"Elevation 2001: U2 Live From Boston" Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
I've been watching this DVD a lot and I'm REALLY loving it.

There's just a WHOLE lot of energy in this show(the band just seems really really into it, especially Bono), the performances are stellar, and the setlist spans their entire career....from I Will Follow and Sunday Bloody Sunday to Bad, Streets, With Or Without You, Bullet The Blue Sky, and Desire, to Until The End Of The World, The Fly, Stay(Faraway, So Close), Gone, and Wake Up Dead Man, to Elevation, Beautiful Day, Stuck In A Moment, Walk On, Kite, In A Little While, and New York, it's the works, 1980-2001.

Another thing that struck me while watching this DVD(and also the Slane DVD) was the difference in how the the Africa/ONE CAMPAGIN talk was done on that tour - where it was just one speech before 'One' or towards the end of the show - compared to the way it was done on the Vertigo Tour, where it dominated every show, with the flags thing, with Bono preaching about it for three, four, sometimes five songs in a row at every show. I get that it's an incredibly important cause, and I happen to admire him for what he's doing, but I'm not paying to see a sermon, I'm paying to see a U2 show. It's a great cause, and that the word needs to be spread about it is almost undebateable, but I just feel like there was a better balance to it on the Elevation Tour.

Anyway, the DVD. It's a really great document(as is the Slane DVD) of a great tour.

I agree with you craigp, the Boston elevation DVD is much better than the one from Slane Castle.
Great version of "in a lillte while" apart from Bono's "american" accent, ""shirley" you'll be mine....."
It also has the best ever version of the best ever song IMO, The Fly!!!!!
Slane seems dull to me, not a great set-list and not a great show IMO

I prefer this DVD to Slane and I especially appreciate the performances of Gone and The Fly.

I consider it largely forgettable otherwise, though. I'm not an Elevation Tour fan.

Slane has more energy in my eyes but Boston has the better setlist.

And yes i also enjoy that they dont talk about africa etc that much.

Axver said:
I prefer this DVD to Slane and I especially appreciate the performances of Gone and The Fly.

I consider it largely forgettable otherwise, though. I'm not an Elevation Tour fan.

What's your favourite tour then?
Would I be right in thinking you're a Lovetown man?

Slane Kills Boston. It was right after his father died....the band was on fire and Bono's voice sounded great. Even when they fucked up like during "angel of harlem" it was so great....

boston had some great moments but overall it doesnt come close to Slane. Look at the crowds....

my brother told me he likes WOWY better on Boston. Ya, he picks up the girl and lies with her and that's cute, but his vocal performance was dreadful during the song. He just got over a cold, whichi is why. WOWY on Slane is incredible.

Just a better show and a lot more emotion for me :drool:

But ya, The Fly is great elevation style and it's probably my favorite performance of GONE all-time because of Edge's solo at the end

Also, Bono's BTBS rant is classic.

Considering all the live videos , I say boston is good but that's it .......

I'm not a elevation t fan , Hell if u compare it with Vertigo , elevation looks like a joke , like a tour made for US give the old respect to u2 , that's all .....

Besides the fact is the most cut dvd .........

When all the classic videos are on dvd , Sydney , Mexico , Red Rocks , I don't if many will remember Boston

But in the good / highlights parts :

Amazing versions of B Day , Stuck , In a little while , Streets , Walk On

Last edited:
i think boston rocks better than slane, fav songs from boston

Elevation
Beautiful Day
UTEOTW
KITE<<<KICK ASS VERSION!
SIAMYCGOO
I Will follow
Bad/40
Streets
WOWY
THE FLY<<<BEST VERSION EVER

and where is "one" on Boston?i dont see it!

The thing i have against Slane is, i think the drum sound is poor, very weak, no power in it at all, it only sounds good on:-
Out Of Control
All I Want Is You
Pride
WOWY

And I Like Mysterious ways but thats not from Slane either,
Boston has a better setlist and sounds much better!

The Disciple said:
There is no "One Campaign/Africa Speech" before One on the Boston DVD, if memory serves me right.

:hmm: There is, in fact, no "One" on Boston DVD.

Boston rocks!! My favorite part is when Bono is singing the first verse of The Fly completely transfixed on somebody in the crowd. They then show the kid in the crowd looking up at Bono looking almost drugged in disbelief. Then a quick shot of The Edge watching the whole thing with a smirk on his face. Not sure if anyone caught that.

BTBS rant is just amazing. My favorite version yet.

Bad>40>Streets is from heaven.

I like Walk On much more in Boston too.

But where I get chills everytime is from the camera angle when they are going into Streets. Bono maintaining his arm up while yelling with the lights going wild behind him as the camera moves in closer and closer:drool:

The Fly, Streets, and a great performance of I Will Follow aside, the band is kind of jittery.

Slane's performances of Streets, Stuck, and Kite make it the superior concert by far.

Also, although Edge does an amazing job on The Fly, his guitar sound is so neutered in the DVD mix it negates the awesomeness of it.

Canadiens1160 said:
The Fly, Streets, and a great performance of I Will Follow aside, the band is kind of jittery.

Slane's performances of Streets, Stuck, and Kite make it the superior concert by far.

Also, although Edge does an amazing job on The Fly, his guitar sound is so neutered in the DVD mix it negates the awesomeness of it.

I agree about The Fly. It sounded poor. ZooTV's The Fly guitar was maybe the best guitar he's played, and they messed with it on these last two tours, which was a big disappointment to me.

phillyfan26 said:

I agree about The Fly. It sounded poor. ZooTV's The Fly guitar was maybe the best guitar he's played, and they messed with it on these last two tours, which was a big disappointment to me.
Well not even the arrangement really. It's an interesting take to shift the song up a bit and gives it a less sinister sound, makes it more melodic, and gives them a chance for a cooler intro.

The thing I was more annoyed at is that you get Bono's vocal woosh and as the rest of the band plunges into Helter Skelterish mode, Edge's guitar is this thing humming in the background, mixed right below the arena air conditioners in terms of volume.

Last edited:
Stop it! All of you! You're all making me want to watch Boston right now, and I can't, because I don't have time :scream:

I mean, I'd take ZooTV and PopMart over Elevation any day, but I love the Boston DVD. The performances are so intense. Slane has it's great moments too, but they're not the same sort of great moments.

My personal Boston highlights:

SIAMYCGOO-Kite-Gone brings me close to tears. It especially gets bad during Kite, but Gone is just so emotional, particularly the solo and Bono's changed outtro that I nearly lose it.

Bad-40-Streets is another great trio. Bad is always the sort of song that makes your heart explode, but this is a fantastic performance. Particularly the outtro, with Bono reaching into the crowd, and that pink rose in the foreground. And then you get into that brief "40" snippet, with the entire crowd singing along. Then Bono's little prayer, and the BEST PERFORMANCE OF STREETS EVER. I love the way Bono runs around the heart at the beginning, and he's grinning like a little kid. It's beautiful.

Bullet the Blue Sky is brilliantly intense. From Bono stepping out looking mean, with his jacket held open, all the way through his Mark Chapman rant with the flashlight.

The Fly is of course, awesome. I love, love, love the intro, and the way Bono goes totally primal, and bites some girl's wrist. I about fell off of my chair the first time I saw that.

In short, Boston = :drool::combust::faint::love::hyper: etc.

I just wish I was that girl he kissed at the end of WOWY. She remained pretty calm. I on the other hand would have to be carried off on a stretcher and given oxygen. :huh:

Wanna a reason to hate boston dvd ? The footage during Edge's solo on Bullet .....

I wanna see any girl bono lover , hamilton liker , or lovers of the dvd defending that ........ Edge is delivering his biggest solo (true it didn't sound as good as on other tours ) and the bloody sucker camera is focusing on Bono's fuckin boots ? :huh: :huh: :mad: :|

An Cat Gav said:

What's your favourite tour then?
Would I be right in thinking you're a Lovetown man?

Correct! Lovetown's my favourite, with the rest of my top five rounded out by other eighties tours and the Vertigo Tour. Elevation rates pretty near the bottom for me. Besides a select few songs, I don't enjoy most of either the Boston or Slane DVDs.

Though, because this is an appreciation thread, another reason I prefer Boston is the Bad/40 segue into Streets, which I think is superior to the AIWIY segue on Slane. It's just a shame Bono's vocals let the whole thing down.

I think the Boston DVD is pretty amazing and underrated. For me the elevation tour had the most emotional feel to it and I think that comes through on this dvd. Also there are a lot of surprisingly strong performances. In particular I think that this has one of the best streets ever, elevation, siam, kite, ialw, wowy, a great version of new york and of course the fly. A lot of the visuals are stunning like in wowy, and BTBS has that great intensity. even though I like the vertigo tour better overall, i still love coming back and watching this dvd when i haven't seen it for a while.

The version of Bullet the Blue Sky on Boston makes the entire DVD worth having....rock and roll nigga!

Yahweh said:
The version of Bullet the Blue Sky on Boston makes the entire DVD worth having....rock and roll nigga!

Sure if it was a cd , but watching that ........... The band plays and the camera is on Bono :

covering his eyes
showing his hand
showing his boot
his walking

:|

Thank God we are getting a decent sounding and shot of Sky in the zoo dvd ........ all those sounds ..... And Man , Edge's solo , and the footage of it ........

What a teaching for Mr Hamish ...... I'm absolutely sure , when he watches it and remembers his footage , it's gonna be 'discomfortable ' for him :wink:

craigp said:
i prefer bostons setlist but slane had a much better atmospehere

My thoughts exacerry!

I bought this the other day, and damn its good. But what I like best --

THE FLY

The best version ever, even over the album version's.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
Bad-40-Streets is another great trio. Bad is always the sort of song that makes your heart explode, but this is a fantastic performance. Particularly the outtro, with Bono reaching into the crowd, and that pink rose in the foreground. And then you get into that brief "40" snippet, with the entire crowd singing along. Then Bono's little prayer, and the BEST PERFORMANCE OF STREETS EVER. I love the way Bono runs around the heart at the beginning, and he's grinning like a little kid. It's beautiful.......

Best part of the show for me. The way in which these 3 songs were sung created a mood that you could practically feel - literally (hard to describe).

Loved Elevation's version of the Fly. ZooTV's is equally as good, but in a different, artsy way. Elevation's performance was just better.

dont like Bono's mood on Slane...he seems like too much at home, kind of his backyard....i dont know...especially on Angel of Harlem
I like Boston more

Axver said:

Correct! Lovetown's my favourite, with the rest of my top five rounded out by other eighties tours and the Vertigo Tour. Elevation rates pretty near the bottom for me. Besides a select few songs, I don't enjoy most of either the Boston or Slane DVDs.

Though, because this is an appreciation thread, another reason I prefer Boston is the Bad/40 segue into Streets, which I think is superior to the AIWIY segue on Slane. It's just a shame Bono's vocals let the whole thing down.

I love Bad/40, but All I Want is You -> Streets gives me chills every time.

Back
Top Bottom