excerpt from Business 2.0 about Bono - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2002, 10:19 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 06:24 PM
excerpt from Business 2.0 about Bono

was cleaning out my email inbox when I found an email my dad had sent me about a story on Business 2.0's web site during the Economic Forum. Thought some of you would be interested.

"At least the cops outside the World Economic Forum didn't freeze for nothing. A small sea of demonstrators turned up on Saturday to wave placards and chant, "W-E-F: Shut It Down." If they planned to rush the Waldorf-Astoria, they didn't stand a chance. Rows of police in riot gear, backed up by two rows of police on very large horses, made for an intimidating presence. I kept walking out between sessions in case trouble started. There was none to speak of. Inside the forum, however, talks were taking turns that the protestors would have liked -- if they were able to suspend their skepticism.

I'm learning that the way to pick your sessions is to watch for star power. I planned on the Telecom session, but quickly realized that a chance to catch U2's Bono and Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill was much better value. The secretary was out of touch, at least in the way he used language. His vast experience around the globe as Alcoa's CEO (AA) told him that there was "nothing wrong with the raw material" of humanity. Thank you, Mr. Secretary, that's quite a revelation. What we need, he suggested no less adroitly, is to get people to "produce economic value. "

Bono made up for O'Neill. This guy is as articulate as he is anti-suit, and he's all about progress. I'm sure O'Neill makes him wince, but guess what? Bono is his new pal and Bono is working on him to wipe out debt obligations in sub-Saharan African countries. Bono is even taking O'Neill to Africa to see what wonder that can work. Hats off to Mr. U2 -- it would be a lot easier for him to be chanting on the barricades, but he's busy charming the guy who can make a difference."

Old 02-14-2002, 10:24 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Old 02-14-2002, 10:52 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

bono in business 2.0??!!
that's bloody hilarious. the only publication he has yet to appear in is probably the economist.

------------------
don't.