Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This would make such a great single. Glad they stuck with this song

Sent from my SM-T210 using U2 Interference mobile app

Love the way he sings "if you go your way and I'll go mine" great song with heartbreaking undertones

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Brilliant.
I loved the early live versions we heard, and the fan improvised version on youtube was top notch as well, but I am delighted to say they have improved it.
I would have expected the newer added parts to be over the top and overblown but they're not. It's an understated simmering ballad in the vein of One, Stay and WOWY, a type of song that I think U2 are peerless at producing but hadn't done so in ages until now.

As much as I'm adapting to this "new" version, I'm seriously hoping this is one of the acoustic cuts on the deluxe version.

I'm glad they stuck with it - I think it's one B's best lyrics in a long time.

The acoustic version didn't have a proper chorus, but I liked its rawness. I would be very interested in hearing the version they did with Danny Lanois for NLOTH and how different it was from the one they played live during the tour.

Every Breaking Wave .. Album version .. has a "big radio hit" feeling to me...

Although this is quite a straight forward mid-tempo Ballad I can appreciate its beauty ... surprisingly I like it !

The acoustic version didn't have a proper chorus, but I liked its rawness. I would be very interested in hearing the version they did with Danny Lanois for NLOTH and how different it was from the one they played live during the tour.

Might be cool to see if a 'demo' version could be put out with a potential single release.

Sounds like a The Killers song tbh, not that I mind, I love the killers. It's just that it feels like it would be even better with Mr. Flowers' voice :|

Actually the more I listen, the more it becomes clear that I don't like how Bonos vocals sound these days, had the same problem with the majority of NLOTH, too bad.

Sounds like a The Killers song tbh, not that I mind, I love the killers. It's just that it feels like it would be even better with Mr. Flowers' voice :|

Doesn't sound anything like the killers to me and would much rather have bonos voice

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Yes I do hear elements of the Killers(Day and Age)--maybe This is the world that we live in. I'm not really loving this song though. You can't begrudge Brandon Flowers' voice is amazing Bono even attests to that.

After a few listens, this is still easily the best song on the album for me.

The only complaint I have: I dislike the bridge where Bono is speed singing "the sea knows where are the rocks and drowning is no sin......." Seems like that part doesn't belong in the song.

I mean this Twilight Zone discussion of The Killers and Brandon Flowers having an "amazing voice". I feel like when my dad talks to me about how Elvis was a great vocalist.

I prefer the urgency and the understated beauty of the live version. This version seems polished in the verses, but the chorus is too... happy? It's not sticking with me emotionally.

Actually the more I listen, the more it becomes clear that I don't like how Bonos vocals sound these days, had the same problem with the majority of NLOTH, too bad.

:huh: How can you like U2 and not like Bono's voice...?

it does sound a bit like The Killers...probably because The Killers sometimes sound like U2. this just sounds like classic U2 which is a sound that has had a huge influence on modern music.

I like it enough, but my absolute favourite part of it (and in fact one of my favourite musical moments ever) was the melodic "The waves know / we're on the rocks / drowning is no sin" and "Ah ah oh OOOOOOOOO, OO OO OOO..." parts, real shame they didn't leave those in for the album version IMO.

Soo....about 15 seconds in, and I have goosebumps. Wow, I knew the song would be good, but THIS GOOD!? :up:

Agreed. My fear is that they would butcher this song. While it is a little overproduced compared to what I think the original during the NLOTH sessions would have sounded like, in no way am I offended by it. The chorus is a great addition to the verses that I already liked.

The only issue I'm having a hard time warming up to though is Bono basically speed reading this verse, which was actually my favorite part of the live version:

The waves know where are the rocks
And drowning is no sin
You know where my heart is
The same place that yours has been
And we know the fear to win
And so we end before we begin
Before we begin

But if I hadn't heard the live version before this, I probably would have no problem with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom