Fast Cars/Xanax And Wine Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Xanax and Wine. Not only do i like the more potent "Xanax and Wine" falsetto over the weak "these fast cars will lead me no where", I also find the chorus one of the best in U2 lyrically

Take me
Save me from myself
I know that you've been good to me
now I need you not to be

The contradiction of being taken away from yourself and the idea that a saving discipline could be better for you than someone being nice to you.

Also the Xanax and Wine become more metophorically potent than Fast Cars as an idea:

Taking a Xanax, a pill meant for anxiety, and Whine, know to make Bono sleepy on occasion, demonstrates the character wanting to escape through sleep and a drug induced calm.

"these fast cars will take me no where" is less potent. When have we known Bono to have an affinity for fast cars?

if the character is as paranoid and overwhelmed it would makes more sense that the "take a pill to stop it" would be Xanax and Wine. But maybe "Fast Cars" is a metaphor for tools of escape like Xanax, Wine, pills, sleep or whatever.

lillywhite really has softened the anti western sentiment by reworking native son and xanax and wine... i think the reworking of native son worked for the better, but xanax was much more superior, and with a little bit of work on that same basic structure (cleaning up the intro, ending, giving the guitars more fullness) the song could have been a hit single

the mix isn't very good at all. it abruptly goes from FC to XAW and back to FC, like what you could do in the old days of recording CDs to tape by hitting stop, changing the song, and hitting record again.

Sorry.

The only thing that I think makes Fast Cars better is the Middle Eastern influence. If Xanax and Wine would have had the same style I think it would habe been superior.

Back
Top Bottom