Fans who have traveled to Ireland...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things we did that were well worth while:

1) Even though it was steep, we stayed a night in the Clarence. It's *such* a great hotel. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend it. The next night, we went to the cheaper BnB's :)

2) GPO (General Post Office): Yup, it's just cool to walk around in.

2) Moydrum Castle. It's a bit of a haul (darn near half way to gallaway, but it's so, so freaking cool). We got mocked by our hosts when we told them we drove out to athlone (the town it's near) to see moydrum castle. An hour an a half was just a little too long of a drive for them apparently :). Be respectful of the guy's property it's on.

3) Windmill lane. Not much to see, but still kind of fun to just 'be there'.

4) Principle management offices: directions are on the page at the beginning of the thread. I actually saw Paul packing his car to head off to Norway that day.

5) Cafe Nude (owned by Bono's brother): It's got some tasty smoothies! Yum Yum

There are others, but I would high recommend the walking tour on that site, it's really fun.

--pete

The pubs are a real pleasure to drink in now because of the smoking ban. One of my faves was The Arlington near O'Connell Bridge, it's MASSIVE! They had live Irish dancing/music on there (around 7pmish) and then a disco.

I was in Dublin 4 weeks ago and it was really great!!! Hope to go there next year to see U2 play Croke Park and stay in the Clarence :drool: (Dreaming must be allowed :wink: )

But I really like Dublin, I met a lot of nice people (I just wonder, whether all Irish are that nice and talk to strangers immediately :wink: )

I saw the Clarence and the Kitchen's entrance (Yes, it is closed), Bona Vox hearing and Hanover Quay (hurry up- there aren't many buildings left ):(

And Killiney is soooo beautiful, wouldn't mind living there myself :) It reminded me of the Cote d'Azur in France, when I was strolling down the road from Dalkey to Killiney... (*still dreaming*)

You should also have a look at Trinity College, and Grafton Street for shopping (I still wonder where all my money has gone... :wink: )

So what are you waiting for- next plane to Dublin :drool:

[off topic]

While you're in Ireland, if you can......make sure you get to the Slea Head drive on the dingle peninsula:

viewfromSleaHead.jpg

also the conemara wilderness, County Galway, blew my mind:

FamineRoadConnemara.jpg

and croagh patrick, county mayo :drool:

ViewfromCroagPatrick.jpg

also Glenveagh National Park in County Donegal is fab....as is County Donegal generally:

beachinCoDonegal1.jpg

LochinCoDonegal5.jpg

and I'm told that near there is a place called the Poison Glen that's spectacular (although I didn't find it)

I recently spent over 3 months travelling around Ireland, and those were the highlights for me :up: I've got many more photos that I took that I am tempted to post, but this is not the place for them......:)

[/off topic]

Last edited:
IMHO, on any given day, start at the Poet's Walk on the quay near O'Connell Bridge and take the time to walk down to the shore. The noise of the contruction, the gulls, the smell of the Guinness Factory fumes and the sea. Just walk and get the feel of the place. The slower you go, the better it'll be. Slow dwon. Detoxify. At least the first 4 days. Get into the rhythym of the place. Then you arr ready for the nightlfe! You must rmeember--you are Ireland now.

Oh: and Dublin truly is the City of Music. Any kind. If you don't hear public music of any kind every day you are lost.

^^^^^ Absolutely!

The music IS wonderful. The small bands/ performers we heard in the pubs were some great stuff.

The country truly is physically beautiful, but the people really top it off. So friendly and kind. We never met a person that didn't treat us well. Even when we got lost, someone offered help before we could even ask (we must have looked desperate!:wink:). I could go on and on about that place.

Party Boy said:
In addition, if you have tons of free time, take a trip to Ballymun and see the 7 towers (although there might only be six now ... plans to demolish them all), - Running To Stand Still mentions these towers...

Or if you do a tour of the Guiness brewery, you can see the 7 towers from the very top floor. There's a big bar there and all the walls are windows, so you can see a lot- that's where I saw the 7 towers from.

We also did a tour of Kilmainham Gaol. It's where U2 recorded their "A Celebration" video, and the jail has a lot of history of Ireland contained in it.. it was very interesting.

Definitely go see the Bonavox hearing aid store, that was exciting and it's a short walk from Temple Bar to get to it. And the Clarence. :up: :drool:

Enjoy, K! :hug: :D

Back
Top Bottom