Everyone send out good vibes for Rick Rubin to be the producer of the next album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What I find strange is -- if we want a re-invention of some sort, why would we want someone who is an expert at producing big, media friendly material? I agree though that he might finally yank some heavier tunes out of them, given his background. Personally I like the thought of Nigel Goderich, but as long as it isn't Jack White, I'll be ok.

Rubin would strip U2 to their core and we'd probably have a simple album along the lines of Boy and October again.

Rubin would probably push Bono to be soulful and introspective as well. We'd probably get stuff along the lines of One Step Closer..

i dunno...

Rick Rubin: This year alone, he has produced the GREAT - Neil Diamond.. and the NOT SO GREAT - Weezer, Audioslave, Shakira, System Of A Down. And I say that having listened to all of those cds in full BECAUSE they were Rubin Projects. I Think he is a great producer... For Johnny Cash and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. But other than that, I am not convinced.

Nigel Godrich: He has done great work with Radiohead and Beck (He produced Beck's 2 best albums), but his production on the WALK ON single mix left much to be desired, stripping away the grand and sprawling feel that the album version had.

I think someone like Flood would be better suited. He did good work on Pop and Zooropa...

My money, were it to be on someone fresh, would be on ALAN MOULDER, who has a history of pulling the best material out of a performer in the studio... and worked with Flood on

U2 - POP
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness

as well as producing, by himself
Elastica
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile &With Teeth
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever To Tell (listen to Y CONTROL and tell me he wouldn't be an interesting choice for producing a U2 record)

He was also behind the BRILLIANT "extended dance mix" of Lady With The Spinning Head, which I would Consider a massive improvement over the UV1 mix, and is still one of my favorite U2 songs.

I would like to see Alan Moulder & Flood coproduce a U2 record. That would be an interesting process, and a nice change of pace.

Flying FuManchu said:
The guy who produced the new Coldplay album or maybe Coldplay themselves should help produce the new U2 album. Sales may go through the roof and it will definitely be good stuff.

While I respect your opinion, I think this would turn into U2's worst album ever. PLus the Coldplay dude is responsible for parts of HTDAAB... I think.

hasnt Edge been seen with Bob Ezrin recently? i know both are involved with the Music Rising foundation...

Ezrin's produced:
pink floyd - the wall
alice cooper
lou reed
janes addiction

not a bad resume...

To give U2 a good kick in the butt, and to get the speed and the atmosphere back in this band:

TREVOR HORN!!! at the steering wheel.

Flood for extra assistance

Lanois as part-time 5th bandmember (like in the AB-recording)

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom