Fall Music Preview from Rolling Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partygirl2u

The Fly
Erie, Pa. USA a place that has to be believed to
Rolling Stone
Issue 957, Sept.16, 2004

Harvest Season
Hot New disc from U2
November (tentative)

The stripped-down songs on U2's new release rely on little more than guitar, bass and drums, to epic effect. The still untitled disc is lean and loud, with the heaviest guitars the band has put on record since The Joshua Tree in 1987. "Vertigo", the first single, is a classic U2 anthem-full of charging rhythms and clanging guitars. The album was recorded at the bands studio in Dublin and in the South of France, with Steve Lillywhite, Flood, Nellee Hooper, Jacknife Lee and Chris Thomas.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

i love the description "Epic effect" and "classic U2 anthem full of charging rhythms and clanging guitars":drool:

i didn't know that Joshua Tree had heavy guitars.

by "epic", i'm praying that U2 has a Faith No More cover on the album.

great article. more praise.....:wink: When he said "epic effect" I was definetly satisfied. It's been a good news day, with this and the tracklisting discussed in Q Magazine.

I think the reviewer is implying that the new album is driven by guitar like Joshua and Achtung as oppossed to Joshua being "heavy" guitar.

Is it just me or does this new album already have an incredibly positve buzz. Even more so than ATYCLB which was a critical success. This is all extremely exciting!!!!

mikal said:
i didn't know that Joshua Tree had heavy guitars.

Well, I think Bullet and Exit spring to mind, but this reviewer might be thinking Streets and God's Country as being "heavy guitars." I guess each to his/her own on what exactly is "heavy."

walkon71 said:
Is it just me or does this new album already have an incredibly positve buzz. Even more so than ATYCLB which was a critical success.
I think you're right. I think that the press is going to go absolutely crazy over the new album this time well before its release. ATYCLB definitely put U2 back into the classification of "media darlings".

Add all of that free buzz with the 10 mil. ithey're going to spend on promotion and I'd say that the new album couldn't get a much better launch.

TheFirstBigW said:

I think you're right. I think that the press is going to go absolutely crazy over the new album this time well before its release. ATYCLB definitely put U2 back into the classification of "media darlings".

Add all of that free buzz with the 10 mil. ithey're going to spend on promotion and I'd say that the new album couldn't get a much better launch.

Indeed. Also, about the album, I think it will be ATYCLB's rockier, more guitar-driven relation (ABOY is reminiscent of B. Day I feel) but with more of Edge's classic guitar driving the songs tat we haven't heatd since '91. :)

Black Math said:

Indeed. Also, about the album, I think it will be ATYCLB's rockier, more guitar-driven relation (ABOY is reminiscent of B. Day I feel) but with more of Edge's classic guitar driving the songs tat we haven't heatd since '91. :)
I hope you're right.

ATYCLB crossed with pre-'92 U2 would suit me just fine! ;)

TheFirstBigW said:

I hope you're right.

ATYCLB crossed with pre-'92 U2 would suit me just fine! ;)

I just hope they are more ambitious with the guitars this time, and judging from the two song clips, they are! (In my opinion that is the main thing lacking from ATYCLB, more up-tempo songs)

Still a fine 8/10 album though. :)

That sounds cool, I'm really pumped about this record. I love how quiet they're being about it all, I can't help but feel a 'leak' will happen some time early September in terms of Vertigo. Go on U2, I know you want to!

Oh wow, it sounds like it's going to be absolutely fantastic! This is going to be one hell of an amazing record, I can feel it ...

partygirl2u said:
Rolling Stone
Issue 957, Sept.16, 2004

Harvest Season
Hot New disc from U2
November (tentative)

The stripped-down songs on U2's new release rely on little more than guitar, bass and drums, to epic effect. The still untitled disc is lean and loud, with the heaviest guitars the band has put on record since The Joshua Tree in 1987. "Vertigo", the first single, is a classic U2 anthem-full of charging rhythms and clanging guitars. The album was recorded at the bands studio in Dublin and in the South of France, with Steve Lillywhite, Flood, Nellee Hooper, Jacknife Lee and Chris Thomas.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Nellee Hooper?

They started with him on POP (I think only If you wear that velvet dress remained from those sessions) and if I remember right, he produced Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me.

:confused: Along with Iovine and Lanois rumored helping out, I have no clue what to think.

Joshua Tree-like sound? That's the third album we've heard so far related to the newbie: along with Boy and Achtung Baby.

:confused:

Back
Top Bottom