Educating the ignorant few!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CKONE said:

I am glad you read it as intended. Cheers

I'm sorry if I misjudged you. I think the problem is I've met so many people that say stuff like you do that really ARE condesending jerks that it's hard to tell when someone is just joking - especially on the Internet, when you can't see someone or hear voice inflections.

maycocksean said:

October and Pop are the ugly stepchildren of U2--ignored and practically disowned by the band, derided by the fans. But there are gems buried in October (Gloria, at least should have been on the "best of") and Pop is actually a damn good album.

And "Trip Through Your Wires" is not "filler." When I first discoverd JT, it was one of my favorite songs and I still like it a lot.

October has five absolutely magnificent tracks in a row - I Threw A Brick Through a Window, Rejoice, Fire (10/10 for me), Tomorrow and October. The only tracks I dislike on that album really are I Fall Down, which has a good chorus but is let down by its lyrics and its inconsistency and Is That All. The rest is very good material. That said, it is widely ignored, but I think most of that or some of that can be put down to the fact its their most overtly religious album.

Best Ofs are a good way to get someone into the band. Happened to me with several bands. It just isn't realistic to expect someone to listen to music consecutively in order of release, since most people won't have done this unless they followed from the start.

Plus, with your own mixtape you are probably biased as what to put on (following a certain sound or era more). The best ofs will provide a broad enough range of U2 to get to know the band.

I recommend BO 80-90 -> BO 90-00

and then depending on what tracks they prefer, you can fine tune after.

I think October would have been more successful if Bono's original lyrics weren't stolen.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think October would have been more successful if Bono's original lyrics weren't stolen.

Yeah, I've always wondered what we've missed. I guess someone knows (the thief) but they're not telling.

Back
Top Bottom