Electrical Storm - what a dark beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

julesz

Babyface
I think i'm only just beginning to really appreciate this song, i love the whole hushed, loud and wired tempo. I've just been sitting out on the verrandah after a lot of rain and a storm brewing and it just felt SO GOOD playing that song. I just love the way an electrical storm seems to be used to to convey atmosphere, tension, dynamics yet still maybe possibilities in a relationship e.g - let's see colours that have never been seen
let's go to places no one else has been. - alongside the desperate -
You're in my mind all of the time
I know that's not enough
if the sky can crack
there must be some way back
to love and only love

Electrical Storm
Electrical Storm
Electrical Storm
Baby don't cry
I'd love to know other peoples views and takes on this song, good, bad or indifferent. I wonder if the band like it enough to play it live or maybe not as the case may be.

It's in my top ten at least. The original version works better for me though, because the odd guitar at the end is more prominent and it feels more "electric" to me. I do however like the quavering synthesizer (is that what it is?) in the opening of the Orbit mix.

I think this is one of the bands best singles in recent years, I enjoy it much more than Vertigo, COBL, ABOY and The Saints Are Coming. I prefer the band mix over the Orbit one, it seems more gusty and immediate, the chorus arrives sooner and I just think its better paced although the Orbit mix has more atmosphere. This also features a great Bono vocal, he sounds so clear and vital on it, like a younger man, the high notes pose no problems for him. My favourite lyric is 'If the sky can crack there must be someway back' I really like the determination of it and how certain he sounds, like there's no doubt in his mind. The lyrics have quite a breezy, carefree feel to them and on the whole I like them apart from the 'The air is heavy, heavy as a truck', most fans think it should have been 'heavy as a drug' and I agree with them.

Oh and the video's not bad either.

Music's not bad, but the verses don't have 1/4 the power of the bridge "In my mind...", and the "Electrical storm" chorus is anticlimactic after the bridge.

Lyrics are AWFUL, and I'm glad they didn't save it for The Bomb.

Best thing I can say is that it isn't boring like The Hands that Built America.

I think Electrical Storm is one of the underrated U2 songs, songs that you only really discover when you intentially go looking for U2 songs, If you asked non U2 fans they will probably have heard vertigo, OOTS, and Beautiful day but Electrical storm is one of the gems waiting to be discovered I think, I love the song personally.

mysterious_jen said:
most amazing u2 video clip i have seen.

i like the song too, although i know it cops a bit of flack around the place.

The flak is a bit unfair. Ok, the reindeer bit is a bit silly but at least it's different. This is another video which is ruined by pointless clips of the band playing live!

The air is heavy, heavy as a truck :drool:

I love this bit: "if the sky can crack there must be some way back to love and only love..."

I don't like the Orbit version. It's too restrained.

I love Electrical Storm... It makes me think of summer:rolleyes:
The lyrics are beautiful too; "You're kept awake
Dreaming someone else's dream."
"Lets see colours that have never been seen,
Go to place's no one else has been."

But I can't stand the William Orbit mix! It makes me cringe!

I loved that song immediately although I know of several U2 fans who don't care for it. Funny that. I thought it was one of those songs where the music fit the vocals really well. Also a simple riff that I don't believe I've heard before... & it's hard to do that. The video is of a beach & a beach is exactly what I think of when I hear it.
I particularly like the William Orbit mix (I have all the single mixes).

I love this song! The lyrics are amazing and the music just carry the lyrics so beautifully. I love it! It is definitely one of my favorites

I hear this in our local grocery store from time to time and it sends shivers down my spine

fantastic song. it's an example of what U2 do best----restrained tension that builds, builds, builds....and then releases, but not all the way--a la Bad.

I happen to like the reindeer, just because it's so random. Random, the reindeer.

But then, it took me three or four viewings of the video to even /notice/ it, anyway. I was too busy going, "Um..who's that guy?" I admit I didn't even recognize Larry. :shifty: I like that song. It's very..atmospheric.

I loved the song from the beginning and still do, still feel touched by it, love the lyrics. There is a certain darkness, a certain atmosphere of sadness and unease about them. I like the original version of the song best, it's more stripped down and suits the general emotions and the message of the song better.

I adore this song, even with that awful "heavy as a truck" line. That gorgeous "Heeyyyyyyy" that Bono wails right after said line is one of my favorite parts of any U2 song, ever. Is there a better chorus in U2's catalogue than this one? Maybe Mysterious Ways or Kite, but it's near the top for me.

It's a shame this was a one off single and isn't as well known, nor played live. And yes the video is amazing, probably their best (Stay is its rival for my favorite). They've made a lot of great music this decade that no one outside of the hardcore fans gets to hear (I write this as I'm listening to Levitate).

I just sort of rediscovered this song a couple weeks ago... it brings me back. I remember someone had leaked it onto the internet after Bono gave a copy of the single to a DJ friend. I must've played that demo over and over... at least 30 times that day.

The Orbit mix took awhile to get used to, but now I actually prefer it. It has a much better structure and atmosphere, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom