Fast Cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornbag

The Fly
Am I the only one that hates the song? or are there others? Does everyone outside the UK like it jusr 'cause it's a bonus track? It really annoys me...for me a horrible album closer after Yahweh

I used to hate it, but it's grown on me. I still find it quite annoying but I :heart: the bridge of the song. :drool: For me it's the redeeming feature of Fast Cars.

I think it's kick-ass. It's awesome seeing U2 "experimenting" with different kinds of musical flavors. While I like the rest of HTDAAB, I think Fast Cars (and Xanax & Wine) has the most creative energy in it.

I think its excellent. I like many of you downloaded all the songs a week before album release. And fast cars was the only new song I heard when I bought the cd. I loved it. a total change from the rest of the album. not agood closer

I think it's an amazing song. I was so excited when they played it at the Philly show I was at. Only the tenth time it had been played I think.

So um, yeah you're the only one. :wink:

I got the UK import just for this song. Yahweh is a better album closer, but Fast Cars is a great song. I usually listen to it separately, rather than with the rest of the album anyway. Some parts of Xanax & Wine are better, but the majority of the music in Fast Cars is better. I love them both :D

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I got the UK import just for this song. Yahweh is a better album closer, but Fast Cars is a great song. I usually listen to it separately, rather than with the rest of the album anyway. Some parts of Xanax & Wine are better, but the majority of the music in Fast Cars is better. I love them both :D

:up:

Xanax and Wine is more of a straightforward rock song, it's a good song to listen to while you're hyper, lol... but Fast Cars is ultimately more interesting. I enjoy both. And I never think of bonus tracks as album closers, I think of them as just that - bonus tracks. though Fast Cars is better than some of the songs on HTDAAB, I think. but I have a copy of it and they played it live, so I'm not upset that they left it off the album.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I got the UK import just for this song.

haha, me too

not a great closer but is one of my U2 favorites of their last 2 works

Fast Cars is a great song, the sound is so interesting, really caught my attention after my first listen. Xanax and Wine is also a great rock song but I just find Fast Cars much more interesting overall

Great song, shame they didnt put it on as a bona fide track, like Ground Beneath Her feet on ATYCLB its as good as any other song on the album.

Fast Cars was the most interesting and unique song to come out of the HTDAAB sessions. It didn't fit on that album because it was too good. That's my opinion anyway. It was way too edgy, and I mean edgy in a true sense of the word, not faux-edgy like Vertigo or Love and Peace Or Else. Fast Cars definitely tops Xynax and Wine. I know X&W probably was the first version of Fast Cars, but to me it sounds the other way around, like they were trying to come up with something too deep and Mercy-like with Fast Cars. Somehow this wasn't the case, and I'm glad they trimmed the long overdone parts of Xynax and came up with the quirky to-the-point Fast Cars that you hear today. "Iiiii know these fast caarrrrs...will do me no good". Awesome hook. Totally atypical U2 melody in my opinion. Sounds like a western, maybe Johnny Cash type tune.

Fast Cars was the most atypical and the best U2 song from the HTDAAB sessions. It should have been included on the regular US version of the album. I was lucky enough to hear it live twice on the Vertigo tour.

Hornbag said:
Am I the only one that hates the song? or are there others? Does everyone outside the UK like it jusr 'cause it's a bonus track? It really annoys me...for me a horrible album closer after Yahweh

dont ya hate it when you start an unappreciation thread and it turns into an appreciation thread :wink:

Man shame on u , Fast Cars is super , and it's fucking amazing live , well at least the ones I got to hear , Bono and Edge were on fire , I felt a bit disappointed , they didn't play the concert I attended , Fast Cars is just great.

Fast Cars is pretty cool. I also favor Xanax and Wine though. Sometimes Fast Cars seems really cheesy to me with all the little WOOOOOAAHs and WOOOOOPs but I guess that's what people here probably like about it alot. I think it's just a silly fun song. In my opinion though it doesn't fit on HTDAAB, it's really out of place to me. :shrug:

still I will now dance to it
:dance:

It's a nice, fresh sounding song - that said, I feel they should have left it for the next album (just like, I assume, Mercy).

It reminds me of Party girl in that it's a popular live song (yet not well known among fans), and a bit of Mysterious ways in that it's very dance-able.

I don't hate it but I'll admit I liked it alot more when I first heard it. the appeal has definately worn off a bit and I agree that it'a a terrible way to end the album after Yaweh. I didn't care to much for the live performnace when the played it in New York(Oct, 8th). Xanax and Wine would've been much cooler on the labum say after Crumbs or something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom