Fans of U2 and fans of R.E.M

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
at times I feel R.E.M. is my favourite band
I think Stipe's best lyrics are better than Bono's best lyrics
(though Stipe has more mediocre lyrics)
I feel Stipe is a better singer
but overall (especially by adding live performances) I do consider U2 my favorite band

my only problem with R.E.M. is that at times Stipes brilliance outshines the music that accompanies it
U2 has a better balance

sometimes I am inclined to agree with that Salome, about which is the better lyricist. in the end though, I *think* Bono does win out for me.

U2 is a maybe not a better band, but I think I prefer them just slightly. not to take anything away from REM because I love them and they are brilliant, it's just a matter of personal taste and I probably like U2 more completely (meaning everything about them) than I do REM.

they're tough to compare, I love them both.

They're similar, but different

R.E.M. is indeed brilliant - the best American rock band of the last 20 years. And they and U2 do indeed have great respect for each other, witness "Automatic Baby," Bono's adlib of "Everybody Hurts" and "Losing My Religion" in the Atlanta version of "One."

I never have understood this "battle of the bands" mentality a lot of fans have. If you're a U2 fan that doesn't mean you have to diss REM.

Heck, from when I was a kid - I loved the Beatles, and I liked the Rolling Stones a lot too. I don't think there's any problem with that.

But I think it's always true that the "junior partner" of each of these "rivalries" always takes a chip-on-the-shoulder attitude, or at least their fans do. You used to hear Stones fans dog the Beatles for being "soft" but most Beatles fans always said, "hey, I like the Stones too." And I think the same thing goes with REM vs. U2.

You know what would be the coolest thing ever? U2 and REM going off to a desert island studio with a couple dozen cases of beer, and come back with a CD in which each band covers the songs of the others.

So, Larry would have to play drums for both bands. Oh well - give him a couple extra cases of beer.

Wouldn't you love hearing REM do "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?" U2 doing "Fall On Me?" Stipe singing "Ultraviolet" and "Walk On?" Bono on "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" (think "Wild Honey") and "What's The Frequency, Kenneth?"

Hell. Even let Edge sing "Man On The Moon" and Mike Mills do "Angel of Harlem." I'd buy it! :mac:

For a while in the early-to-mid 90s, REM was neck-and-neck with U2 for the "BBITW" title. Then, in the late 90s, both bands kind of eased off the throttle a bit. U2 took, IMO, a bit of a stylistic dead end with Pop while REM has wobbled a bit since Bill Berry's retirement.

U2 of course has rebounded in a big way with ATYCLB - there really is no serious challenger for the title of "BBITW." REM seems to be settling into a "cult band" status.

I think REM would be well served to add a permanent drummer to the band. I think their songs seem a little stiff since they're written without the direct input of a drummer.

I know they supposedly agreed they wouldn't do that, but their songs post-BB seem to have lost something, the organic feel most of their best stuff always had. Although Reveal was very cool in a kind of loopy, experimental way. They seem to be morphing more into a studio-only kind of group, and REM at its best was a great live group.

Too bad Foo Fighters are doing pretty well on their own - Dave Grohl joining REM as the drummer would have been a hell of an interesting idea. And supposedly they are buddies from way back so he might even be somebody the band members would be OK with. Oh well...

If you're looking to get into REM, here's the stuff to buy (discounting the greatest hits collections, which are OK but not really if you're interested in the progression of the group):

1) Out of Time. You probably already have this.

2) Automatic for the People. Very dark, folky, acoustic, brilliant stuff.

3) Murmur. Their first full album. Hear the original REM in all its murky, jangly glory.

4) Monster. REM's digression into distortion-drenched glam rock. A definite kick in the butt after the mellow groove of AFTP and Murmur.

After that, you'll probably know if you want to hear more or not. If you do: Green, Reveal, Lifes Rich Pageant, Reconstruction of the Fables, New Adventures in Hi-Fi.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. I still think they've got a few great albums left in them. :yes:

Last edited:
Re: They're similar, but different

HolyJoe914 said:

4) Monster. REM's digression into distortion-drenched glam rock. A definite kick in the butt after the mellow groove of AFTP and Murmur.

Yeah. I remember that the first ffew times I heard this album, I didn't like it at all. I thought, "What happened?! Ahhhhhh!!!!" But once I got over the shock, I loved it. GREAT album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom