Excess Radio- U2 WEEK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gareth brown

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I 'DJ' on an online radio station called Excess Radio (A radio station run by my Anime Crazy friend, Tom. He plays J-Pop, J-Rock and Anime related on the station almost all of the time. But has given me a weekly show to play anything I want on the station, my show sort of gives people a break from all the Japanese stuff and caters for all tastes. Paddy on Demand- 8PM GMT Fridays. Repeated 5PM GMT Saturdays.)

As i've played rather too much U2, (say three or four songs a show- which is quite a bit from where I'm standing. I've decided I'd like to Host: Excess Radio- U2 Week. A Week of Shows dedicated to the Music of U2

Here are some of the ideas I have for the shows:

• Top 25 U2 Songs- A special 25 track run-down of what U2 fans think are U2's greatest songs.
  • B-sides/Rarities Night- A show dedicated for the B-sides/Rare Tracks of U2. Could try and play a list of fave B-sides as well as Rare early tracks (Demos, etc. Maybe some of the Salom? Sessions...)
  • The Complete Joshua Tree- I'm not sure on this one. I'm just thinking, since I have the entire album and all the 'Missing' Tracks, it would quite cool to play what is said to be 'The Greatest Album ever Recorded' in it's entirety.
  • U2 Live- Definetley want to end the Special U2 Week with one or two live shows. My idea is to play various live picks which U2 fans think are special. Or hopefully play One or two complete Concerts. Suggestions and Submissions of Live Tracks more than welcome for this one!
  • If you have any suggestions, don't hesitate to post them :)

What do you think? A good idea or bad idea? Would you listen to this U2 Week if I were to host one on Excess Radio? Have any Suggestions? What I should and shouldn't do/include?

Please let me know...:)

Paddy

Last edited:
Congrats Paddy, that sounds awesome, don't think I can get your show on my side of the pond though :( at least not without a better radio range. Best of luck to you though. I love your ideas,

A few of my own: U2 request/ dedication nite, where ppl call in or email you ahead of time with their choices and dedications. A nite devoted to their early years (pre-War), A Zoo TV nite where you invite ppl to call in to your Confessional Booth. If you're on the air around Valentine's Day you could play a set of their romantic songs/ covers.

So very cool Paddy. Let me know how it goes. :applaud:

Early Years! That's what was missing!! I had to re-write that whole list again after it told me not to post a link to an outside page until I'd posted 15 times. Definetley having an Early years night.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Keeping all of them on a list, don't worry.

Are you sure you wouldn't be able to listen? All you need is a pretty decent Modem so the 'Station' won't keep Re-buffering. All you need to do is click the Link in my first post (above) and listen. :)

I would definitely listen if it weren't for my crappy Internet connection. I may be getting an improved one in the near future, so I may just be able to tune in.

Some stuff I recommend;

You MUST play 11 O'clock Tick Tock from 5 June 1983 (Under A Blood Red Sky video). In my opinion, it's the best song ever.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, Exit, Where The Streets Have No Name, and particularly Bad and With Or Without You from the Rattle And Hum video are great and you should play them.

This top 25 - is it just studio tracks?

You could have a night where you play all of U2's songs that have hit number one in a particular country, and I think one of B-sides/rarities is definitely a good idea. On this rarities night, make sure you play A Celebration.

Don't worry yourself. I've already got the following tracks down that you mentioned.

• 11 O'Clock Tick Tock (Live at Red Rocks) I'm hopefully gonna play the entire concert!
  • With or Without You- Live from Rattle and Hum. That's the best live version of that song EVER.
  • Bad- From Rattle and Hum

I'll let you all know more as it all happens.

U2 Covers - songs they've covered or other artists covering them.

Side Projects - Edge's Captive, Mission Impossible, Bono's many solo songs, Passengers

Passengers goes without saying :)

Captive, I'm actually yet to hear that! I shall try and find a copy soon! Mission Impossible...hmmm, dunno...could do, i suppose..

Like the idea of the covers though! :D

You've seen RAH and still think that? Wow.

Paddy, when's this U2 Week going to be happening? Playing all of the Red Rocks show would be just AWESOME because it's a great concert. In my opinion, it's the equal best concert by anyone ever (tied with 23 September 1997, Sarajevo).

wolfeden said:
Salome - The Achtung Baby Outtakes!!

I'm already ahead of you on that one! They are on my list of prioritised material, I absolutley LOVE those 3 discs, (LCK sent me them last year) and it seems a HUGE shame that so many great songs seemed to go to waste! (Sunset in Colours, Heaven and Hell, to mention two) Definetley getting a lot of airtime to themselves, or with the whole demo show...who knows...

DiscothequeLP, first time I ever heard the 'Wide Awake...' version of Bad...I could NOT believe what I was hearing! It is absolutley STUNNING!

and finally, Axver. I am still uncertain about the dates on which this show will be taking place. I'm still thinking about the stuff to include and have put this idea to one side for a while, i guess...my regular show is rather scattered, partly because I send all the MP3s to my friend who runs the station on his computer when he sees fit and I just forget to do a show each Friday...I shall let you all know though :)

My slot on Excess usually falls into 8PM GMT

Which should make a nice bit of evening listening for you Brits, good stuff for the middle of the day for you Americans...and radio worth staying up for in the middle of Asia...

Back
Top Bottom