Edge's voice appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Galeongirl said:

you're not right bitches :wink: it's Bono's falsetto voice, not Edges!

A true U2 fan would obviously know that its The Edge's falsetto...

obvious you are not a true U2 fan:wink:

but really I am 100% that its the Edge singing along with Bono.....how sure are you?

:p

His harmony is spot on, you rarely hear a bad note. Which is an amazing feat given all the business that's going on around him, what with playing, effects, etc.

Then there's Numb which isn't exactly singing, it's sprechtstimme, but it's musical nonetheless.

How about the nice Bono/Edge harmony vocals throughout All Because of You and Yahweh? Awesome.

Edge's work on the live version of 'The Wanderer,' live 'Don't Take Your Guns...' and 'Window in the Skies' is the best singing he's ever done.

Edge might be the only band member where, if everyone else quit, he could single-handedly still make U2 songs

:wink:

I clearly need to listen to Miracle Drug more closely... :reject:

I love Edge's voice. I always wished they'd put that last verse in Van Diemen's Land that has lyrics on the liner notes...
His part on live versions of SATS are some of my favourites... :love:

randy5554 said:
How about the nice Bono/Edge harmony vocals throughout All Because of You and Yahweh? Awesome.

I thought that was just Bono recording his vocal twice, like Crumbs and Discotheque?

Ad just like to add my weight behind this thread. Some of my most favorite and beautiful U2 parts invlolve MrTheEdge2U, and i love to join in and sing along with his harmonies.

U2girl said:

I thought that was just Bono recording his vocal twice, like Crumbs and Discotheque?
You could be right. That's actually what I thought it was, but someone told me otherwise (I don't know how trustworthy he is... :eyebrow: ).

Love love love this part of Miracle Drug. Great singing by The Edge and great writing from Bono.... it's the best part of the song when Edge sings...

Beneath the noise
Below the din
I hear a voice
It’s whispering
In science and in medicine
I was a stranger
You took me in

He does have a really amazing voice, which makes an awesome contrast to Bono's, and they harmonise so nicely! The first time I saw the Slane Castle DVD with Edge's falsetto part on "Stuck", I was blown away. I hardly even liked that song until I heard it live!
And of course, Van Dieman's Land. Just amazing :heart:

xaviMF22 said:

A true U2 fan would obviously know that its The Edge's falsetto...

obvious you are not a true U2 fan:wink:

but really I am 100% that its the Edge singing along with Bono.....how sure are you?

:p

:wink: I'm 100% more sure than you that it's Bono singing and Edge just backing him up... Edge is singing along, but the main falsetto you hear is Bono's...

:tsk: obviously not a true U2 fan... sheesh!

having said all this................i have always found edges vocal backing on SBS at live aid to be very Un-edge like. Sounds like a yob singing. Its his worst vocal performance to date IMHO. But then again, I heard the sound system that day was crap

Re: Re: Edge's voice appreciation thread

U2lunatic said:
U2girl said:

(and I presume the "brown eyed girl across the street..." falsetto part in A man and a woman is also him?)

I think it's him, I can't believe that Bono could sing it in falsetto nowadays,

It is Bono's voice..... it doesn't sound like Edge.
Bono can still use a falsetto, maybe not live like before, but in the studio, no doubt producers can find 1 good flsetto....

This is going to sound really traitorus - but I actually prefer Edge's voice to Bono's. Not that I don't like Bono's (I actually used to have a crush on him, from that darned With or Without You video! :reject: ), but Edge has this wonderfully gentle tenor. Hmmm....

Nothing new to add, just pleased to read I'm not the only one who thinks Edge sings like an angel! ;)
My friends laugh at me for saying that.

I love Edges voice, especially live, like on SBS, Stuck, BTBS, SATS, I loved his wawa in the wanderer, too.
But I don't think Edge could carry a whole album or show on his voice alone, he needs Bono, their voices are wonderful together.

Galeongirl said:

Yes, that is Bono, and AMAAW is also Bono....

on the record, the "It's you when I look in the mirror, it's you when I don't pick up the phone" part is Bono aswell...

This can be the reason why that song never been played live.

Another great voice moment by Edge is in Native Son.

As in Hawaii, Bono started the chant on stage...

WE LOVE THE EDGE WE LOVE THE EDGE!!
It was so great!! The whole place was worshiping this man!
Bono was a class act giving him props for the grace under pressure during this tour with regards to his family. Such a wonderful person!

Back
Top Bottom