Eminem iPod Ad rip-off of U2 iPod ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bort269

War Child
well, looks like U2 started something... just saw an iPod ad with "Lose Yourself" and Eminem's shadow (but like the U2 ad, you can kinda recognize him) and the white earbuds, but this time his mic is all white and he drops it at the end... presumably because that is cool

Earnie Shavers said:
Umm, all iPod ads are like that. U2 didn't start it.

let me rephrase that...

all iPod ads have people dancing around and you only see their shadows except for the white headphones and iPods.

the U2 iPod ad was the first one where you can actually recognize the people because it's not a 100% shadow, you actually can see the face a bit... etc.

now the Eminem ad is the same, where you can clearly recognize him, instead of just a bunch of shadow-people dancing to an Eminem song.

I don't mean that U2 invented this or anything, just that it seems that any famous artist making an iPod ad now is going to "steal from the thieves"

The U2 ad was produced by Apple's guys, and presumably, so was the Eminem one, so it's really just the same people doing the same thing, and there's no "theft" or "ripping-off" involved at all.

bort, do you honestly expect anyone to cause mass UPROAR just because Apple made ANOTHER AD just like the one THEY MADE with celebrities being recognisable?!

What a load of rubbish, just because you can see the person's face, doesn't mean it's "Ripping Off" U2...:eyebrow:

bort269 said:
I don't mean that U2 invented this or anything, just that it seems that any famous artist making an iPod ad now is going to "steal from the thieves"

Like my boyfriend's mother, you're assuming that movie stars get to pick their wardrobes in movies. It just isn't true.

The Eminem iPod video was created by Apple for the iPod and iTunes, and to cross-promote his new Greatest Hits album. While it's feasible that Em was able to have creative input on the feel of the ad, there was no stealing involved here at all.

typhoon said:
The U2 ad was produced by Apple's guys, and presumably, so was the Eminem one, so it's really just the same people doing the same thing, and there's no "theft" or "ripping-off" involved at all.

actually mark romanek did the U2 iPod ad... but he used the original iPod ad's as inspiration... as was expected by the apple people.

http://www.markromanek.com/spots/vertigo.html#

HelloAngel said:
The Eminem iPod video was created by Apple for the iPod and iTunes, and to cross-promote his new Greatest Hits album.

{off-topic}

Eminem has a greatest hits album coming out? Keen!

{/off-topic}

nobody reads this

typhoon said:

but what if it was Coldplay? :hmm:

I thought it sucked and tried too hard. Rather than the one color backdrops, we've got all sorts of splatters and shit coming at us. It tried too hard to fit into the vein of rap.

I think it's funny that Eminem, at one point, straight up pushes this guy out of the camera's view and starts singing again.

Really boring, really cheesy, worst iPod ad yet.

pepokiss said:

but what if it was Coldplay? :hmm:

:drool:

bort269 said:
all iPod ads have people dancing around and you only see their shadows except for the white headphones and iPods.

the U2 iPod ad was the first one where you can actually recognize the people because it's not a 100% shadow, you actually can see the face a bit... etc.
my guess is because the U2 ipod commercial was the first one to feature celebrities instead of extras/dancers. seeing their faces won't mean a damn thing to you and won't make you buy the ipod, but i suppose knowing that silhouette singing vertigo is really bono will. i assume any and all future celebrity ipod commercials will be like this as long as the commercials are like this.

KhanadaRhodes said:

my guess is because the U2 ipod commercial was the first one to feature celebrities instead of extras/dancers. seeing their faces won't mean a damn thing to you and won't make you buy the ipod, but i suppose knowing that silhouette singing vertigo is really bono will. i assume any and all future celebrity ipod commercials will be like this as long as the commercials are like this.

Didn't Jet do an iPod commercial before U2 though, but it only aired in Australia or Europe or wherever?

david said:
Wow I hope Bono busts some caps in Eminem's ass!

:lmao:

Jet had an iPod commercial and it was in the States loads of times...but they were just sillhoutes, you couldn't see their faces at all. plus it was a shitty song.

I think the Eminem one is neat, but I want to see the ad for the new iPod...I mean I've watched it online but I want it to come on TV cuz I like Bono

KhanadaRhodes said:

i assume any and all future celebrity ipod commercials will be like this as long as the commercials are like this.

that is actually all that I meant.

I didn't mean to have this post sound like Adam, Bono, Edge & Larry invented this "newer" iPod ad or anything, but that ever since THEIR "celebrity iPod ad" everyone is going to copy THAT KIND of iPod ad in the future... (granted, instead of "copy", I said "rip-off", but that was just to get your attention ;)

yes Jet had an iPod ad before U2, but as AtomicBono mentioned it was different because you couldn't recognize the artists... prolly because their lead singer looks like a bird.

obviously U2's iPod ad "ripped off" any previous iPod ads, but it was different and new in that you could recognize the actual people...

I think KhanadaRhodes is right in saying that all famous artists in Ipod ads from now on will do the same... until Apple comes up with something new... like Jeff Goldblum doing a voice over or something

bort269 said:

let me rephrase that...

now the Eminem ad is the same, where you can clearly recognize him, instead of just a bunch of shadow-people dancing to an Eminem song.

Let's simplify this a little more. All those dancing people? Not famous. U2? Famous. Eminem? Famous.

Not famous=shadow dancer.
Famous=Recognition.

End of story.

i saw this commercial for the first time last night and the only similarities is that eminem's face isn't shaded out... everything else about the design of the ad is completely different.

this is actually the first iPod ad to feature buildings and multiple colors in the same frame... something that the u2 ad did not do.

this is about as silly as the constant coldplay ripped off u2 threads.

WHAT? EMNINET HAS AN IPOD? How shitty is that? I used to respect his songwriting skills before I knew U2, but... HIM?

No other band/artist deserves an IPPPPOD! Except for real legends like Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles! That's the league U2 is in!

Back
Top Bottom