Every song on JT album played live, except one. WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimcart

The Fly
I would really like for someone to prove me wrong because I would love to hear this song. However, I have scoured U2setlists.com and I can not find where U2 has played Red Hill Mining Town anywhere! Oh, they've played Springhill Mining Disaster about a billion times, but RHMT is the only song on the Joshua Tree album that I haven't been able to find a live recording of. If you can...HELP ME!

------------------
I believe in the Kingdom Come, Then all the colors will bleed into one, But yes I'm still running.

Good luck buddy, you didn't find it for no reason, it's really never been played. As far as I know it's because Bono couldn't hit the notes live. Rumor is they had even shot video for it and were gonna release it as a single but as soon as they realized they couldn't play it the video got pulled before it was ever aired. Oh well if you find it for some odd reason let me know.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Legend has it they soundchecked it once on the JT Tour, but it was never played live. A shame, that song could have had some power live....

They could of played it live maybe during the Lovetown tour. How? Well Bono's voice really was intense during that period, while listening to bootleg versions of Bad it sounded like he was tearing his throat up.

Maybe it was a good thing they never played it. Bono's voice would of probably been dead by the time of Zoo TV.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

I'd heard that Bono couldn't play it live because it was such an emotional song for him that he couldn't get through it, and they'd pulled the video because they weren't happy with it. I suppose only the band et al will ever know the truth. Still an awesome song though!
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I've been searching this evening, and I got this answer from u2faq.com:

2.3.10 Why haven't I seen the video for "Red Hill Mining Town"?
{PC} The song was actually slated to be the second single off of the album. The video was shot in Bodie, California (a ghost town) and directed by Neil Jordan. But while W/or W/Out You was doing its tour of duty, the band was rehearsing for the tour and they discovered that Red Hill was too high for Bono to sing every night and would not be in the set list for the tour. And as logic says: What's the good of touring if you can't use it to promote your latest record/single?

{M2} The video was actually shot in London, not California. The original copy of the video remains in storage at Principle Management's offices in Dublin. Rumors have circulated that MTV showed this video once on-air, and that they also have a copy of it in their "library." These rumors are just that, and they are false.

------------------
I believe in the Kingdom Come, Then all the colors will bleed into one, But yes I'm still running.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Wasn't the video part of the "Outside its America" special that appeared on MTV? I'll have to check that out tonight.

nope. I've watched that video MULTIPLE times in the last month (recording it for fellow interferencers) and it's not on there.

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Your right - a bit of clarity just hit me...I'm thinking of "In God's Country"

yep, that was on there...as well as the vid to Spanish Eyes. Both great songs!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
So this video exists out there somewhere, and none of us die hards will ever get to see it??? That is sooooo not fair!!

the band were very unhappy with the video and burried it. the song itself was to high and too perfect in the studio and was thought that it wouldnt "work" live

------------------
Fino

Back
Top Bottom