EXCLUSIVE: Bono (U2) Gig - Sep 07 @ "The O2" UK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there's nothing special about it, not to me and not to you, but at the end of the day whether we warrant a photo worthy of a copyright is irrelevant, its his photo and his right to claim it from the off whether you like the picture or not

and thats a stupid argument - how many pictures in your photo album are of things that belong to you? the mountain in the background, the boats in a dock? congratulations, according to your reasoning you just wasted time taking photos of things that don't belong to you :|

and yeah, amazing pictures come from inanimate objects - i'm not even beginning to say that this is one of them, but who's to say that a picture you or i might deem pointless isn't worth something to someone else. it not a matter of artistic judgement or worthiness, its a right to claim

once again - his picture, his right to copyright it

PlaTheGreat said:
All right, what is so special about this photo to warrant a copyright? It's not his writing, it's not his publishing, it's not his newspaper, period. It's not his. If I go to a store, take a photo of the clothes and slap a copyright on it, it doesn't mean anything except I've wasted time taking a photo of things that don't belong to me.
It's just a way to gain internet fame and that's useless.

Exactly..

digsy said:

once again - his picture, his right to copyright it

But it isn't official!! That's the point I was trying to make! Let's say I posted that picture right now, can he sue me? No because it isn't official!

digsy said:

and thats a stupid argument - how many pictures in your photo album are of things that belong to you? the mountain in the background, the boats in a dock? congratulations, according to your reasoning you just wasted time taking photos of things that don't belong to you :|

The difference is I don't go around claiming that it's mine forever and ever and ever.

PlaTheGreat said:

The difference is I don't go around claiming that it's mine forever and ever and ever.

you really wouldn't claim a picture you took was your own photo regardless of the content???
bollocks

tpsglick2424 said:

But it isn't official!! That's the point I was trying to make! Let's say I posted that picture right now, can he sue me? No because it isn't official!

actually it is official - he may not be able to win financial compensation off you for it, but he can claim his copyright

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

When does Copyright Protection begin, and what is required?

Copyright protection begins when any of the above described work is actually created and fixed in a tangible form.

For example, my brother is a musician and he lives in the United States. When he writes new lyrics, he prints them out on paper, signs his name at the bottom with the Copyright © symbol to show that he is the author, places it in an envelope and mails it to himself without opening it. His copyright begins at the moment he puts his idea in a tangible form by printing the lyrics out on paper. He creates proof when he mails it to himself - the postmark establishes the date of creation. He then registers his copyright with the U.S. Copyright Office which is a requirement in order to sue for monetary damages should a violation of his copyright arise. However, if somebody copies and redistributes his lyrics without permission before his copyright is registered, he still has the right to assert a copyright claim as the true author.

Ugh, this is all just an argument of semantics now. Why is no one talking about this Concert next year? I want tickets dammit!

tpsglick2424 said:

You are wrong:

When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

edit: Ha digsy! I shake my fist at you!

PlaTheGreat said:
I don't slap copyrights on any of my photos. Ever.
Period.

your choice, but whether you stick a copyright on it, its still under copyright.
and if someone ran off with one of your pictures, claimed it as their own and used it in a way beneficial to them maybe making a fortune off it using it as a logo, or winning a competition with it, you would be trying to assert your copyright pretty damn quickly i think

again, i dont think this picture is worth any of that obviously, but you lot tore into this guy for simply doing what it is his right to do with a picture he takes

meh, i dont really care to get into copyright law discussion because i'm not an expert on it and i'll never hear the end of it if i get some of this wrong which i quite easily could

my problem from the start was the treatment of this guy for sticking up a piece of information relating to the band and getting absolutely torn apart for something as simple as a "please don't use my pictures without my permission"

it was childishly mean

digsy said:

you really wouldn't claim a picture you took was your own photo regardless of the content???
bollocks

Actually a few months ago (when I didn't know any better) I found a pic that Pla made and I resized it and put it as my avatar...Of course I found out later and apologized to Pla.

The reason I did that avatar was because I just saw it one day and took it. I didn't even pay attention to it...I could of payed attention to the copyright thing but there wasn't anything...Also after all of Pla has done I haven't seen one copyright mark anywhere on the pic.

digsy said:

my problem from the start was the treatment of this guy for sticking up a piece of information relating to the band and getting absolutely torn apart for something as simple as a "please don't use my pictures without my permission"

There was no please there was a

Permission must be granted from me before use of this picture for any purpose (c) Chichard41 - All Rights Reserved

Which made it funny in the first place..

I didn't really mind you using the photo. I never get angry when people repost my photoshopping things. :wink:

Otherwise I'd have murdered LemonMacPhisto a few months ago.

This thing's going to be closed anyways. :happy: :lock: :happy:

i get that tpsglick2424, but thats just an avatar on a website
i've had my own pics used on here and while slightly annoying i didn't do anything about it cause i couldn't be arsed (had someone tried to claim it as their own though, that would have been a different matter but thats another argument to have!)

i'm talking more having a picture nicked and used to someone elses benefit - like entered into a competition as someone elses or , as in the case of a friend of mine, having a picture/design he did stolen and ending up as the logo for a huge corporation that was worth thousands and thousands.
not likely to happen here i know but its the basic principle i'm talking about.

look i got to go now anyway
surprising as it may be i don't really care about copyright laws and violations, my point was the treatment of a fan just trying to share information.
i thought it was disgraceful

Last edited:
tpsglick2424 said:

There was no please there was a

Which made it funny in the first place..

picking at straws dont you think, the message is the same

Ehh, not really, I think it's just trying to be too serious..I mean it IS only just a picture..

Ok I think everyone has made their points and has said what they want to say on this matter.

If the OP wishes to start a new thread to actually discuss the topic, and not the pic, he may do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom