Ever think Bono is better than we know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:

To each his own.

I thought the issue was how much time Bono spends in the studio, not whether or not his lyrics suck. (he's had good and bad lyrics on every album, every era)

not achtung...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I would have much rather seen you address the debate at hand...

oh well.

what debate? the one you dont understand? that one?

Well i thought i replied to your question but you didnt seem to get past the opening line.

I don't think that a studio's sterile environment, not to mention the pressure, is the best setting to come up with great lyrics in the early stages of an album's production. Creativity frequently happens in bursts, and being under pressure (real or imagined) to come up with great lyrics under a deadline can backfire. Plus it can create unnecessary tensions and frustrations within the band.

Those 8 song lyrics mentioned are an example. Of course the ones we heard were not great, but I'm sure some of the others were. I think during the middle and later stages, however, he should be in the studio more.

t8thgr8 said:
Well, I was simply stating that Bono is so good he doesn't have to be there for the whole process of the album, like the others, for him to have his significant impact.

Look, theres no way I can explain what I feel like Bono brings to the table. Its just sort of like a strange chill. And the last two albums feel a little too comfortable. And im thinking its because Bono hasnt been in the studio enough tossing around ideas.

So now we finally get to the crux of the issue! :wink: Yes I agree that U2s last two albums have very little of that "chill factor" in the songs but whether that's solely due to Bono's contribution, or the lack of, is something we'll never really know.

I've been thinking about this all day at work and I think the reason why U2/Bono consciously or subconsciously stayed away from that "chill factor" may have a lot to do with what's been going on in their private lives of late, i.e. the reason why U2 postponed the tour at the beginning of last year and the same reason why they postponed the tour at the beginning of this year. You can't go through something like that without it, in some way, infiltrating into your work especially if you're an artist.

Maybe they needed to write songs of healing, hope, joy and songs that shine light into the dark, to help them through. It's called "behaving your way to success" (to quote Dr. Phil!) and I can relate to this coz HTDAAB came out just at the time when I was just recovering from life saving surgery. And songs like "Vertigo" ABOY, "Miracle Drug" LAPOE, OOTS, "Yahweh" helped in my speedy recovery coz I was determined to see U2 perform these songs live and I wasn't going to let the 25 cm scar on the abdomen stop me!! :wink:

How's that for a indepth definitive analysis of an album?!? :cute:

Last edited:
In 1997 Bono explained that he used to spend too much time on the music itself (bass, drums, guitar, production) and not enough on the lyrics and that he would focus just on the lyrics in the future.
Then he became very busy because of his African activities and was always absent during the recording of ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
So the music in the last two albums is not Bono's music but The Edge/Larry/Adam's music + Bono as a guest singer.
If Bono decides to be in the studios from day 1, involved in the music, involved in the lyrics, there is going to have a great record, something risky and different.

Add to the The Edge/Larry/Adam trio a conservative producer (Lillywhite) and the result is good, clean but nothing special, nothing surprizing, nothing challenging,

If Bono (and Eno i hope) comes back in the studios, he will counterbalance the conservative trio and push U2 to a new direction again.

Am i correct t8thgr8 ? :wink:

I understand what you mean, but agree that maybe some aren't able to understand what you're saying.

But I don't think the lyrics are any 'worse' or 'b-sideish' per se.

But to me the lyrics are less mystical now, to be sure. I feel the songs are spelled out a bit better now with less room for mysticism and interpretation. To my understanding yes Bono USED to write on the mic and so the lyrics were less stories than ideas that formed a thought or a feeling. So Im not sure what you mean about him now writing the lyrics on the mic, if anything I think the lyrics are a bit OVERthought now. I bet he writes them in his creative morning time and then goes over them over and over again. Everything makes perfect sense and it all ties in nicely together.

Whereas in the 80s/90s there were some lyrics that just flowed out of his brain and stuck. And we all sat there going 'what the fuck! yeah man, cool! wicked imagery and metaphors' :)

In other words, Bono and co need to start smoking weed again while reading the Old Testament. Cmon what did you think those 80s-90s were all about people!

:up:

:lmao:

(runs....away..far away...)

I think they need full band input, and maybe a new producer.

or hell, Brian Eno + David Bowie, they're Berlin albums are insanely awesome.

Infuse those ideas with the possibility of Edge's New Orleans blues experiences and Bono's African visits, and we could have a very experimental, exciting, solid U2 album.

gabrielvox said:
In other words, Bono and co need to start smoking weed again while reading the Old Testament. Cmon what did you think those 80s-90s were all about people!
:up:

:lmao:

(runs....away..far away...)

Psychedelic U2 :rockon: :combust:

LemonMacPhisto said:

Infuse those ideas with the possibility of Edge's New Orleans blues experiences and Bono's African visits, and we could have a very experimental, exciting, solid U2 album.

:up: :yes: :up:

t8thgr8 said:

what debate? the one you dont understand? that one?

Well i thought i replied to your question but you didnt seem to get past the opening line.

:lol: Oh yeah, Bono's marlin and Edge's sunburn.:|

guill said:
In 1997 Bono explained that he used to spend too much time on the music itself (bass, drums, guitar, production) and not enough on the lyrics and that he would focus just on the lyrics in the future.
Then he became very busy because of his African activities and was always absent during the recording of ATYCLB and HTDAAB.
So the music in the last two albums is not Bono's music but The Edge/Larry/Adam's music + Bono as a guest singer.
If Bono decides to be in the studios from day 1, involved in the music, involved in the lyrics, there is going to have a great record, something risky and different.

Add to the The Edge/Larry/Adam trio a conservative producer (Lillywhite) and the result is good, clean but nothing special, nothing surprizing, nothing challenging,

If Bono (and Eno i hope) comes back in the studios, he will counterbalance the conservative trio and push U2 to a new direction again.

Am i correct t8thgr8 ? :wink:

Spot on!
Im not solely talking about lyrics, everyone. His ideas are whats M.I.A. lately, not just his lyrics.

Im also thinking that if U2 actually spend an extended amount of time together recording rather than 3 quarters of the pie, we'd have an amazing record on our hands. No matter what its about.

I guess, in short, that they havent been living up to their max potential.

Think about the making of unforgetabble fire. Remember when Bono was with the boys living in that castle. Remember how he would go back and forth with Eno about ideas for what would fit better? Maybe my memory's clouded but i recall something like this. They weren't nearly as skilled back then as they are today.

Imagine if they did something similar today with all involved staying put. That's what im getting at. Maybe Bono is just so good he hasnt had to be there as long to pay his dues.

But what if he was there from start to finish? :drool:

LemonMacPhisto said:

t8thgr8 said:
thatd be cool if it was inspired by the bluesy jazzy jammy new orleans music the edge has been around and the jamming bono has seen and named the new record Roots. im not expecting to hear all those synthetic noises that have been around u2 for a while. someone pointed out that they dont use delays and echos and other effects because of the improvement in musicianship as of late. well maybe we'll finally get to see how good they naturally can be.

And he's supposed to be in studio for this one.

It's a perfect set-up. They have a break in which Bono will get time to go do Africa stuff, then he'll be in studio with them for more time!

"In my dreams I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows they learned to swim."

"Need someone to blame?
Hey, throw a rock in the air
You're bound to hit someone guilty."

"The sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of it."

Something like these? Cross your fingers.

Back
Top Bottom