Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:43 PM
Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M

I always felt U2 and R.E.M were kind of one in the same in a way. What is it that you like about each band, and why?

Old 07-08-2002, 09:14 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Yep. They are my two favorite bands of all-time (U2 is first, of course!). I don't know what it is exactly. It's hard to put it into words...There's passion, creativity...and I just feel like I can relate to what they're saying, you know?

Old 07-08-2002, 09:18 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 12:43 AM
Re: Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M

Quote:
Originally posted by david
I always felt U2 and R.E.M were kind of one in the same in a way. What is it that you like about each band, and why?
Both bands are(or were) four pieces, but they come from different places musically as well as geographically. They both have different sounds and ambitions. Stipe's vocals were often buried in the mix early on, while Bono came on full throttle. And, of course, the writing styles were far apart. That said, they're both great bands. The difference for me is that U2 is the greatest band in the world, way ahead of anyone else. I still like REM, have all their records... but I feel their best work was years ago.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:22 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Re: Re: Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M

Quote:
Originally posted by barlowdog

Both bands are(or were) four pieces, but they come from different places musically as well as geographically. They both have different sounds and ambitions. Stipe's vocals were often buried in the mix early on, while Bono came on full throttle. And, of course, the writing styles were far apart. That said, they're both great bands. The difference for me is that U2 is the greatest band in the world, way ahead of anyone else. I still like REM, have all their records... but I feel their best work was years ago.
But david brings up a good point. It seems like there are a LOT of people out there who love both U2 and REM.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:30 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes. Even though they might have all the differences in the world, both bands still seem to share a few things. Lyrics that are politically minded, lyrics that are very poetic. Both bands have passion, U2 were 4 guys (well boys at the time) from Ireland, REM were 4 guys from Athens Georgia. Music that wasn't heavy in the sense of sound, but heavy in heart, the music sounded sparse at times as well, but there was a lush sound to it.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:35 PM   #6
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by david
Yes. Even though they might have all the differences in the world, both bands still seem to share a few things. Lyrics that are politically minded, lyrics that are very poetic. Both bands have passion, U2 were 4 guys (well boys at the time) from Ireland, REM were 4 guys from Athens Georgia. Music that wasn't heavy in the sense of sound, but heavy in heart, the music sounded sparse at times as well, but there was a lush sound to it.
agreed. They do share a lot, including a liking and respect for each other. They also shared the same stage at a couple festivals back in the 80's. Would have been sweet to have been there.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:37 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by barlowdog

agreed. They do share a lot, including a liking and respect for each other. They also shared the same stage at a couple festivals back in the 80's. Would have been sweet to have been there.
Yes, it would have been!

And you can't forget about Automatic Baby!
Old 07-09-2002, 12:13 AM   #8
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:43 PM

I'm not much of a fan for REM. They've pumped out some great singles but overall I can only take so much of them at one time. I do admire how they're doing things their way, though.

Oh, and "Sweetness Follows" is one helluva song.

- The Zoocifer -
Old 07-09-2002, 02:06 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I love both of these bands. U2 is first, of course, but I'm also a big REM fan. Both bands have always done what they felt was right, never following trends. They care about their music as art and focus on integrity and character. They have real passion and heart in their songs and in them as people. They're great friends and support the same causes, including Amnesty, Greenpeace and now debt relief and global AIDS. They're total gems.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:47 AM   #10
The Fly

In all honesty, I'm not a big REM fan. I first became aware of them in the early 90's (at the same time when I became a U2 fan), but I never drew parallels between the two bands. They're far more different than they are similar in my opinion.

It actually wasn't until I started joining U2 newsgroups online that I read anyone comparing the two and talking about them in the same sentence.

Maybe it's just me, but there are so many OTHER bands that you can draw U2 parallels to (ie: INXS comes to mind)...

Maybe I'm not aware of everything REM, but U2's sounds evolves with each album. U2 also have this massive world wide following and massive world wide exposure. REM perhaps had the same kind of world wide exposure at one time, but it comes in waves... at least where I live, I don't think I've heard much about REM other than they recently recorded their upcoming album in my home city, and that Michael Stipe's friends with a local author (Douglas Coupland)... *shrug* I don't really know where I'm getting with this other than, perhaps it's only in the USA where REM are hyped up the same way U2 is. But outside of the USA? I don't think REM are hyped up as much.

If I played "I Threw A Brick Through A Window", "The Unforgettable Fire", "Desire", "Mothers of The Disappeared", "Numb", "Lemon", "Discotheque", and "Wild Honey" (for examples)... to an untrained ear it would sound like different bands. Maybe REM varies this drastically per album too, but with exception to Monster, I don't remember REM albums evolving the same way U2 does.

*shrug*

If I had to, I could probably draw more parallels to Depeche Mode and U2 than I could to REM. When U2 were doing Achtung Baby/Zooropa, REM was doing Automatic For the People... which is actually more reminiscent of the Joshua Tree. I suppose you could draw a comparison to U2's Zooropa and REM's Monster... but I feel that Monster still had that classic REM sound, albeit distorted. Zooropa sounded nothing like what U2 had ever done... it did not sound like The Joshua Tree distorted, if you know what I mean. U2 have always surprised me (with exception of ATYCLB), whereas, I have yet to be surprised in the same way by REM. But I don't claim to be a large REM fan. I don't go out of my way to listen to them.

Perhaps it's the REM formula of song-writing that I find so different from U2. Perhaps it's the nature of both bands that I find so incredibly different.

I'm not trying to knock REM, because I respect them and enjoy their music... but I just wouldn't put REM and U2 in the same boat. That's all.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:51 AM   #11
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Both bands have always done what they felt was right, never following trends. They care about their music as art and focus on integrity and character. They have real passion and heart in their songs and in them as people. They're great friends and support the same causes, including Amnesty, Greenpeace and now debt relief and global AIDS. They're total gems.
Exactly!
Both bands were never sellouts!
That`s why I love them.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:29 AM   #12
Refugee

My three favourite bands are U2, REM, and Barenaked Ladies. They are all pretty equal but they all have different styles of everything. They have different live shows, for example. But they are all great bands and thats what counts.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:27 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:43 PM

I know REM is pretty good, but I haven't really gotten deep into their music yet. Any suggestions on which album to start off with???
Old 07-09-2002, 02:48 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I love both of these bands. U2 is first, of course, but I'm also a big REM fan. Both bands have always done what they felt was right, never following trends. They care about their music as art and focus on integrity and character. They have real passion and heart in their songs and in them as people. They're great friends and support the same causes, including Amnesty, Greenpeace and now debt relief and global AIDS. They're total gems.
REM are my second favouite band ever (well, maybe joint second with Radiohead,) and I totally agree with what verte76 said! And also I love the mood of their music. I don't know how to describe it, but their music has this unique flavour to it. Lots of it has this really nice nostalgic feel to it - it sort of makes me remember places I've never even been, if that makes any sense at all (maybe I'm just crazy!!? )

dizzy: get "Automatic for the People" - definitely their best album, and one of my favouite albums ever!
Old 07-09-2002, 04:08 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

U2 and REM are great, but who's that hot babe next to you in that pic? Look out!
Old 07-09-2002, 04:54 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:43 PM
Get Automatic for the People and Life's Rich Pageant.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:02 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:43 PM
I like both bands! Thats all i can say.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:08 PM   #18
War Child

All the REM fans I know have this thing against U2 for some reaosn. I like REM ok though. I have some of their records. not all though.
Old 07-09-2002, 07:51 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by AdamsMango
All the REM fans I know have this thing against U2 for some reaosn. I like REM ok though. I have some of their records. not all though.
Really? That's puzzling...
Old 07-09-2002, 07:52 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Truly

dizzy: get "Automatic for the People" - definitely their best album, and one of my favouite albums ever!
This album is brilliant! I also adore "Out of Time."