Fans from the begining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pero

Refugee
Who here became a fan before The Joshua Tree and loves Pop?

I want to know opinions on Pop from u2 eary 80's fans

Like Aardvark I can't claim to be a fan since the early days. But hey I'm going to answer it anyway. :wink:

I like the 80s stuff, and I also like Pop. I probably prefer the 80's stuff though.

i am a fan since summer 1983, when i saw them on the loreley-concert on german tv. i became a hardcore fan with PRIDE & TUF. then i got deep into TJT. the best part came in 1991 when the best album ever was released ACHTUNG BABY. beautiful music and stunning lyrics. then ZOOROPA, another great record but often unterrated. i love it!

HMTMKMKM in 1995. when i first listened to this killer song i thought Marc Bolan of T.Rex has revived out of his tomb. great song, great video!
nov. '95 Passengers OST 1. wonderful experimental album with some fine beautiful moments.

then POP in 1997 at the first listenings i loved it. but then suddenly i started to hate the album. after nearly 7 years of dislike i re-discovered the brilliance of POP. i must say i always loved MOFO, MIAMI, GONE. just yesterday i listened again over headphones and was just overwhelmed and blown away. what a great fuckin' album POP is!
all of U2s albums in the 90s were years ahead of their time.

in other words i love their 80s and 90s stuff, but i don't like their last two albums. compared to all their previous records ATYCLB(their weakest album) & HTDAAB are lame ducks.

Last edited:
ive been a fan since 1981 and love pop. i probably listen to it most and it may very well be my second favorite after ab.

I've been a fan since 10th november 1979, the day when my mother decided to make my italian soul see the light in cold Germany..........
My older brother listened to them since Boy, I am grown up with U2, and Pop is definitely a U2 album that testifies theirs and my growth............................I always liked it, always will

Fan : Started in 1984
Favourite album : Zooropa & Unforgettable Fire
Saw: Popmart tour Murrayfield Stadium
Love the pop album, not perfect but still loveable!

Well I was born in 1983 so I kinda can't help not being there from the start, lol! But I wish I'd been old enough to go to stuff like the JT tour and ZooTV.

I've been an ardent fan since I first heard them on WBCN and then saw them in Boston in 1981.

Favorite albums: UF, AB and War.

Although I really like several songs on Pop, it's never struck me as being a cohesive album. There are some wonderful lyrics on Pop, but it's more a collection of individual songs ... nothing flows.

fan since 1981...

not too crazy about Pop only like a few songs..

the tour in America got off to a rocky start.

db9

I have been a fan since 1984.

I don't really like POP as a whole album, but there are several songs that I love from it.
I guess I'm 50/50 on that album. I like half of it, hate the other half.

Also a fan since 1981. I greeted Pop with indifference, seeing Popmart was mandatory but getting the album was optional which I did at least six months after the show.

I remember thinking how good a lot of the then new songs sounded live, Gone, IGWSHA, etc...

A fan since 1980-81.

Favourite album The Joshua Tree (closely followed by AB)

I LOVE Pop!

The press had made out that Pop would be a dance-oriented album so I thought "Shit!" until I bought it and realised that this 'dance album' was just using 'club' sounds and technology - very experimental!

It comes across as a 'hard' album - a bit sleazy and dirty at times, but I like that.

Under-rated and over-criticised make it an album that will always divide the fans.

DEFINITLEY their coolest period...and what a fuckin stage show.

WOW!

Been a fan since 1980 and not missed a tour since but I don't like POP- only like a couple of tracks.
Not one of the better albums by a LONG way!!

Been a fan since 1983. POP is the most played album I have!

Have my own personal tracklisting starting with Pop Music-Mofo-Discotheque for ~80 minutes of pure bliss!

POP-tracklist.jpg

The original CD release gets played multiple times too!

Last edited:
I've been a fan since I was 9-10ish..that was in 87-88. My mom got me into U2. Yay MOM:applaud:

and yes I love Pop:love:

I guess I'm your stereotypical 80's fan who dislikes Pop. I have been a fan since 1983 and I love all U2's albums except Pop and Passengers. I do like Gone and SATS, that's it.

I do love AB and don't mind Zooropa. I know lots of people who ignore all post 80s' U2, they are missing a lot of good stuff (just not Pop) but you can't change their minds. We all have our own taste!

Back
Top Bottom