Email campaign to lobby for Bono & the Nobel Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, this is the third year Bono has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, one of the most prestigious awards in the world.

I think it would be cool if we started an online e-mail campaign to lobby voters on Bono's behalf.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to implement this? Any advice?

do you really think they would give out a nobel prize to someone because of an online petition on their behalf?

Yeah. If people want the Nobel committee (or whatever you call them) to take Bono seriously, an online petition/email campaign is NOT the way to go.

Online petitions or email campaigns are for Ashlee Simpson to give up music, U2 to play a certain song in concert, or to bring back a cancelled television show.

timothius said:
I'm yet to see a decent case why Bono deserves it anyway? :shrug:
because it's BONO!!!!! he's the lead singer of U2 and anything anyone in U2 are ever up for they should always win!!

i hope i don't sound harsh, but i would lose a lot of respect for the nobel committee if they gave bono the peace prize because of a petition.

KhanadaRhodes said:

because it's BONO!!!!!

i would lose a lot of respect for the nobel committee if they gave bono the peace prize because of a petition.

Sorry I forgot that crucial piece of evidence. How foolish of me.

I would lose a lto of respect for the nobel comitee is they gave bono a peace prize. Full Stop.

I read where a group of people are getting a petition together to have Oprah nominated for the NB Prize. I thought that was tacky and besides, it doesn't work that way.

With that said, I think Bono does deserve it along with a great deal of other people. If not this time, eventually.

Edited to say: Signed your petition Queen Bee..:yes:
lmao at some of the comments...:lol:

Last edited:
nobody reads this

corianderstem said:
Online petitions or email campaigns are for Ashlee Simpson to give up music, U2 to play a certain song in concert, or to bring back a cancelled television show.

PSYCHO DAD!!! :rockon:

Just because Bono in is a rock band doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a Nobel Peace prize. One must look at all of the humanity work he has been conducting over the years. Not like he would be handed the award because of his singing. As for an e-mail petition yeah I don't think that's a good idea.

Yeah, but he's such a long-shot candidate that I don't think he'll win without some sort of outside "movement".

A petition would be cheezy, I agree. It would have to be lots of individual, heart-felt emails, sent directly to the voting committee members.

What would be cooler than having the lead singer of your favorite band also be a Nobel PEACE PRIZE WINNER?!!

C'mon people, where's your sense of history? :wink:

BonosBaby12 said:
Just because Bono in is a rock band doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a Nobel Peace prize. One must look at all of the humanity work he has been conducting over the years.

If you do look at his humanity work, while good & noble isn't exactly outstanding. I'm not knocking him, but its the way it is.

KhanadaRhodes said:

because it's BONO!!!!! he's the lead singer of U2 and anything anyone in U2 are ever up for they should always win!!

LOL

KhanadaRhodes said:

i hope i don't sound harsh, but i would lose a lot of respect for the nobel committee if they gave bono the peace prize because of a petition.

I would lose respect for them if they handed it to him even without a petition but :uhoh: I have already been through this somewhere on this board before.

Who would you guys pick? (I'm not saying that b/c I only want Bono to win, I'm just curious).

I think Bono being nominated three times in a row is a huge honor itself.

I dont think I'd be too happy with Bono getting the Nobel Peace prize. Alot of very deserving candidates have won it over the years; but there's also the small matter of Henry Kissinger. Perhaps the greatest war criminal the world has ever seen; winning the Nobel Prize for Peace? Sort of tarnishes it a little.

I just think it's amazing that Bono has not only been nominated, but been nominated three times in a row. I'm so proud of him. That's absolutely unprecedented for a rock star. If he wins someday that would be even more amazing, but if he doesn't it won't really bother me. In a way I'd rather someone get it who doesn't ordinarily get worldwide recognition the way Bono does.

LyricalDrug said:
A petition would be cheezy, I agree. It would have to be lots of individual, heart-felt emails, sent directly to the voting committee members.
what on earth would be the point? "vote for bono!!!" and i hate to break it to you, but i don't think you can even e-mail the voting committee members. can you imagine what that would be like if people knew who were on the committee for anything. i believe the most we know is that for each category of the nobel prize (peace, chemistry, economics, etc.) they choose experts in each field to vote on who wins. i don't think they'd appreciate receiving a bunch of e-mails from some crazed U2 fans (not my words per se, but moreso what they'd think if they received hundreds or thousands of e-mails from U2 fans, and this is all if we knew who was on the committee and if they made their e-mail addresses public.

To answer LivLuv's question - I'd prefer it to be somebody more involved hands-on in a grassroots movement. Bono does a lot of good, but he does it part-time and the rest of the time he gets to go sleep on his 700 thread count sheets in his $15 million condo or the Ritz Carlton while those people stay out there in the trenches of poverty and despair. I am not sure I could pick a single person, but there are a few women in India who have started really amazing grassroots movements and so on that I've been very impressed with. There's a wonderful guy in southern India who has started an organization in the memory of his wife and children who died in the Pan Am terrorist attack, providing free education, cataract surgery and so on and promoting something very opposite to the violent way his family perished. I guess I'd prefer somebody like that to Bono. :shrug:

I've said this every year he got nominated. Usually a couple of people come on and jump me for it later. Because Bono is that fabulous.

anitram said:
To answer LivLuv's question - I'd prefer it to be somebody more involved hands-on in a grassroots movement. Bono does a lot of good, but he does it part-time and the rest of the time he gets to go sleep on his 700 thread count sheets in his $15 million condo or the Ritz Carlton while those people stay out there in the trenches of poverty and despair. I am not sure I could pick a single person, but there are a few women in India who have started really amazing grassroots movements and so on that I've been very impressed with. There's a wonderful guy in southern India who has started an organization in the memory of his wife and children who died in the Pan Am terrorist attack, providing free education, cataract surgery and so on and promoting something very opposite to the violent way his family perished. I guess I'd prefer somebody like that to Bono. :shrug:
exactly. i agree with your entire post, but i bolded what i agree with. this is not his day job. he does this when U2 aren't on tour or recording. right now, it's just on the backburner, when he gets a second to glad-handle the bigwigs in d.c., etc. there are a lot more people nominated who are more deserving, if only for the fact that it's what they've dedicated their life to. it's not bono's fault at all. it's just that he's a rock star first, as it should be.

Anitrams you're post was awesome.

The only thing I can add is... I would be slightly dissapointed if Bono, whose efforts are part-time, were recognized on the same level as Nelson Mandela, whose efforts were life-time.

anitram said:

I've said this every year he got nominated. Usually a couple of people come on and jump me for it later. Because Bono is that fabulous.

:up:

This is a wonderful post. My thoughts exactly.

Back
Top Bottom