Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Magnificent wasn't a hit single (it wasn't, right?) I would be surprised if EBW became a hit. Magnificent is catchier, more tuneful and sounds like the quintessential soaring U2 song. EBW is good but it takes a few listens to warm up. Initially it sounds like a Joshua Tree B-side. Whereas Magnificent has instant appeal.

So I'd honestly be surprised if EBW became a hit single.

I thought Magnificent was supposed to be "by the numbers/cookie cutter U2"? :huh:

I thought Magnificent was supposed to be "by the numbers/cookie cutter U2"? :huh:
Yup, always that way to me. Didn't grab me. It felt too much like U2 trying to be U2 and that is a subjective thought. Same thing goes to COBL, although to me that song had much more merit, but I will keep comparing it to Streets, and that is not a comparison anyone wants to invite.

I stopped myself from posting immediately because it is a little scary to like a song so much after the first listen. It is truly beautiful lyrically. I'd say it could well turn out to be my favourite u2 song since Kite (chronologically speaking). And the chorus is killer. To those saying this album does not have a u2 classic, EBW is it. It hits the spot.
I would be very surprised if this doesn't become their next big thing, but they have to be smart about it. No messing around with anything else for the first single. This has to be it, they have got a sure thing here. Release it with a good video, preferably not one featuring Bono too prominently, ala electrical storm or AIWIY.
Because, whisper it, he is not too popular in non-U2 spheres.

But it's already too late for EBW to be the first single, because The Miracle is it.

This one is still high in my ranking of the songs. :hmm: There's just one part of the chorus that doesn't feel right for me, it's a bit awkward or forced sounding (the dog/defeat line), but otherwise the song's still pretty great.

Well, I like Magnificent. I think the song and that chord progression in particular is brilliant despite sounding like typical U2. It doesn't sound forced to me whereas the cookie cutter stuff on Bomb sounds forced.

That opening trio on NLOTH is I think the best opening of any album since Pop.

But it's already too late for EBW to be the first single, because The Miracle is it.

This one is still high in my ranking of the songs. :hmm: There's just one part of the chorus that doesn't feel right for me, it's a bit awkward or forced sounding (the dog/defeat line), but otherwise the song's still pretty great.

I meant as the physical release of the first single. I wouldnt call miracle a first single based on the fact that it was performed before the album dropped. Technically I guess it is, but having created a buzz with the album the first song they put out there with a video to be seen on youtube or music channels is a big deal. It will draw in more people and I think EBW is the way to go

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Miracle is being widely referenced as the first single in news and reviews and getting mainstream radio play. It's the first single.

Okay then. Please let second single with video be EBW

That and the fact that U2 are calling it a single. I mean it's pretty clear that it is the only one being called a single at this point. However, who knows, they may do something different for the first physically released one when they get an idea on what's being talked about or played, though that didn't prompt them to release Moment of Surrender as a single, even though it seemed unanimously praised while there was still time to do so.

(Screenshot from U2.com. It's the first single.)

ScreenShot2014-09-16u2comAM.png~original

Interesting to note it seems like most people are so so on Every Breaking Wave. I wonder if that is because people prefer the stripped down version on the 360 tour. Even though I like both I would prefer the 360 version. It just seems more soulful and even though I like the chorus especially on the album version it almost seems like they could of both been two seperate songs.

EBW took time for me. Initially it felt like yet another WOWY type song that U2 can create in their sleep. And it was not even half as melodic or memorable as WOWY. I was a bit meh about it. But the song does grow on you.. like most of this album, really. Then I started enjoying the subtle touches in the song like the vocal delivery on "I thought I heard the captain's voice..." and "are we so helpless against the tide". Good song but I wouldn't call it a classic.

Interesting to note it seems like most people are so so on Every Breaking Wave. I wonder if that is because people prefer the stripped down version on the 360 tour. Even though I like both I would prefer the 360 version. It just seems more soulful and even though I like the chorus especially on the album version it almost seems like they could of both been two seperate songs.

I think you're projecting.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The only great song on the album for me, and then to think this song was already largely made 5+ years ago. What have they been doing?

The things that irritate me more and more about this song:

1. The WOWY vibe. Yesterday when it was played on radio during one of the Bono interviews I was like: Oh no, please not WOWY now! in the beginning, until I realized it's actually EBW :doh: This is bugging me even more as time goes by and seems rather lame.

2. The verses. Bono is more talking than singing here and he sounds kind of out of breath, as if he's having a really hard time delivering those verses. The lyrics are mostly beautiful and there's some very good moments here, but the verses don't do that much for me. I liked the original, raw, acoustic live version more.

But the chorus makes up for all of that, I have to say. It's sugary and all, but it's beautiful and comes with a real U2 force. Love the chorus, not so keen on the verses and the bridge. I wish there would be more singing, less stuttering on that song.

I think I might remove EBW from my SOI playlist as I really think it is out of place. Maybe try and see if it fits on my NLOTH playlist somewhere????

Honestly if anyone ever heard EBW come on the radio and thought it was WOWY for even enough time to subsequently write on an Internet forum to that effect, I'd recommend they get to an audiologist.

Sent from my ass crack

Honestly if anyone ever heard EBW come on the radio and thought it was WOWY for even enough time to subsequently write on an Internet forum to that effect, I'd recommend they get to an audiologist.

Sent from my ass crack

Sorry, but to be fair the similiarity it´s pretty obvious

this song just isn't doing it for me, I think it's my least favourite on the album, I can't understand all the fawning, there are many more superior tunes on this album

Sent from my ass crack

This.
I am a huge WOWY fan but the first time I heard EBW I didn't think of WOWY at all. A friend pointed it out and I said that it's not exactly the same, I would have heard it if it was.
I am not a music afficionado, but I don't think that the notes are similar. The beat may be, and the fact that there are four chords with each probably being played the same number of times as the four on WOWY were, but they are not the same.
Now Under Pressure and Ice Ice Baby, that's a different story.

Every Breaking Wave - A, C#m, E, B
With or Without You - D, A, Bm, G

Not only are the chords totally different, the figure is very different. The only similarity is that there are four chords. And that Adam plays a root note figure. A lot of songs for that bill that aren't With it Without You.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom