Elevation Boston V.S. Elevation Slane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
Coz of the sucess :wink: of the last VS threads , Now One more , and let's take it to the next level , let's go with the 2 u2 first live dvds , look at the Contest Elevation X Elevation , B Day x B Day :drool:

You may begin the firing ....

Last edited:
Boston due to The Fly and Gone.

Slane is very, very over-rated.

I own neither. :ohmy:

From the YouTube clips I've seen, they're similar, it's not a very good tour at all.

I never liked Elevation Fly because they changed the guitar. That sound just never matched either of the ZooTV or Vertigo versions.

phillyfan26 said:

From the YouTube clips I've seen, they're similar, it's not a very good tour at all.

I wouldn't say that. It was the perfect kind of tour for them at the time.

Highlights of the Elevation Tour:

Introduction of the Heart/GA
Amazing version of the Fly
Return of full band SBS
Return of good verision of IWF
Return of Out of Control
Fantastic version of Bullet
Fantastic versions of Gone/Discotheque
Amazing Streets transition/run around the heart
Acoustic Please
Walk On as a closer

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

Yes! I generally dislike the Elevation Tour a lot.

phillyfan26 said:
I own neither. :ohmy:

I never liked Elevation Fly because they changed the guitar. That sound just never matched either of the ZooTV or Vertigo versions.

Something's really wrong when we're judging an entire tour by some Youtube clips. Wow.

Chizip said:

I wouldn't say that. It was the perfect kind of tour for them at the time.

I like the idea of something with less effects and a little more intimacy, but I'm saying the setlists and performances were subpar. Bono's voice was shot, which would have marred any tour at the time, and the setlists were boring. If you trade away the effects you've got to come up with something special to replace them, and I think the tour fell short.

No spoken words said:

Something's really wrong when we're judging an entire tour by some Youtube clips. Wow.

I phrased it wrong. I've heard bootlegs and such. I'm saying the YouTube clips I've seen of the two DVDs only are similar to the bootlegs and the rest of the tour I've seen and heard, in that it's not a very good tour. I never saw it live, sure, so I've definitely missed an element. But I've never seen U2 live at all, so all my opinions are based on bootlegs and DVDs.

But I have heard and seen more than YouTube clips. That's just what I saw of the official releases. Sorry about my wording, that's my fault.

phillyfan26 said:

I like the idea of something with less effects and a little more intimacy, but I'm saying the setlists and performances were subpar. Bono's voice was shot, which would have marred any tour at the time, and the setlists were boring. If you trade away the effects you've got to come up with something special to replace them, and I think the tour fell short.

Well I gotta disagree there, Bono's voice was bad for a few shows, but for the majority it was much better than during popmart. There were lots of great performances.

Chizip said:
Highlights of the Elevation Tour:

Introduction of the Heart/GA
Amazing version of the Fly
Return of full band SBS
Return of good verision of IWF
Return of Out of Control
Fantastic version of Bullet
Fantastic versions of Gone/Discotheque
Amazing Streets transition/run around the heart
Acoustic Please
Walk On as a closer

1. The heart/GA was good. Has nothing to do with the actual music though.
2. Agreed, but its disappearance just increased the third leg's suckiness.
3. Worst SBS ever. The song became a dull dawdle through the park.
4. I think you are the first person I've seen post praise of Elevation's IWF. I despise it. And I don't see why the hell Bono was holding a guitar.
5. OOC coming back was good. Shame it didn't sound as good as it should've until Vertigo. Bono's speech ruins the Slane version.
6. Agreed.
7. Gone was good; Discotheque was easily its weakest version ever.
8. Woopdeedoo?
9. Acoustic Please should be fired into the sun.
10. That was good.

phillyfan26 said:

I phrased it wrong. I've heard bootlegs and such. I'm saying the YouTube clips I've seen of the two DVDs only are similar to the bootlegs and the rest of the tour I've seen and heard, in that it's not a very good tour. I never saw it live, sure, so I've definitely missed an element. But I've never seen U2 live at all, so all my opinions are based on bootlegs and DVDs.

But I have heard and seen more than YouTube clips. That's just what I saw of the official releases. Sorry about my wording, that's my fault.

I'm punchy today, still at work, normally I don't make confrontational posts. :)

I agree, this was not the band at their best, but as Chip said, it was right for them at the time and this tour served its purpose. I will say, though, that being there definitely adds, as you say, a missing element, that you cannot detect via bootleg of even DVD. I attended a lot of shows on this tour and some of them stood out, some less so.

Chizip said:

Well I gotta disagree there, Bono's voice was bad for a few shows, but for the majority it was much better than during popmart. There were lots of great performances.

And Bono's voice ruined a lot of Popmart too. Although I think they were similar for a majority too. Bono's voice seemed to work a little better with the Popmart material. I favor Popmart over Elevation from the bootlegs.

Popmart Santiago beats anything from Elevation I've heard.

Axver said:

1. The heart/GA was good. Has nothing to do with the actual music though.
2. Agreed, but its disappearance just increased the third leg's suckiness.
3. Worst SBS ever. The song became a dull dawdle through the park.
4. I think you are the first person I've seen post praise of Elevation's IWF. I despise it. And I don't see why the hell Bono was holding a guitar.
5. OOC coming back was good. Shame it didn't sound as good as it should've until Vertigo. Bono's speech ruins the Slane version.
6. Agreed.
7. Gone was good; Discotheque was easily its weakest version ever.
8. Woopdeedoo?
9. Acoustic Please should be fired into the sun.
10. That was good.

1. The production sets up the whole concert. After 2 giants/over the top tours, the heart and GA was a great change of pace to bring people closer to the band and make it a more special experience.
2. I agree the disappearance was a crime.
3. Disagree. After 2 tours without a full band SBS, it was fresh and new again. Vertigo Tour version is the worst, its back to being dull and his talking in the middle of it kills all the momentum.
4. After Popmart's abbreviated version of IWF, and ZooTV not playing it much, this was fresh again as well.
5. Agree
6. Agree
7. It was nice they didn't ignore Pop
8. Streets has the capability to be THE highlight of any U2 show. A lot of the times it was during the Elevation Tour. It really took the crowd to another level. The Vertigo version pales in comparison.
9. I liked it, it was a big surprise. Though full band Please is much better.
10. Agree

And I can't believe I forgot about Until the End of the World. That was really a badass performance as well.

Last edited:
Chizip said:

8. Streets has the capability to be THE highlight of any U2 show. A lot of the times it was during the Elevation Tour. It really took the crowd to another level. The Vertigo version pales in comparison.

And I can't believe I forgot about Until the End of the World. That was really a badass performance as well.

Amen to both of these points. Sometimes, Axver, you just have to be there....

I enjoyed the Vertigo tour more than Elevation, but the Elevation version of Streets, the whole presentation/performance, easily trumps the Vertigo version. In my opinion, of course.

UTEOTW was really potent on this tour, but, to me, it's been amazing on every tour.

Also, just the shock of the Fly coming back, a little harder and faster than the Zoo versions was a tour highlight for me.

I go back and forth over which tour I liked better. I thought HTDAAB had better live songs than ATYCLB, and the Vertigo Tour had longer and more varied setlists with a lot of great performances, but the Vertigo Tour also had a long stretch that just bored me.

The whole War trio through Miss Sarajevo and Pride/Streets/One was just brutal sometimes. With speeches during SBS, before Miss Sarajevo, during Pride/before Streets, the huge speech before One, and the sleepy, dragged on ending of Bullet, it was like come ooooooooon, can we please get to the encores already? There was seriously a good 20 minutes worth of Bono yapping in that stretch.

That's the only time I've been bored at a U2 concert.

tpsreports2424 said:
Bono's voice was weaker in Slane...

phillyfan26 said:

And Bono's voice ruined a lot of Popmart too.

I dunno. I wouldn't judge a whole tour just on his voice. There are so many times that the strain in his voice just perfects the performance, both album-wise and live. On the albums, the scratchiness makes IALW as much as it makes Please for me--both awesome songs buoyed by the vocal take.

Live, the "poor" voice can make a show. Listen to PopMart Sarajevo. You can actually hear Bono's voice snap in AIWIY--it's breathtaking. Listen to the 2001-08-21 Earl's Court performance, the show just a few hours after Bob Hewson died. Bono's voice is "poor" in that show, but the hurt, the grief is palpable in that voice.

The quality of Bono's voice on the Elevation Tour is memorable, monumental--it classifies the tour, in a way. On PopMart, his voice was shot because that's just how it was at the time. But it was kind of okay because that's how we'd heard the songs on the album. But on Elevation....at the time, it was such an improvement from the struggles on PopMart that it was impressive. More significant, though, is that on Elevation it was shot for a reason----the immense amount of emotion weighing in on the tour. It was U2's "return to the heart" tour. It was the time that Bob died. Listen to/watch a boot of 2001-08-21. Watch Slane. There was so much going on. It's palpable at those shows. The quality of Bono's voice on the Elevation Tour is one of the things that makes that tour for me.

It was definitely their most emotional tour, imo. And it's just something you had to be there to experience fully. The DVD's didn't really do it justice.

Boston, just because of the sit down protest. Spoiled brat U2 fans at their best! :laugh: :wink: Great that its captured on film forever.

Seriously though, I like the atmosphere at Slane better, but I think the Boston setlist is better.

I'm wondering to those of you trashing Elevation, did you attend a show in person or are you basing that on bootlegs and video only? Because its not the same thing IMO. I dont think Elevation was their best tour, but it was a good one. I liked Vertigo better but I actually liked Elevation more than Zoo TV. :shrug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom