Elevation 2001: songs catalogue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NShaik

The Fly
I Will Follow - played at roughly 2/3 of the gigs, spanning all the way through the tour.
Out of Control - introduced halfway through the 1st leg, and from then on, played whenever I Will Follow wasn't
Electric Co. - played once?????
11 O'clock Tick Tock - played once in teh 1st leg????
Party Girl - played occasionally
Sunday Bloody Sunday - played at every single concert
New Year's Day - played at roughly 3/4 of the concerts
"40" - played occasionally as conjunction between Bad + WTSHNN, and once as an ad. lib. at the end of Walk On, on the last night of the tour.
A Sort of Homecoming - played once at Slane, and once during the 3rd leg by a fan pulled from the audiance.
Pride - Played often as either a song to close the main set, or as an encore.
The Unforgettable Fire - played on the PA after both Slane gigs.
Bad - Player very often
Where the Streets Have no Name - Played at every single concert.
I Still Haven't Found what I'm looking for - played as closer for the main set during the 3rd leg.
With or Without you - played as encore at every gig until it was dropped for the third leg.
Bullet the Blue Sky - played as encore at every single gig except for one.
Running to Stand Still - played a couple of times as an ad. lib. of Desire.
In God's Country - played a couple of times acoustic (with harmonica solo)
Desire - played often
Hawkmoon 269 - played once as introduction to Desire
Angel of Harlem - played occasionally until 3rd leg when it became a staple.
All I Want is you - played at gigs when Bad wasn't played
Even Better Than the Real thing - played occasionally on the 1st leg.
One - Played every night as an encore.
Until the End of the World - played at every concert except one
Whose Gonna ride your wild Horses - played occasionally as an ad lib. of Bad
Mysterious Ways - played frequently
The Fly - revamped for the new tour, played often during the 1st 2 legs, either as an encore or as a closer for the main set.
Stay - played acoustic often
Discotheque - played often during the begginning of the first leg, and occasionally during the 2nd leg.
Staring at the Sun - played with Discotheque and as an acoustic at Slane 2, then as a staple during the 3rd leg
Gone - played sometimes, more often during the earlier gigs.
Please - played during the 3rd leg, once as a full band, then either with just Bono + Edge or Bono, Edge + pianist.
Wake up Dead Man - played fairly often
The Sweetest Thing - played often at the begginning of the tour then dropped
The Ground Beneath her Feet - played occasionlly as acoustic song
Beautiful Day - played at every single gig, once as the concert opener during the first gig of the 3rd leg.
Stuck in a Moment - played at every single gig
Elevation - played at every gig as the concert opener except for one time when it was played as an encore.
Walk On - played as closer every gig except one due to technical difficulties, always as a close except one time in Italy when it was followed by Wake up Dead Man and Out of Control
Kite - played at every singe gig
In a Little While - played often during the 1st leg + the 2nd leg
Wild Honey - played occasionally as acoustic song.
Peace on Earth - played often during the 3rd leg to introduce Walk On (as done at the tribute to heroes concert)
When I Look at the World - played occasionally as an ad lib. of Bad
New York - played at almost every concert, during the 3rd leg as an encore
Grace - played over the PA after every gig except the Slane Gigs.
Mistery Girl - played occasionally as encore
People Get Ready - played occasionally with fan
Knockin' on Heaven's door - played occasionally with fan.

Any mistakes? please tell me!

Last edited:
NShaik said:
Electric Co. - played once?????

This song wasn't played on the Elevation tour

11 O'clock Tick Tock - played once in teh 1st leg????

They also played this occasionaly on the tour (so more than once)

"40" - played occasionally as conjunction between Bad + WTSHNN, and once as an ad. lib. at the end of Walk On, on the last night of the tour.

But they didn't play a full version this tour

The Unforgettable Fire - played on the PA after both Slane gigs.

But U2 didn't play the song live this tour

Running to Stand Still - played a couple of times as an ad. lib. of Desire.

I think they only played it as a snippet once (Cologne, 12 July, I was there!), but they apparently did play a full version in Zurich (IIRC, 22 July)

Hawkmoon 269 - played once as introduction to Desire

But they never did play a full version (the snippet was only 2 verses and no chorus, again, this was in Cologne, 12 July, a great medley and a great concert)

One - Played every night as an encore.

One wasn't an encore in Chicago, 16 May. They played it in the main set (as they opened with a ZooTV styled setlist)

Staring at the Sun - played with Discotheque and as an acoustic at Slane 2, then as a staple during the 3rd leg

They also played this song as a stand alone before the 3rd leg (first in Charlotte, 29 March)

Walk On - played as closer every gig except one due to technical difficulties, always as a close except one time in Italy when it was followed by Wake up Dead Man and Out of Control

Walk On also wasn't a closer in Arnhem, 1 August. After the band had made one last walk on the catwalk, they picked up there instruments again to play Out Of Control (a wonderfull surprise)

Kite - played at every singe gig

Kite was not played the first few gigs. It was premiered in San Diego, 20 April

Peace on Earth - played often during the 3rd leg to introduce Walk On (as done at the tribute to heroes concert)

On all occasions except one (AFAIK) this was only a small snippet, not a full version. IIRC, they did play a full version though in Dallas, 5 November

When I Look at the World - played occasionally as an ad lib. of Bad

Again, this was only a small snippet, not a full version

Grace - played over the PA after every gig except the Slane Gigs.

But U2 didn't play the song live this tour. Also, during some European gigs (Arnhem, Antwerp, ?) the first song on the PA after the concert was Herman Brood with My Way.

Mistery Girl - played occasionally as encore

Unfortunately, they never played a full version of it this tour. At the second Antwerp concert (6 August) they did play a small snippet of it at the end of One. I think it was the only time they did this though.

Also, you did not list all the 51 (full) songs they played during the Elevation tour. In my next post I'll list all the songs I counted (I found my list again! But now I forgot in which recent thread I had to use it again... Oh well...)

C ya!

Marty

P.S. As wertsie said, http://www.u2tours.com indeed is a terrific reference, also for comments on and reviews of the shows.

Re: Re: Elevation 2001: songs catalogue

Popmartijn said:

They also played this occasionaly on the tour (so more than once)

C ya!

Marty

P.S. As wertsie said, http://www.u2tours.com indeed is a terrific reference, also for comments on and reviews of the shows.

I know! I was disappointed that they didn't play 11 O'Clock Tick Tock in Detroit because I LOVE that song! Oh, well...Next time around, perhaps.

Hello,

%@#%^#$ :mad: :angry:

I'd just typed in a reply + some of my criteria for including some songs in my Elevation song list and not including other songs (basically, I decided). When I pushed Submit, the computer started doing strange things. Luckily, I'd saved my Elevation song list (for later reference) on my computer before submitting it. So here it is again.

C ya!

Marty

Out Of Control
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
I Will Follow
Party Girl
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day
A Sort Of Homecoming
Pride
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name