Edge's voice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dsmith2904 said:

I think it's kind of sweet that Edge still gets shy about singing in front of an audience after being with U2 for more than 20 years. Singing back up, he's fine, but any solo singing, even one verse, and the eyes are closed.

Anyway, I think Edge has a really sweet, amazing voice but I don't think it's been used properly in the past. In the late '80s he tended to sing a little nasal and then in the early '90s he sang too high. Since Pop, I think everyone has figured out the best level for Edge's voice and his singing back up and up front is just so great. His "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is so chilling, understated, and I completely melt when he sings "Slow down my beating heart" on the Elevation DVD.

As much as I dig Edge's voice I wouldn't want him to do leads full time, Bono is a tremendous singer and frontman, but it would be nice to get another Edge song.

i think i agree with absolutly everything you said. especially the part about the end of "in a little while" on the dvd!

and about him sounding a bit like john lennon in VDL, i don't hear it, but i also don't hear how he sounds like willie nelson--which was what my mom said...:mad:

Edge has a good voice, but when they have a voice like Bono in their group, it would be a BIG mistake to let Edge sing lead. Yes, Edge can hit some high notes, but Bono's voice is far more powerful. But Bono's and Edge's voices sound good together - it's one of those things that IS the U2 sound!

Back
Top Bottom