Elevation Tour or Zoo Tv Tour? If you had only one chance...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follower

Refugee
Today I spent the whole day at home and I listened to some of my bootlegs, from both tours, Elevation and Zoo TV. Maybe you remember that I didn?t go to any of the concerts on both tours, only to a Popmart concert. So I started thinking, if I had the opportunity, only once, to get into a time machine and going back to the time of Zoo TV or Elevation tour to see a concert which tour I would choose? Tough choice, isn?t it?

Well, I?m very attached to the songs from ATYCLB but even so I would say a Zoo TV concert. Why?
Because of the beauty of songs they didn?t play this time around, like Love is Blindness, Ultraviolet, Dirty Day, Running to Stand Still, Tryin to Trow Your Arms Around the World, Sattelite of Love and Can?t Help Fallin in Love. Also Lemon, Numb, Zoo Station and Even Better Than the Real Thing, so good to start dancing around. And last but not least, the unforgettable MacPhisto character and the whole concept of the Zoo TV.

Now it?s your turn. I know the majority here got to see at least one of the concerts, maybe from both eras. Even so, pretend you didn?t and try to make your choice, if that is possible for you. I would appreciate to know why you would choose one or another tour. Thanks
smile.gif

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

interesting question...i would wanna see zoo tv.
------------------
UH UH UH!

------------------
have a nice day! ;)
royal chat nutte for both interference and U2OL, as proclaimed by sir rafaroni (the mexico city treat) :D
U2: 62%
dd: 37%

-------
proof 2001 simon is bangable:
<Rox> I bang 2001 simon every morning
<J-Tree> you think he'd get tired from being hard all the time

john nude!

Zoo TV...

I just think about that intro, how it just blew everyone away. It destroyed the critics' view of what they thought U2 were capable of at the time. It was information overload...my jaw dropped to the ground the first time I saw it.

It was the first time U2 showed that dark, mischievous side that pervaded the Achtung Era. The Fly shades, the swagger, the guitar solos, the depth, the brutal honesty...just brilliant.

Elevation was more of a celebration and bonding experience between the band and the fans, but Zoo TV was a total extravaganza. It is a close race, but I have to give Zoo TV the edge because of how innovative it was and how it set a standard for live rock shows.

Great topic follower.

AJ

Good topic.
smile.gif

hard decision tho. One thing I loved about Elevation was the whole GA/heart thing and being able to be sooooo close to the band. But for the sheer spectacle of it all, I'd have to say ZOOTV. Not to mention all the songs you listed that were played during that tour that are no longer part of the live set. And it would have been cooool to see MacPhisto.
biggrin.gif

-sula

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

ZOO TV

The concept is more rounded, and the band push themselves to his limits, trying to find a musical place for them, Elevation is more like close to the vest. they came after similar circunstances, zoo tv after the backslash of Rattle and Hum, and Elevation after Pop one, well the result of similar situation, is a diferent aproach, and I enjoy the band more when they take risks, U2 at his best!

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

It's tough- I agree w/ everything Sula said.
Yeah, ZooTV would've been so cool...

------------------
"That's the first time we've played that song in...about 15 years." -Bono, after In God's Country - Phoenix 11/23

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real disney land , but it was getting pretty late.

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

OMG...tough decision. I only went to Elevation, but ZOOTV looks/sounds amazing. But Elevation would be it, since I actually experiences Bono from 5 feet away..

ZOO TV but only if they included "Bad" in the setlist. That was the highlight of every Elevation show I attended.

------------------
I hit an iceberg in my life
You know I'm still afloat
You lose your balance, lose your wife
In the queue for the lifeboat

"New York" U2

Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
I would choose to be in the heart at a ZooTV show!

Cheater!

Dammit, newbie, can't you read?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Definitely ZOO TV!!!!

(Especially Zoomerang so I could hear LEMON!!!!!!!)

Of course, I'd choose Lovetown over both just so I could hear piano-based Running, One Tree Hill, Unforgettable Fire, and most especially, Hawkmoon 269.

Anyone else see the DirectTV Lovetown footage? U2 was on FIRE that tour. It is simply sick how good Hawkmoon 269 is live, 1000x superior to the Rattle version.

ZOOTV

With better seats this time around.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

I think most of you are saying Zoo tv because you miss the tour or you just haven't seen it. Almost everybody here saw Elevation tour a couple of time or at least one time. You just saw it, this is why. The choice is easier than it should.

My choice is ELEVATION IN THE HEART.

Elevation, hands down. If you watch the videos... look how close the fans are at Elevation compared to any other tour. They did this for us!! How could you want anything else?
biggrin.gif

I saw ZooTV, Popmart, and Elevation, btw.

--
Like a song I have to sing
I sing it for you

I would have loved to see ZooTV...

sensoryoverload

Everything you know is wrong
MUST WE LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN????
baby
job
lies
car
the future is a fantasy
wife
victim
rape
food
sexy
war
the media is the antichrist
bloody kids
trash
mom
SAREJEVO
BOMBAY
GRAND RAPIDS....?
frenzy
fish
colour
everyone is a racist except you
BOMB
whore
ultimately
JAPAN
chaos
I want everything
death is inevitable
I want it now
gun
school
I want to charge it
debt
doubt
mock it or milk it
Reactor
Die
hype
hope
wear a fake condom
nervous
peace
suicide
JAPAN
damage
heaven
we are all part of the mailaise
candy
napalm
flower
hospital
panic is attitude
enjoy the surface
superficiality is god
avoid conflict
ignorance is bliss
cry more often
NOW
make friends
consume later
do not accept what you cannot change
change what you cannot accept
it's the real thing
UNIX is my GOD
Sarah Klop
Gideon Glass
Sanjay Bhatia
believe everything
watch more TV
deines mondo tu puio cambiarlo e' il tuo
inevitable
I want it now
death is inevitable
gun
school
I want to change it
pussy
debt
indulge
ignore
why
lust
love
urge
I love you
survive
soul
war
memory
attack
shatter
illusion
baby
fear
boom
stop
black
dark
hello
red
green
black
beach
instant
death
who cares
why speed
why love
hypocracy
garbage
taste is the enemy of art
try more often
let me hear you say yeah
walk
pizza
security
cop
violence
god
junk
spit
brain
curse
bark
sugar
free
born
high
head
greed is good
feed
seed
freed
breed
war
ambition bites the nails of success
remember what you dream
wake up
love
stop
die
TV
ich liebe dich
TV
stop
beLIEve
we are not immune
riot
crash
zero
religion is a club
select
your
weakness
contredire c'est retablir l'equibibre
contradiction is balance
drug
rush
susie
monica
greg

------------------
Change is the only constant

I will not choose...

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

ELEVATION bay-bee!! This tour relied almost *completely* on the chemistry between the band and the audience. That in itself makes for a totally religious and cathartic experience!!

...and becuase Edge just looks adorable nowadays!
biggrin.gif

went to both and would have to say Elevation

better playing band + more good songs to choose from
smile.gif

ZOOTV was censory overload, you didn't get what was going on until you could see the damn thing at home on VCR

Elevation was a better concert experience for me

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I would want to see ZooTV, simply because I missed out on the first 20 years of U2, and while it's never safe to say "never again", I don't think they'll put up such a visual-heavy show again. And I'm still hoping for the Elevation tour (or its "mutated" form) here in Australia (fingers crossed). Oh hell with ZooTV, I'd like to see U2 on EVERY one of their past tours,
smile.gif

Elevation....it was a truly religious experience that I haven't experienced before regardless of how close to the band you were.

------------------
One love, one life...
Give peace a chance!
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Bono: I don't walk, I swagger! I sashayed once, but just once. It wasn't for me.

I'm gonna buck the trend here...

I saw both and I would say Elevation. I think ZooTV was an awesome show, but it was the beginning of a period where I felt U2 putting a bit of a "wall" between them and their audience (just big, technological, lots of showmanship, etc.). And I really enjoyed them coming back to the crowd this show, and feeling more a part of things like I did in the early days.

But they were both GREAT shows.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

All I know is, I recently walked out of two different Elevation shows feeling emotionally higher than I did after any previous U2 shows I've seen, which would include shows on the PopMart, ZooTV and Joshua Tree tours.

To answer the question initially posed here, let's suppose we distance ourselves from the Elevation tour and pretend that it occured in 1994 instead of 2001. Right now, I'd pick Elevation over ZooTV.

Back
Top Bottom