Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

david

ONE love, blood, life
I always felt U2 and R.E.M were kind of one in the same in a way. What is it that you like about each band, and why?

:up: Yep. They are my two favorite bands of all-time (U2 is first, of course!). I don't know what it is exactly. It's hard to put it into words...There's passion, creativity...and I just feel like I can relate to what they're saying, you know?

david said:
I always felt U2 and R.E.M were kind of one in the same in a way. What is it that you like about each band, and why?

Both bands are(or were) four pieces, but they come from different places musically as well as geographically. They both have different sounds and ambitions. Stipe's vocals were often buried in the mix early on, while Bono came on full throttle. And, of course, the writing styles were far apart. That said, they're both great bands. The difference for me is that U2 is the greatest band in the world, way ahead of anyone else. I still like REM, have all their records... but I feel their best work was years ago.

Re: Re: Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M

barlowdog said:

Both bands are(or were) four pieces, but they come from different places musically as well as geographically. They both have different sounds and ambitions. Stipe's vocals were often buried in the mix early on, while Bono came on full throttle. And, of course, the writing styles were far apart. That said, they're both great bands. The difference for me is that U2 is the greatest band in the world, way ahead of anyone else. I still like REM, have all their records... but I feel their best work was years ago.

But david brings up a good point. It seems like there are a LOT of people out there who love both U2 and REM.

Yes. Even though they might have all the differences in the world, both bands still seem to share a few things. Lyrics that are politically minded, lyrics that are very poetic. Both bands have passion, U2 were 4 guys (well boys at the time) from Ireland, REM were 4 guys from Athens Georgia. Music that wasn't heavy in the sense of sound, but heavy in heart, the music sounded sparse at times as well, but there was a lush sound to it.

david said:
Yes. Even though they might have all the differences in the world, both bands still seem to share a few things. Lyrics that are politically minded, lyrics that are very poetic. Both bands have passion, U2 were 4 guys (well boys at the time) from Ireland, REM were 4 guys from Athens Georgia. Music that wasn't heavy in the sense of sound, but heavy in heart, the music sounded sparse at times as well, but there was a lush sound to it.

agreed. They do share a lot, including a liking and respect for each other. They also shared the same stage at a couple festivals back in the 80's. Would have been sweet to have been there.

barlowdog said:

agreed. They do share a lot, including a liking and respect for each other. They also shared the same stage at a couple festivals back in the 80's. Would have been sweet to have been there.

Yes, it would have been! :up:

And you can't forget about Automatic Baby!

I'm not much of a fan for REM. They've pumped out some great singles but overall I can only take so much of them at one time. I do admire how they're doing things their way, though.

Oh, and "Sweetness Follows" is one helluva song.

- The Zoocifer -

I love both of these bands. U2 is first, of course, but I'm also a big REM fan. Both bands have always done what they felt was right, never following trends. They care about their music as art and focus on integrity and character. They have real passion and heart in their songs and in them as people. They're great friends and support the same causes, including Amnesty, Greenpeace and now debt relief and global AIDS. They're total gems.

In all honesty, I'm not a big REM fan. I first became aware of them in the early 90's (at the same time when I became a U2 fan), but I never drew parallels between the two bands. They're far more different than they are similar in my opinion.

It actually wasn't until I started joining U2 newsgroups online that I read anyone comparing the two and talking about them in the same sentence.

Maybe it's just me, but there are so many OTHER bands that you can draw U2 parallels to (ie: INXS comes to mind)...

Maybe I'm not aware of everything REM, but U2's sounds evolves with each album. U2 also have this massive world wide following and massive world wide exposure. REM perhaps had the same kind of world wide exposure at one time, but it comes in waves... at least where I live, I don't think I've heard much about REM other than they recently recorded their upcoming album in my home city, and that Michael Stipe's friends with a local author (Douglas Coupland)... *shrug* I don't really know where I'm getting with this other than, perhaps it's only in the USA where REM are hyped up the same way U2 is. But outside of the USA? I don't think REM are hyped up as much.

If I played "I Threw A Brick Through A Window", "The Unforgettable Fire", "Desire", "Mothers of The Disappeared", "Numb", "Lemon", "Discotheque", and "Wild Honey" (for examples)... to an untrained ear it would sound like different bands. Maybe REM varies this drastically per album too, but with exception to Monster, I don't remember REM albums evolving the same way U2 does.

*shrug*

If I had to, I could probably draw more parallels to Depeche Mode and U2 than I could to REM. When U2 were doing Achtung Baby/Zooropa, REM was doing Automatic For the People... which is actually more reminiscent of the Joshua Tree. I suppose you could draw a comparison to U2's Zooropa and REM's Monster... but I feel that Monster still had that classic REM sound, albeit distorted. Zooropa sounded nothing like what U2 had ever done... it did not sound like The Joshua Tree distorted, if you know what I mean. ;) U2 have always surprised me (with exception of ATYCLB), whereas, I have yet to be surprised in the same way by REM. But I don't claim to be a large REM fan. I don't go out of my way to listen to them.

Perhaps it's the REM formula of song-writing that I find so different from U2. Perhaps it's the nature of both bands that I find so incredibly different.

I'm not trying to knock REM, because I respect them and enjoy their music... but I just wouldn't put REM and U2 in the same boat. That's all.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
Both bands have always done what they felt was right, never following trends. They care about their music as art and focus on integrity and character. They have real passion and heart in their songs and in them as people. They're great friends and support the same causes, including Amnesty, Greenpeace and now debt relief and global AIDS. They're total gems.
Exactly!:yes:
Both bands were never sellouts!
That`s why I love them.

Last edited:
My three favourite bands are U2, REM, and Barenaked Ladies. They are all pretty equal but they all have different styles of everything. They have different live shows, for example. But they are all great bands and thats what counts.

I know REM is pretty good, but I haven't really gotten deep into their music yet. Any suggestions on which album to start off with???

verte76 said:
I love both of these bands. U2 is first, of course, but I'm also a big REM fan. Both bands have always done what they felt was right, never following trends. They care about their music as art and focus on integrity and character. They have real passion and heart in their songs and in them as people. They're great friends and support the same causes, including Amnesty, Greenpeace and now debt relief and global AIDS. They're total gems.

REM are my second favouite band ever (well, maybe joint second with Radiohead,) and I totally agree with what verte76 said! And also I love the mood of their music. I don't know how to describe it, but their music has this unique flavour to it. Lots of it has this really nice nostalgic feel to it - it sort of makes me remember places I've never even been, if that makes any sense at all (maybe I'm just crazy!!? :huh: )

dizzy: get "Automatic for the People" - definitely their best album, and one of my favouite albums ever!

I like REM, although not nearly as much as U2. I only own one REM album, Out of Time, but have been thinking about expanding my collection, possibly starting with Automatic for the People. I've heard a couple of songs from Reveal, but wasn't impressed at all with them. I think I will stay away from that CD.

dizzy said:
I know REM is pretty good, but I haven't really gotten deep into their music yet. Any suggestions on which album to start off with???

While I have all REM's albums and they all have decent tunes on them...........Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant and Automatic for the People are all you really need.

Sometimes I feel like I can't even sing
I'm very scared for this world
I'm very scared for me
Eviscerate your memory
Here's a scene: you're in the backseat, laying down,
The windows wrap around to the sound of the traffic and the engine
All you hear is time stand still in travel
You feel such peace in absolute stillness still
That doesn't end, but slowly drifts into sleep
The stars are the greatest thing you've ever seen
And they're there for you
For you alone, you are the everything

I think about this world a lot
And I cry
And I've seen the films and the eyes
But I'm in this kitchen
Everything is beautiful, she is so beautiful
She is so young and old
I look at her and I see the beauty of the light of music
The voices talking somewhere in the house
Late spring, and you're drifting off to sleep with your teeth in your mouth
You are here with me
You are here with me
You have been here, and you are everything

Sometimes I feel like I can't even sing
I'm very scared for this world
I'm very scared for me
Eviscerate your memory
Here's a scene: you're in the backseat, laying down,
The windows wrap around to the sound of the traffic and the engine
All you hear is time stand still in travel
You feel such peace in absolute stillness still
That doesn't end, but slowly drifts
Into sleep
The greatest thing you've ever seen
And they're there for you
For you alone, you are the everything
For you alone, you are the everything...

--"You Are the Everything" R.E.M.

If that doesn't convince you to listen to R.E.M., I don't know what will.

Re: Re: Re: Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M

wertsie said:

But david brings up a good point. It seems like there are a LOT of people out there who love both U2 and REM.
I think you could stick the Police (for us older folks) in the mix also. I love all three for their poetic, innovative and thought provoking lyrics.

wertsie said:

:yes: This album is brilliant! I also adore "Out of Time."

Automatic For the People is brilliant. I also really like "Green". The one difference between these bands is that REM are less ambitious about their place in rock 'n roll than U2 are. U2 are *so* ambitious, and set such high standards, that I think this actually scares some people. Not me, of course!

Always been a big REM fan, but I dont understand why there is a connection - new album is probably their best IMHO - just glorious melodies, arrangements and lyrics!! maybe thats the connection - also a band with a social conscience, although u do not here about it as much

Pamela

Back
Top Bottom