Even Better Than The Real Thing is underrated on interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If this song had came out in the last 6 or 7 years, it'd be considered a U2 classic around here. As it is now, surely underrated.

It's not one of their 20 best songs or anything but it is a great catchy rock song.

And it's the best U2 video ever, hands down.

Zootlesque said:
Holy shit!!! Bono giving George Harrison the finger!!! :lmao:

I'm sure today's Bono will not be able to do that!

Even more to the point .....am pretty sure George Harrison would hav more problems trying to offend Bono these days than Bono would giving him the bird!!:huh:

Zootlesque said:

Because you forgot George Harrison was dead. Duh:rolleyes:

:shifty:

Really, it's because you like Madonna, as do I, and apparently we've both successfully pissed off Kaf with that.:lol: Also, your thread about everything you like about HTDAAB frickin' rocks:rockon:

I have to say that I have always loved EBTTRT, from the moment I heard it on AB. I love the energy of it first off, and Edge's guitar sound is simply too cool. Slide guitar solo :drool: Gotta love it. Also, the video is one of the trippiest things I think I've ever seen. I'm like, "how'd they film that?"

Perfect memory: A young lady I was crazy about and I were visiting a buddy of mine in England back in 1993, and we had gone to Oxford and went to walk around the Oxford university campus for part of the day. At one point, we stopped to admire one of the buildings or a campus cathedral or something, and we were standing right next to one of the dormitories. As we were standing there yakking, I started hearing some music wafting through the air from one of the first floor dorm windows. I thought I recognized it and started listening. Sure enough, it was EBTTRT, and I just laughed and told my friends, "Yep, Bono and the boys follow me everywhere." Best part is I had my video camera with me, and it was turned on, so I got the whole moment on video. A great highlight from a great trip!

It is under discussed.

There are differences between the single and album versions of the tune.

And I've never seen them mentioned here.

I've always loved the Icarus reference.

Axver said:

"Good people of Yorkshire, you've made a terrible mistake! George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all just big fookin' hats and lemons and air! Well, I've one thing for you, George: pump it up!"

It seems the idol touched a raw nerve.

Don't know, if it's really underrated here - but surely U2 overplayed this tune during the 90ies.
It was performed on both, consecutive tours: 'ZOO TV' indoor and outdoor '92/'93 (best versions, raw + fast) & 'POPMart' '97/'98 (played a bit too slow) around the world on EVERY night, the band played a full set. Even on 'ELEVATION' 2001 U2 gave this tune an outing, but just as a rare gem.

Now we had one single tour, when this tune hadn't been performed - though it was in the inner circle of the tunes to be played. Be prepared to listen to this song again - it is a classic U2 single, plus it was a commercially successful "Greatest Hit".

I hear people talking about it being worse live. I think the album version is poor because Edge's guitar is drowned out during the verses. Live, it's up front, and it's damn good.

One of my all time fave's, absolutely thrilling, it has almost everything. Sixteen years on and I am still never tired of hearing this song, like The Fly. Great video too. It's ok live, but for me the album version is absolutely perfect. 10/10

U2girl said:

It seems the idol touched a raw nerve.
Nah he was just wrong. :wink:

I believe they should bring back EBTTRT on the next tour. Together with more 90's work, from POP, achtung, zooropa.

schnumi said:
Nah he was just wrong. :wink:

I believe they should bring back EBTTRT on the next tour. Together with more 90's work, from POP, achtung, zooropa.

yeah, EBTTRT with bono's "take me higher" falsettos along with Mofo, Acrobat, Miami, and others.... that would be:rockon: :combust: :love:

This was the first song I fell in love with when I bought AB. It was the easiest to listen to before I got into the others. Today, some days I love it and other days I just skip it.

In the context of the album it's a dark song, or has a dark undercurrent at least. The one night stand - it makes the song kind of exciting and kind of disposable, as the event is or can be, but how that relates to the rest of the themes of the album turns it kinda dark as well. It turns it from a first person story to a commentary, sort of. Sex as nothing more than instant, disposable gratification. Lust ruling over love, blah blah blah. But in the moment of the song, as if 'you' care, and the music reflects that perfectly. It's exciting, whatever he's selling, you're buying. Random casual sex! Fuck yes! Few tracks later and you're rethinking it though, you're on the other side of it.

phillyfan26 said:
I hear people talking about it being worse live. I think the album version is poor because Edge's guitar is drowned out during the verses. Live, it's up front, and it's damn good.
:shrug: i don't like the live version because i think bono's voice doesn't do the song justice or what have you. but musically, it's great live.

Back
Top Bottom