EDUN Going Out Of Business..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
U2's Bono announced this week in a press conference that Edun, the clothing company he and his wife launched last year, will be closing.

The failure definitely wasn't due to lack of publicity, with celebrities like Lindsy Lohan, Kate Bosworth, Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams taking part in Edun's One campaign. Maybe the fact that Bono said that Edun's clothes were for the fashion-impaired had something to do with the company's failure. (Does anyone really want to admit that?) Sales were so poor that keeping the company open just didn't make sense anymore.

"Edun clothes sold so poorly that we were increasing Third World debt by having them manufactured in the Third World," said Bono. Ouch!

Last edited:
Not unexpected for a flavour of the week celebrity fashion line. It's like building that model train set as a pet project and then tiring of it. I feel bad for Ali, though - she'll have to go do something else now since Bono's got Africa claimed for himself. Maybe Asia?

AtomicBono said:
I would have bought some Edun clothes if I had the money

And therein lies the problem! Edun clothes were simply too expensive. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they're having to dissolve the company.

That's a shame, it was a really great cause. But it was pretty hard to get hold of the clothes, I didn't know where to find them near me so I didn't bother.

That, and having Lindsay Lohan wearing your clothing is like having a semen stain on your dress. Sure, maybe it's a badge of honour, but it doesn't look good to anyone else :uhoh:

Queen Bee said:
Now what am I going to do with my Edun wardrobe now that it's essentially meaningless :(:(:(

:sad:

Don't worry! You can always go buy a shitload of those (RED) sweaters. They're with the GAP. They won't go out of business as long as those sweatshops stay in Asia! :hug:

:lol: << thats all i can do.
"Edun clothes sold so poorly that we were increasing Third World debt by having them manufactured in the Third World,"

Its so very sad its funny.

GibsonGirl said:

Don't worry! You can always go buy a shitload of those (RED) sweaters. They're with the GAP. They won't go out of business as long as those sweatshops stay in Asia! :hug:
image1sg8.gif

GibsonGirl said:

That is a fine point you made there, GibsonGirl. Even if (RED) falls under the same fate as EDUN, at least I'll still have a stylish iPod Nano and Motorola phone I could use until the next charity is set up :hyper:

beau2ifulday said:
it all seems slightly embarassing now, really.

The company's mission is to help increase trade and create sustainable employment for developing areas of the world with an emphasis on Africa, providing a business model that others can replicate and follow.

yes, slightly embarassing indeed

GibsonGirl said:
And therein lies the problem! Edun clothes were simply too expensive. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that they're having to dissolve the company.

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to say. $40 for a T shirt? I mean cummmon :huh:

Sicy said:

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to say. $40 for a T shirt? I mean cummmon :huh:
But Sicy, 32 cents of that purchase is going to the African Sandal Fund so that in, perhaps a year, one African can buy new sandals to walk ten miles to get water for her family. We're making REAL PROGRESS™ here.

Pshhh I'm sure it cost like $1 to make the shirt. That leaves $39. FTW?

Canadiens1160 said:
But Sicy, 32 cents of that purchase is going to the African Sandal Fund so that in, perhaps a year, one African can buy new sandals to walk ten miles to get water for her family. We're making REAL PROGRESS™ here.

:lol:

I wish they'd expanded their size range. Some of us who would have bought the blouses and T-shirts are big girls and couldn't fit into the sizes offered.

I am sorry to see this happen, as it was launched with such high hopes. And it was nice to see the lovely Ali get some of the spotlight, for our B-man would not be the man he is without her.

GibsonGirl said:

Wherever they were sold it was very expensive, Anthropology, Saks, Nordstroms...the only place where they were discounted was Saks off 5th and the Nordstrom rack. The jeans I have are really great material. Its ashame though because they had such a passion for the company.

Funnily enough, from an economist's point of view we actually need a lot more sweatshops in Africa. Inordinate numbers of them.

Elimination of poverty takes more than instant debt-canceling - it takes decades of reform and industry, foreign investment, and globalization all have strong parts in that.

If I had eight children and they could either be working on tennis shoes and learning to read, or learning to fire an AK-47....

one4u2 said:
U2's Bono announced this week in a press conference that Edun, the clothing company he and his wife launched last year, will be closing.

The failure definitely wasn't due to lack of publicity, with celebrities like Lindsy Lohan, Kate Bosworth, Heath Ledger and Michelle Williams taking part in Edun's One campaign. Maybe the fact that Bono said that Edun's clothes were for the fashion-impaired had something to do with the company's failure. (Does anyone really want to admit that?) Sales were so poor that keeping the company open just didn't make sense anymore.

"Edun clothes sold so poorly that we were increasing Third World debt by having them manufactured in the Third World," said Bono. Ouch!

Dumb Question...what's the source for this report?

omg this is hilllllarious

NEW YORK - U2's lead singer, Bono, perennially one of the worst-dressed white men in the world, has announced the cancellation of the clothing line for the fashion impaired that he and his wife founded last year.

Called Edun, the moderately priced clothes were designed especially for people who look as if they were dressed by Stevie Wonder's valet—or perhaps by Stevie himself.

Bono, who has been legally fashion impaired since the age of fifteen, made the surprise announcement yesterday at a press conference in New York. Reporters arrived at the conference expecting to hear another tiresome lecture, sprinkled with the names of world leaders whom Bono has been hectoring recently about reducing Third World debt. The press was caught off guard, however, when the diminutive Irish singer, resplendent in a Nehru jacket, bell bottoms, and trademark shades, announced that he had come to talk about clothes.

"Isn't that like Paris Hilton talking about chastity?" a Rolling Stone reporter muttered under his breath. "This is a guy who makes the worst-dressed list for functions he doesn't even attend."

"Sadly," announced Bono, "Edun clothes sold so poorly that we were increasing Third World debt by having them manufactured in the Third World."

Each item of Edun clothing—the studded denim jacket, for example—featured a code tag next to the label. The code on the tag allowed the fashion-impaired shopper to know the items with which the denim jacket should be worn—in this case a chartreuse macrame hat large enough to be useful for smuggling a starving Third World baby through customs. To reinforce this lesson, each item in the Edun line is accompanied by a booklet containing extended fashion tips.

Bono was inspired to found Edun clothes after his son Elijah Bob Patricious Guggie Q Bono had come home crying from pre-school because the other kids had made fun of the way he was dressed.

"It was then I realized that fashion imparedness is in the genes," said Bono, a man for whom nostril hair is a fashion statement. "I called my good friend Bob Dylan to ask if that had ever happened to his kids, and Bob told me that saving the world begins at home."

Bono also informed reporters that he and his wife, Ali Bono, who is also legally fashion impaired, will auction the entire Edun catalog on eBay shortly."

In other news, although no one asked her and, apparently, nobody gives a damn, Angelina Jolie has announced that she will campaign on behalf of former US Secretary of State Colin Powell in an effort to get him appointed US Ambassador to the United Nations.

:lmao:

i havent been able to find any real articles about it going out of business though. are you sure you didnt confuse this satire article for real news?

Last edited:
I really feel bad when something people are so passionate about fails.

He has no nose hair I can attest to that personally!!!
He has been dressing better....

Now, they are going to auction off the clothing some of which I may add of the womens line are beautifully made jackets.

I wonder what would a pair of "signed" Eduns by Bono go for?

I wouldn't give them up for anything.:wink:

I can't believe any one posted this as a serious news article. I saw it earlier today while browsing Google and it was just so obviously a joke. And even if it hadn't been so obvious, we all know he wasn't in New York last week to make this "announcement". Sheesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom