Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the song and think it will do well, but this seems like tabloid stuff to me.

Here is the article:

Stormin' to the Top Spot
U2 Song Is Tip for No1

By Paul Martin

U2 are set to cook up a storm by landing their biggest ever hit around the world.

After 20 years at the top, their new single Electrical Storm is expected to become their most successful yet.

The rockers don't even release the track until next month but already radio stations around the world are going crazy for Bono's latest
offering. Radio stations in Australia, Japan and America have been playing it around the clock and advance orders of the single have
reached record levels.

A source close to the group said: "This is going to be their biggest hit and it's really surprising Bono.

"He just put it out there to see what the reaction was like after being out of the music business for nearly a year. Nobody expected it to
become a worldwide hit before it is even officially released."

Secret music industry figures show that the song will go straight to No1 when it is released on October 21.

It marks an amazing return to the top for U2 who took a long break after their record-breaking Elevations world tour last year.

Bono revealed the secret of Electrical Storm's success and said: "It's about a couple in a room, feeling a storm brewing in the sky outside
and equating that to the pressure they feel in their relationship.

"I think it captures a sense of unease around the world, especially in America - an air of nervous anticipation.

"It's not an overtly political song but I don't think we could have written it before what happened in New York."

Their biggest hit to date is the classic With or Without You.

The group will make only a few appearances to publicise the new song.

The insider added: "They don't even need to shoot a video for this one if they don't want to."

Hi :)

This is a great news article - can you submit it to me, with a correct URL pointing at the direct print resource?

Thanks.

~HA :angel:

LOL. Amusing article, but I really don't buy it. Especially after this line:

The insider added: "They don't even need to shoot a video for this one if they don't want to."

If this person actually was an insider, than s/he'd know that they'd been shooting the video for a while and have already finished it.

I read that too. It's got to be a bit far-fetched. If it does become their biggest hit, I wouldn't call it a success. I'd almost be disappointed! haha (I know people are going to throw things at me now.) I mean, listen to a song like 'Walk On' - which should have been a HUGE hit - and then listen to 'Electrical Storm' (nice song and all, but nothing truly special in my opinion), and you'll see why I wouldn't be too impressed. But there again, it would simply be a reflection of the cultural climate in which we live, and a little honesty can never hurt.

I heard 'Walk On' yesterday on some satellite music channel at work, and I was totally shocked that it didn't blow out the charts. It's such a beautiful, soaring song. Now there is an under-rated song if I've ever heard of such a thing.

We'll see

Hmmmm... :shrug: i guess one can never really know what song will be a hit or not. I mean, One's highest chart position was No. 40 (i think) and it's considered (one of) U2's best song(s).

I see how ES could do well on the charts - it has appealing relatable lyrics, catchy bridge and chorus and a powerful melody. But i'm not sure about it overthrowing all prior U2 hits.

Last edited:
Re: We'll see

U2girl said:
I see how ES could do well on the charts - it has appealing relatable lyrics, catchy bridge and chorus and a powerful melody. But i'm not sure about it overthrowing all prior U2 hits.
:yes:

to even compare it to some of U2's past huge hits, (like the stuff off joshua tree) i wouldn't even say it's as great of a song as ishfwilf.

but then again, britney and *n sync get to #1 all over the world and that doesn't make their songs great. :|

IMO, Electrical Storm is a real good song. It does deserve to be a big hit.
Why are y'all complaining that it would be overrated? It simply is a great U2 song. Just keep on listening!

Peter said:
IMO, Electrical Storm is a real good song. It does deserve to be a big hit.
Why are y'all complaining that it would be overrated? It simply is a great U2 song. Just keep on listening!

:yes: ES is brilliant! I sincerely hope that it will be remembered as one of U2's "greatest hits."

Fans complain when a song they think will do well doesn't do well, and here we are hearing the possibility of a U2 song doing very well, and we already wanting to brandish it as less than other U2 songs, comparing it to other great U2 songs, and almost daring "Electrical Storm" to do better than our beloved WOWY or One or Pride (insert sarcasm here).

I look at all the great songs from ATYCLB, with two of the songs being "Songs of the Year", and yet "Walk On" and "Beautiful Day" didn't even come close to becoming #1 songs. However, if you look at The Joshua Tree, it has 2 #1 hits with WOWY and ISHFWILF, and yet none of those songs won a Grammy, so go figure what people will do with a song once they hear it.

So, if U2 can still make music that matters, and have millions of people still like it, and that song is "Electrical Storm", then I'm estatic as a fan that other music fans are loving the music of our band...don't ya think?

Chris

Last edited:
:eyebrow:

I think ES is a great song. I would have NO objection to it hitting number one, of course. I must admit, however, that I would be surprised.

I think that the article is suspect, at best.

If this guy is an insider or he has spoken to an insider you would think he wouldn't refer to the tour as the Elevations tour.

If it is an insider then its someone trying to drum up hype for the single's release....which is fine with me!

spanisheyes said:
Fans complain when a song they think will do well doesn't do well, and here we are hearing the possibility of a U2 song doing very well, and we already wanting to brandish it as less than other U2 songs, comparing it to other great U2 songs, and almost daring "Electrical Storm" to do better than our beloved WOWY or One or Pride (insert sarcasm here).

I look at all the great songs from ATYCLB, with two of the songs being "Songs of the Year", and yet "Walk On" and "Beautiful Day" didn't even come close to becoming #1 songs. However, if you look at The Joshua Tree, it has 2 #1 hits with WOWY and ISHFWILF, and yet none of those songs won a Grammy, so go figure what people will do with a song once they hear it.

So, if U2 can still make music that matters, and have millions of people still like it, and that song is "Electrical Storm", then I'm estatic as a fan that other music fans are loving the music of our band...don't ya think?

Chris

Exactly. I couldn't have put it better myself. :)

Peace.

P.S. I think Electrical Storm is one of the band's great songs. I can't get enough of it!

Re: We'll see

U2girl said:
Hmmmm... :shrug: i guess one can never really know what song will be a hit or not. I mean, One's highest chart position was No. 40 (i think) and it's considered (one of) U2's best song(s).

"One" was a top 10 hit around the world - charting at #10 on the Hot 100 chart (*the* important singles chart) in the U.S.

As for "Walk On", I don't think it was properly promoted or pushed at other stations. It became a top 10 hit on U.S. Modern Rock stations, but wasn't really pushed elsewhere, which is a shame. I fault the label there.

As for E-Storm, I think this article is a lot of hype. I only believe the numbers when I see them. For example, before "Pop" was released, people talked about how "Staring at the Sun" was going to be #1 around the world. That did NOT happen.

ChangeTheTemperature said:

It marks an amazing return to the top for U2 who took a long break after their record-breaking Elevations world tour last year.

A long break? It's been hardly a year since Elevation ended. Now the 4 years between Zoo TV and Pop, that was a break.

doctorwho said:
As for E-Storm, I think this article is a lot of hype. I only believe the numbers when I see them. For example, before "Pop" was released, people talked about how "Staring at the Sun" was going to be #1 around the world. That did NOT happen.
fo' sho'. i mean, none of my favourites are fan favourites. some of mine weren't even singles! :D

anyway, my reply was by saying i doubt it'll be their "biggest hit," as the article says. mainly, my reasoning is that it couldn't. around the world? maybe in europe. i doubt it'll even be *released* here as a single, since most (or all?) of atyclb's singles weren't released in america. it therefore would be ineligible for a spot on the top 100 here. :D (unless imports can chart...)

i know no one's replies to those of us saying our doubts were directed solely at me, but i figured i'd say my piece anyway.

Well i can see where people would kind of be "offended" by this song comming in and rising above the others, so to speak. We all know that just because a song goes to number one doesn't make it a better song than the others. Saying that, i love Electrical Storm and I do hope it goes to number one. By the way, I don't think any of the ATYCLB singles were released in the US so they couldn't have gone anywhere.

ChangeTheTemperature said:
I like the song and think it will do well, but this seems like tabloid stuff to me.

You can bet everything you own it is tabloid stuff. No way will Electrical Storm be even a mild hit for U2.

The basis of all this is the radio airplay and the fact that U2 had to push the release two weeks early just because a BBC dj played a demo version without the band's consent and causing such a buzz and demand that U2 had no choice but to release it. My view? This is all bullocks and it's all pre-planned.

Bono would never conveniently give as a present a demo copy of U2's new single to a BBC dj without consent of management and the rest of the band. He is not that dumb. This is a well-planned and well-planted marketing gimmick. Just like the leakage of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man from POP. Just like the lost laptop stunt for ATYCLB.

I think Electrical Storm could have been a potential U2 hit, if only it didn't have such a slow beginning in the orbit version and if only Bono would just refrain from using that thinning falsetto as the chorus. His thinning shallow falsetto is just a parody of the rich deep authoritative falsetto of the ZOO TV era.

Predictons about Electrical Storm being big are off base. That song is dead on arrival. I haven't seen the video but I don't think any video can rescue that song.

Cheers,

J

Always nice to hear from the optimists...

jick said:

You can bet everything you own it is tabloid stuff. No way will Electrical Storm be even a mild hit for U2.

The basis of all this is the radio airplay and the fact that U2 had to push the release two weeks early just because a BBC dj played a demo version without the band's consent and causing such a buzz and demand that U2 had no choice but to release it. My view? This is all bullocks and it's all pre-planned.

Bono would never conveniently give as a present a demo copy of U2's new single to a BBC dj without consent of management and the rest of the band. He is not that dumb. This is a well-planned and well-planted marketing gimmick. Just like the leakage of Discotheque and Wake Up Dead Man from POP. Just like the lost laptop stunt for ATYCLB.

I think Electrical Storm could have been a potential U2 hit, if only it didn't have such a slow beginning in the orbit version and if only Bono would just refrain from using that thinning falsetto as the chorus. His thinning shallow falsetto is just a parody of the rich deep authoritative falsetto of the ZOO TV era.

Predictons about Electrical Storm being big are off base. That song is dead on arrival. I haven't seen the video but I don't think any video can rescue that song.

Cheers,

J

My you're cynical.

Re: Re: Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

jick said:

Cheers,

J

"Electrical Storm" is an awesome U2 song. I can't stop listening to it, and I can't stop singing it. The falsetto is fine, Bono's voice is great in this song. Especially during the bridge, where he yells "HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!" I am in awe that he pulled that off, and I hope this song gets played live sometimes. I have rarely felt this way about a new U2 song. I only became a fan in 1995, so everything before that was not new to me. The only 2 other songs to make me feel this way were "Kite" and "Walk On", so this song is awesome.

Bono could barely pull off a falsetto on All That You Can't Leave Behind, so to hear him in full flight again on Electrical Storm is ace. I disagree completely that his falsetto sounds thin on this song, in fact I think its quite strong and drawn out! This is great for a guy who is in his 40s and whos been singing night after night on huge global-buggering tours over the last 20 years or so.

To sum up: E.Storm will be a big hit.:yes:

Re: Re: Electrical Storm - U2's Biggest Hit ?

jick said:

Cheers,

J

This is such crap, I'm sorry. You're entitled to your opinion of course. but I do think the song will be a hit. Bono sounds amazing and even if the song wasn't good- now that I've finally seen the video- well the video could rescue the song.

THE ORIGINAL ARTICLE IS FAKER THAN FAKE!!! :banghead:
Why doesn't anybody realize or say it? It has clearly been written by some sensationalist or promoter (NOT intending that the thread starter is one!) and that too in poor amateurish language. "Elevations tour" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And Jick, you never stop do you?? :no:

:yes: I see that it went from #23 to #14 on the Modern Rock Charts. That sounds pretty good considering it hasn't been released yet. The version they play in the video reminds me more of Zooropa than ATYCLB, anyone else agree?

MadelynIris said:
ES will debut #1 in the UK, not the US.

And don't forget that it will also debut #1 in Canada (as most U2 songs do) and in about 10 other countries.

As for Bono's falsetto "thinning out?" You are such a fool, to worry like you do! :D (pun intended)

His falsetto is fantastic and ES proves it!

Back
Top Bottom