Ego? What is this ego you're talking about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha, nice

i cant keep up with all you young peoples internet lingo

Go ahead and call me bias, but personally I don't see Bono as having much of an ego at all, at least not in the way I've always understood what makes someone egotistical. Charisma, energy, enthusiam, and persistence are not synonymous with egotism.

e·go·tism (ē'gə-tĭz'əm, ĕg'ə-) pronunciation
n.

1. The tendency to speak or write of oneself excessively and boastfully.
2. An inflated sense of one's own importance; conceit. See synonyms at conceit.

I think there's an unfortunate double standard that comes with Bono's celebrity. If he just stood at the mic and sang his songs, people would say he's dull and boring. Instead, we've got a frontman who's enthusiasm and charisma is unmatched, but people assume you have to be some narcissistic bastard in order to fit that role.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Go ahead and call me bias, but personally I don't see Bono as having much of an ego at all, at least not in the way I've always understood what makes someone egotistical. Charisma, energy, enthusiam, and persistence are not synonymous with egotism.

I think there's an unfortunate double standard that comes with Bono's celebrity. If he just stood at the mic and sang his songs, people would say he's dull and boring. Instead, we've got a frontman who's enthusiasm and charisma is unmatched, but people assume you have to be some narcissistic bastard in order to fit that role.
clap.gif

One more thing. Here's a quote I lifted from another U2 site to shed some light for the unenlightened. Pay particular attention to the words in bold.
Bono: evil encroaches in tiny footsteps on every great idea. And evil can almost outrun most great ideas, but finally, in the end, there is light in the world. I accept that God choses to work with some pretty poor material. But I'm more amazed by what people *are* capable of that I am by what they're *not* capable of, which is to say evil doesnt surprise me.

Michka: how do you find your way through the darkness? i guess, just like anyone, you stumble from time to time.

bono: i try to make the light brighter.
Now if those words (in bold) aren't the words of humility, I don't know what is.

BONO'ppetit said:
I think Ali probably does a real good job of keeping him grounded if he gets a little too high.

:yes:. Bono's credited her with doing things like that many times (heh, that's another point to bring up-would someone who was an egotistical creep credit practically everything they have in their lives to their family and friends?).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom