"Fast Cars" is an awesome bonus track

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropanator

Babyface
I bought the special edition of "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" and I must say the bonus track, 'Fast Cars' is a very cool track for them, really showcasing their talents as musicans as well as Rockers. It has sort of a Flemenco sound to it on the guitars, and if you use your imagination you can see the dancers. Over the album is very diverse, with many different sound they are truely able to master now. Cool stuff on the DVD as well if any of you should pick that up, very good pick!

Fast Cars really is a cool track. I'm glad it didn't make a permanent place on the album, as I don't feel it really sits well with the rest of the tracks, but I do appreciate them including it on ertain versions instead of just waiting to release it as a b-side. It's quite an enjoyable and new direction for them.

hey lancemc, I haven't yet heard it, what could you compare it to? Is there another U2 song out there that it sits beside?

if you like Fast Cars, just wait till you hear "Xanax and Wine"! It has many of the same lyrics, but it has great drums and guitar, a real rock song.

I can't wait to hear "Fast Cars". Damn you, Amazon, send it faster!

Ok that is just moronic...Fast Cars is a fluid, excellent, interesting song (both in lyrical terms and musically. I think some say its "just a b-side" or whatever because its all to easy to dismiss the song rather than put an effort into looking at the song properly...I like that its an energetic, unforced song that sounds enthusiastically played, and its better than most of the songs off ATYCLB, and indeed some of the HTDAAB tracks!

I agree. I think "Fast Cars" is U2 doing what they do best - stretching their musical boundaries, deconstructing themselves musically and reconstructing something new.

Isn't this what has kept U2 at the top of the music industry for over twenty years and has endeared them to all of us? :up:

While this track is not the best song U2 has ever created, it is ONE OF THE MOST ORIGINAL and I applaud their ingenuity and creativity over all these years.

Plus I think U2 was giving a "thumbs up" to all their fans around the world by trying to include snippets of world music in "Fast Cars".:wink:

I love this song and I love U2 for creating it.

PICTURE IN MY POCKET....:hug:

Sorry I disagree,
U2 have built there reputation on some truly great rock songs. This track does not have the quality to sit alongside the other 11 tracks on this new album, it won't get any radio play, U2 will not play it at any forthcoming shows and by the time the next album's out this track will be forgotten.

Fast Cars is a good track and I'm glad i bought the edition that comes with it, but between the two, I would have preferred a shortened, more polished version of Mercy. A track with truly amazing potential, to say the least.

Shame on you, U2! :wink:

Well, we don't know for sure where Mercy will show up...I love it myself, I wish they'd included it instead of COBL or Yahweh.

Did someone just say a song was crap because it won't get any radio airplay?!

Fast Cars is not good, especially as a 12th track. Wait until you hear Xanax and Wine and you'll be kicking yourself and U2 for not making it the 12th track

Fast Cars is a good song, I would rather have Mercy. But I would have Mercy instead of any song on the album, so I guess this opinion doesn´t even count. What is awesome about Fast Cars is that it is so different, and maybe that is why it didnt make it to the album

Hmmm, Fast Cars vs. Xanax and Wine...I'm not sure either one tops the other. I appreciate FCs quirkiness, but I love the Rock approach of X and W. I dunno, I like both, but I'll go with Fast Cars as a curve ball on this album.

Mercy is good too...I could see this right before or right after COBL!

Doesn't fit with the rest of the album, it's just a fun song - it shows it was done on the last day of recording.

An ok b-side material.

I love "Fast Cars" - I bought it from I-Tunes.

I love the latin style of it.

Fast cars is better than half the songs on HTDAAB.
It has more energy than all but Vertigo.
City of blinding lights is the best song on the cd.

InVertigo said:
Fast Cars is not good, especially as a 12th track. Wait until you hear Xanax and Wine and you'll be kicking yourself and U2 for not making it the 12th track

Xanax And Wine is a budget economy version of Fast Cars. At least U2 seems to agree with me on this.

Cheers,

J

Back
Top Bottom