After listening to POP I recognized it at once. It was MOFO.

Actually my friends at work have no idea what the album names are, but they know the songs. They know NYD, SBS, Bad, WOWY, Pride, Streets, One, Mysterious Ways, EBTTRT, Discoteque, BD and the new stuff, plus many many others.

I find most people like the songs, but dont know who sings them, and really dont care what album they come from. I think if you are under 20 you really only know the last two records, but if you are are in the mid 20 and above bracket, well you should have a fairly good idea of the U2 classics even if you dont know what album they came from.

Back
Top Bottom