Educating the ignorant few!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Educating the ignorant few!

Zootlesque said:

Haha! You know how they say, the first album you listen to is always close to your heart for nostalgic or other reasons! That person will automatically start comparing all subsequent albums to Pop! :happy:

yes I guess that's why my perception of U2 is distorted, I started with Pop. I should have refused to let my mom play it for me and went out and bought Boy instead so I could have gotten into U2 the proper way. :wink:

I think the thing with Pop is it was hard to accept for U2 fans since it was different from the U2 they were used to. But if you have no previous expectations of U2 - or all you know is what's on the radio - then if you listen to Pop you're judging the songs solely on their individual merit as opposed to comparing them to U2's entire back catalouge. With that approach, I don't think Pop is a "difficult" album at all. I liked it instantly and I was only 9 at the time, and pretty much everyone I've played Discotheque for, or burned a copy of Pop for, have liked it. I'm not saying that Pop is the only way to get people into U2, but from my experience it is a good album to start with, even for people that think U2 is "gay" or whatever.

I think that the "best ofs" are a great way to get people more into them, they are the songs that are most likely to resonate with more people. When I wanted to check out the Beatles, a greatest hits cd got me into them enough to get the full albums.

The first album I bought was AB.

If I'd been forced to listen to October, Boy or War first, I would never have become a U2 fan.

what I always do is to make two compilation tapes and put on your favourite 40 songs and hit him with everything that made you love U2. It always worked with me. I have converted many U2 non believers with this system!!

Flippin eck it seems a few people are taking life a bit too seriously!:scratch:

Ellay and Atomic Bono what can I say. Firstly the person is a friend and it was very much tongue in cheek as I previously indicated.

Secondly its hardly difficult for him to go and buy an album of his choice be it their latest, their earliest or a greatest.

Thirdly, condescending??? Me ??:D

As a fan of the best band in the world (imho) I can be condescending to those who don't appreciate class! Its like a Brazilian Football fan can look at the rest of the world safe in the knowledge that his team is the best of all time. An England fan (as I am) cant't yet because we have a few world cups to win to correct the balance;)

I make no apologies for trying to educate the ignorant few.

Finally I am lucky enough to have been a U2 fan from the early days and because of that I have grown up with their music and I honestly cant think of an album or song that I dont like. Whilst my comments were tongue in cheek i do think the best way to find out if you like U2 is to do the lost in order. If you then only like 1 or 2 albums then so be it. But if you listen to later stuff first and then listen to the early stuff some people won't give it a chance because they like the better produced, better performed later stuff. They will then miss out on the gems that are the raw early less talented musically yet emotionally and lyrically wonderful early stuff.

Condescending maybe - but as a fan of the best band in the world I can be:wink:

Well said CKONE!
I totally agree!
However I must amend my post. It's been a few years since I last "converted" anybody so two compilations may not be enough! There are loads more great songs to put on!

Just make him your own compilation if you feel the best ofs aren't good, and ensure to tell him which album each song comes off. He can pick the style he likes best and buy the corresponding album. It's very simple. No need to get your panties in a knot.

CKOne, your suggestion to your friend is one of a true a fan and I can appreciate it.

However. . .here's a little analogy. Many college professors are not very good teachers (no offense to any college professors on the boards. There are some excellent teachers at the collegiate level too). They're so steeped in their area of expertise that it is difficult for them to explain it to a layman. So many things are "obvious," so many things are taken for granted, that it becomes difficult for them to teach people who haven't already mastered the field. Same with your love of U2. To you it's "obvious" that U2 is a great band and you can see it all the way from the beginning. (I understand that. I see it too. It's one of the things I like about October--the only U2 album probably more reviled than Pop--I can hear their whole future in those early, rough songs. I can even hear Pop and Zooropa in there somewhere). But it might not be so obvious to the layman.

I think it's dangerous to start anyone on the early albums of any band. Boy, October, and War while very good albums may be harder to digest for a new fan as they would have to look past the band's learning curve.

I suggest starting with Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Pop, or All That You Can't Leave Behind based on what you know about your friend's musical tastes. The 80-90 Greatest Hits isn't too bad either though I think the 90-00 album is a bit advanced.

For me, I started with Achtung Baby in 92 not long after it came out, went immediately to JT, then backwards to War. Then I stalled for about 10 years, not getting the 90's stuff and consoling myself with the "old U2" before continuing with ATYCLB, HTDAAB, Zooropa, and finally being won over by holdouts Pop and October.

maycocksean said:
CKOne, your suggestion to your friend is one of a true a fan and I can appreciate it.

However. . .here's a little analogy. Many college professors are not very good teachers (no offense to any college professors on the boards. There are some excellent teachers at the collegiate level too). They're so steeped in their area of expertise that it is difficult for them to explain it to a layman. So many things are "obvious," so many things are taken for granted, that it becomes difficult for them to teach people who haven't already mastered the field. Same with your love of U2. To you it's "obvious" that U2 is a great band and you can see it all the way from the beginning. (I understand that. I see it too. It's one of the things I like about October--the only U2 album probably more reviled than Pop--I can hear their whole future in those early, rough songs. I can even hear Pop and Zooropa in there somewhere). But it might not be so obvious to the layman.

I think it's dangerous to start anyone on the early albums of any band. Boy, October, and War while very good albums may be harder to digest for a new fan as they would have to look past the band's learning curve.

I suggest starting with Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, Pop, or All That You Can't Leave Behind based on what you know about your friend's musical tastes. The 80-90 Greatest Hits isn't too bad either though I think the 90-00 album is a bit advanced.

For me, I started with Achtung Baby in 92 not long after it came out, went immediately to JT, then backwards to War. Then I stalled for about 10 years, not getting the 90's stuff and consoling myself with the "old U2" before continuing with ATYCLB, HTDAAB, Zooropa, and finally being won over by holdouts Pop and October.

that is indeed a musical journey. credit to you for delving into the past. i would indeed be a porr college professor:up:

There is no "right" way to get into U2.

I suppose everyone who got into U2 during the War, UF, JT, AB or any subsequent era and bought whatever album was current at that time and slowly bought the rest of the catalog over time did it wrong. I mean, my first-ever U2 album purchase was Rattle and Hum! How stupid of me! How did I ever manage to become a massive fan and eventually buy all their albums?

CKOne, maybe your friend simply doesn't want to start at the very beginning and listen to all the albums in order because it seems more like homework than fun.

I started loving U2's music when my roomate in the dorms my freshman year of college was always listening to the Best of 1980-1990. He'd also put on "Rattle and Hum" (the movie..at the time I thought it was incredibily cheesy so I'd always leave the room haha.)

From there, I bought (In order)

Rattle and Hum
The Joshua Tree
All That You Can't Leave Behind
Achtung Baby
Zooropa and Pop
TUF
War
Boy
October
Best of 1990-2000
HTDAAB

I personally think that the "Best of's" are a fantastic way to give a sampling of the different styles so your friend can go buy albums that appeal to them.

After I saw Bono in Africa with Paul O'Neill, I started with the two Best-ofs, and by the time I was through them Bomb was released. So I bought that (my first actual album) then Joshua Tree, then Achtung Baby, then War then ATYCLB and then I went to iTunes to download songs I liked from the other albums plus live performances, etc.

Honestly, we all come to the band in our own ways. I didn't come to U2 through the music, I came for the activism and discovered the music as a result. I'll admit it's been a backwards way to do it, compared with fans who've followed them their whole lives, but it works for me.

I don't think I saw a DVD or bootleg mentioned anywhere. What better way to get educated in the best live band out there than with a DVD or an audio bootleg?

Here's what I did, which worked quite well:

My girlfriend is principally a Dave Matthews fan (nothing wrong with that), but never really expands her horizons musically. At least not much further than Top 40 radio play.

So in order to fully ordain her into U2 fandom, I burned her not one but two mix CDs. The first one was mostly songs that I knew she would like; radio-layed and over-played U2 songs, but with a sprinkling of little known gems (at least to non-U2 fans) like BAD that I knew she would also like.

With the second disc, I casually eased her into some more obscure tracks, while still keeping her happy with playable standards.

Now she's really into the music, and I'm able to burn a 3rd disc that can introduce her to some full-blown goodies that only us real U2 fans know about, and then she'll be hooked for life.

It's basically the same way a dealer hooks someone on smack.

:huh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that.

WhiteWolf said:

It's basically the same way a dealer hooks someone on smack.

:huh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist saying that.

:lmao:

I feel that the best of c.d.s are a fine way to become acquainted with U2. For one, you can't guarantee that a prospective fan will actually become one. It would be awfully painstaking to buy each album in order only to discover that you like 1 or 2 albums out of the catalogue. With a compilation you're atleast given a sampling of each album :up:

For me, I started off with Pop because that was the recent release when I first became a U2 fan, and the album that first drew me in. I also like GibsonGirl & WhiteWolf (& others') suggestion of compiling your own U2 mix. I should do this at some point and toss the c.d.s out of my car window as I cruise through town--I'm sure to convert a lucky few :hmm: :wink:

a compilation disc is definitely the way to go :up:

first impressions are always the most important and you should load the disc with songs that have a similar sound to the person's taste.

CKONE said:
Flippin eck it seems a few people are taking life a bit too seriously!:scratch:

Ellay and Atomic Bono what can I say. Firstly the person is a friend and it was very much tongue in cheek as I previously indicated.

Secondly its hardly difficult for him to go and buy an album of his choice be it their latest, their earliest or a greatest.

Thirdly, condescending??? Me ??:D

As a fan of the best band in the world (imho) I can be condescending to those who don't appreciate class! Its like a Brazilian Football fan can look at the rest of the world safe in the knowledge that his team is the best of all time. An England fan (as I am) cant't yet because we have a few world cups to win to correct the balance;)

I make no apologies for trying to educate the ignorant few.

Finally I am lucky enough to have been a U2 fan from the early days and because of that I have grown up with their music and I honestly cant think of an album or song that I dont like. Whilst my comments were tongue in cheek i do think the best way to find out if you like U2 is to do the lost in order. If you then only like 1 or 2 albums then so be it. But if you listen to later stuff first and then listen to the early stuff some people won't give it a chance because they like the better produced, better performed later stuff. They will then miss out on the gems that are the raw early less talented musically yet emotionally and lyrically wonderful early stuff.

Condescending maybe - but as a fan of the best band in the world I can be:wink:

I found you're first post to be very funny! I'm afraid not all our American cousins share our dry and subtle British sense of humour!! :lol: As an ex-pat, I find myself constantly running into the same problem here in Finland!!! :cute:

But on topic, my work mate, after about 7 years, since she started work at our place of enployment, of patiently listening to me going on about U2/Bono, concert trips to Stockholm,Helsinki, Dublin, and Copenhagen and pictures of me meeting Bono and Edge last year, I've finally managed to convert her!! She went out a bought U2s Best Of 1990-2000, coz that was the only U2 cd she could find in any of the shops, at the beginning of this year!! And is now ready to hear what else they have to offer! So I'm going to burn U2s first Best of 1980-1990 for her.

I just loaned her one of my U2 books, coz she wanted to know more about them. It's a Finnish book written by Finnish U2 fans called 'U2 - Neljä Kovaa Dublinista' (I'm not even going to try and translate that coz if I was to translate it word for word, it just wouldn't make any sense in English!!! ) and it contains a full biography (it was published at the beginning of last year, so it's pretty up to date) discography from the all the singles, albums, videos and even U2s songs that have appeared in movie soundtracks and all the songs U2 have written for soundtracks, other artist etc. it also contains concert reviews by fans and lots of other interesting stuff. Pretty comprehensive book i.e. if you know nothing about U2 apart from a few songs/videos and that Bono is the lead singer than this book will tell all you need to know!! :wink:

Also ever since she started listening to U2 her whole demeanor has changed, for the better! She would probably be the first to admit to the that she isn't the most cheerful person in the world. But just lately I've began to see a change, the dark cloud that use to hang over her has dissipated and she even says that she enjoys listening to U2 coz the music is full of hope and joy instead of doom and gloom, and it lifts her spirits! She now laughs more easily and seems more at peace!!

So the educating is on going, now if I could just make her a Bono girl like myself!! :D

Last edited:
I converted my parents to U2 recently. Not that they were unfamiliar with them, as I have been a fan since the tender age of 12 dating waaaaaaaaay back to 81.

Mom got hooked when she broke her leg and I loaned her my R&H and JT cd's. Dad is a more recent convert due to enforced house painting and all my MP3's I loaded on mom's computer. And of course my kid is a fan as well. It's a family affair =)

The first U2 album I bought was the 80's best of......I'm surprised I even ended up liking the band, let alone loving them. :|

You're doing the right thing by introducing him to the albums; I did that with a friend, and now he loves U2! Besides, let's face it; the best ofs really suck. :mad:

I think giving him Best of 1980-1990 plus Achtung Baby is a great way to get someone into the band. All the greatest songs of the 80s + their best 90s album, basically it's everything you need to know about U2 in 2 hours.

If he doesn't like either, there's no use in having him go through every album for a month (!). It's certainly a romantic notion to imagine that you're vicariously living the band's history by hearing them in order, but not a very practical one.

xaviMF22 said:
The best of albums are a great way to get someone into U2

I agree! Everone's always bagging the best of's on here but it's what got me into the rest of U2's catalogue. Everything on 1980-90 is worthy of being on the best of (bar maybe when love come's to town.) and you don't have to put up with any filler like trip thru your wires, fourth of July, indian summer sky, love rescue me, refugee, red light, shaddows and tall trees...and it goes on

and there's nothing off October! :D :wink:

I started with HTDAAB as a Christmas present, then ATYCLB, which probably explains my love for the 00 era. Then I bought Achtung Baby on the advice of the forum, was blasted for giving One 3/5, then got the 80's best of.

Since then I have got (in order) - The Joshua Tree and War, Boy, October and Unforgettable Fire, and just recently Passengers, watch for the review thread.

I haven't even touched the 90's best of because I want to buy Zooropa and Pop having heard as few tracks as possible. As a result I have skipped at least 10 songs of the best of DVD.

COBL_04 said:
I haven't even touched the 90's best of because I want to buy Zooropa and Pop having heard as few tracks as possible. As a result I have skipped at least 10 songs of the best of DVD.

Wow, I am excited for you! Pop should blow you away! (ok so I'm a little biased, as it's the album that drew me in) ;)

jonnytakeawalk said:

I agree! Everone's always bagging the best of's on here but it's what got me into the rest of U2's catalogue. Everything on 1980-90 is worthy of being on the best of (bar maybe when love come's to town.) and you don't have to put up with any filler like trip thru your wires, fourth of July, indian summer sky, love rescue me, refugee, red light, shaddows and tall trees...and it goes on

and there's nothing off October! :D :wink:

October and Pop are the ugly stepchildren of U2--ignored and practically disowned by the band, derided by the fans. But there are gems buried in October (Gloria, at least should have been on the "best of") and Pop is actually a damn good album.

And "Trip Through Your Wires" is not "filler." When I first discoverd JT, it was one of my favorite songs and I still like it a lot.

hcbiggs2002 said:

I found you're first post to be very funny! I'm afraid not all our American cousins share our dry and subtle British sense of humour!! :lol: As an ex-pat, I find myself constantly running into the same problem here in Finland!!! :cute:

But on topic, my work mate, after about 7 years, since she started work at our place of enployment, of patiently listening to me going on about U2/Bono, concert trips to Stockholm,Helsinki, Dublin, and Copenhagen and pictures of me meeting Bono and Edge last year, I've finally managed to convert her!! She went out a bought U2s Best Of 1990-2000, coz that was the only U2 cd she could find in any of the shops, at the beginning of this year!! And is now ready to hear what else they have to offer! So I'm going to burn U2s first Best of 1980-1990 for her.

I just loaned her one of my U2 books, coz she wanted to know more about them. It's a Finnish book written by Finnish U2 fans called 'U2 - Neljä Kovaa Dublinista' (I'm not even going to try and translate that coz if I was to translate it word for word, it just wouldn't make any sense in English!!! ) and it contains a full biography (it was published at the beginning of last year, so it's pretty up to date) discography from the all the singles, albums, videos and even U2s songs that have appeared in movie soundtracks and all the songs U2 have written for soundtracks, other artist etc. it also contains concert reviews by fans and lots of other interesting stuff. Pretty comprehensive book i.e. if you know nothing about U2 apart from a few songs/videos and that Bono is the lead singer than this book will tell all you need to know!! :wink:

Also ever since she started listening to U2 her whole demeanor has changed, for the better! She would probably be the first to admit to the that she isn't the most cheerful person in the world. But just lately I've began to see a change, the dark cloud that use to hang over her has dissipated and she even says that she enjoys listening to U2 coz the music is full of hope and joy instead of doom and gloom, and it lifts her spirits! She now laughs more easily and seems more at peace!!

So the educating is on going, now if I could just make her a Bono girl like myself!! :D

I am glad you read it as intended. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom