Every Breaking Wave - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quote:
Bono on Chris Martin
'We were playing with (Every Breaking Wave) for the last album and Chris talked us out of it. He said, 'That one deserves to be finished.' The half-baked version would have denied us this, so we owe him for that... he's a genius and a very self-effacing guy. He's one of our bodyguards.'

Wow. Do we have to, like, thank him now?

Well, I hope that Chris Martin and his promenades on studio during the recording sessions are not partly responsible for turning "Every Breaking Wave" from an unfinished potential mediative atmosferic song into a generic song targeted to be a pop-rock radio hit (specially in the lyrics) or for choices such as "Song For Someone" and so.

The acoustic version is really rather nice but would of been great to hear Edge's vox joining in with the 'if you go' parts during the chorus. Picks up a lot more towards the end.

Last night's performance was really lovely, and it's great to see them immerse in the song as it progresses.

Had yet another listen to the BBC Radio 2 version & gave it some proper volume.

Chills all over. That last chorus just breaks me...:sad:

The BBC2 appearance overall was just the gem of a recording. All 5 songs were really brilliantly executed. This track was the heart of the show & it finally convinced me that this is a "real" U2 single. :up:

I just can't get into this song no matter how hard I try

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You have not liked this song since day 1, I don't think that will change. Usually (not always) first instincts are lasting.

If I'm not mistaken, Iris was your favorite song, right? Is it still?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Ironically, the album version of EBW is my least favourite rendition of the track, ventures too far into Killers territory for my liking.

The acoustic version reveals the emotive core of the song far more clearly and the BBC session is even better, Bono's vocal in particular is exceptional. Frustrating that this isn't on the deluxe disc,

I feel the stripped down version stands a better chance of being a hit than the album take, simply because it has so much more poise and pathos and is so unlike the typical 'loud and proud' U2 single.

Love love love this song.

The Full band and the acoustic version. The full band version fills me with euphoria but the acoustic one makes me weak and want to cry ??

So any takers on which "version" makes the single? Personally, I'd think the acoustic version would be a ballsy choice, no? Hell, with the shows they've been doing, the video would already be done :hmm:

I think the acoustic version could actually get radio play. The album version will not.

The owls are not what they seem.

Anyone think there's a chance that we could eventually hear the NLOTH studio version? It'd be really cool if they did it as a B-Side to the EBW single or something.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom