Edge's voice appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I think his sweet, delicate voice blends really well with Bono's lead vocal. Mostly he is singing backing vocals, but he has done solo on 2 songs + Miracle Drug verse, sharing the lead on Wild honey, Don't take your guns to town and some of Seconds. Most recently we heard the lovely falsetto put to great use on Stuck in a moment, Sometimes you can't make it on your own and live version on the Wanderer.

(and I presume the "brown eyed girl across the street..." falsetto part in A man and a woman is also him?)

What is your favourite Edge vocal moment?

I'd pick I still haven't found what I'm looking for from Sarajevo. Bono had arguably the worst night of his career, and it's great to see a bandmate lend a helping hand, making an already memorable show that much special.

LOVE HIS VOICE

fave Edge voice...Van Diemans Land especially when he hits the "dawning age" his voice just soars

U2girl said:

(and I presume the "brown eyed girl across the street..." falsetto part in A man and a woman is also him?)

I think it's him, I can't believe that Bono could sing it in falsetto nowadays,

Galeongirl said:
I loved it when he sang the chorus of pride in Sarajevo :love:

I remember when I first listened to that bootleg, I was prepared for Bono's voice to be in horrible shape. Then the chorus of Pride hit and I thought to myself, "What was everyone talking about? He sounds good here, and.... ohhhhhhhh. Way to go, Edge!" Heh. Now I know what Bono meant when he said, "You must sing, you must sing," at the beginning of the song.

I love Edge's voice. Sometimes on studio recordings, it's indistinguishable from Bono's (it took me ages to realize he sang the first verse of Seconds.) Live, it's more distinctive. This may sound weird, but my favorite vocal bit of his is the "Sky" backing vocal on Bullet. Flawless vibrato every time. :up:

Edge is excellent, I enjoy his bits in New Year's Day, Miracle Drug, and the instances in which he has sang the chorus of Pride by himself. I believe on youtube to find this you can search for ZooTV Washington version of Pride, and towards the end he sings parts of the chorus by himself.

U2girl said:

I've always thought that was Bono. :huh:

Anyway, Edge's voice is very good. Just listen to Miracle Drug and Van Diemen's Land and you'll be hooked. :up:

Well, it depends. Did he sing the chorus of WITS? I don't hear much difference between the two.

WITS sounds easier to sing, and I think there's a lot of Edge in the mix (like, say Sometimes... chorus).

LemonMelon said:
Well, it depends. Did he sing the chorus of WITS? I don't hear much difference between the two.

Yes, that is Bono, and AMAAW is also Bono....

on the record, the "It's you when I look in the mirror, it's you when I don't pick up the phone" part is Bono aswell...

I've always adored Edge's gentle voice. Van Dieman's Land was the song that got me into U2 in the first place. I love when he sings in Miracle Drug, and Stuck and oh just everything. Edge rocks! :heart:

Yes but Edge also sings the chorus in Sometimes... and his voice may be a bit stronger in the mix. It's probably also both of them on WITS but I don't know...it doesn't sound like Bono on AMAAW. Could be what xami is saying - Bono is singing the normal voice and Edge is singing the falsetto.

U2girl said:
Yes but Edge also sings the chorus in Sometimes... and his voice may be a bit stronger in the mix. It's probably also both of them on WITS but I don't know...it doesn't sound like Bono on AMAAW. Could be what xavi is saying - Bono is singing the normal voice and Edge is singing the falsetto.

I'm right bitches....:wink:

Back
Top Bottom