Edge's Vertigo guitar playing is Overrated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is jick spreading hate anyway? The guy just says that he thinks that Edge's guitar is overrated...

Now i'm really doubting this guy is The Edge. And if he is... i'm disappointed.

:hmm:

Here's a quote I got from some guy (replying to jick in another thread) which sums it up in three words.

Originally posted in another thread
This is rubbish!

Couldn't have said it shorter myself without using expletives. :D

*still wonders why he still bothers after all this time*

:shrug:

edit: *BTW, feels like post-1980 Elvis Costello seeing Ray Charles*

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:
How is jick spreading hate anyway? The guy just says that he thinks that Edge's guitar is overrated...

Apprently you havent read any of jicks other posts over the last.. I dont know how many years.

Some may think it is not as innovative or spectacular as other U2 work, but face it... it is still 100% better than most of the crap out there!

Edge's reply shows what a class act he is.

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:
:hmm:

Here's a quote I got from some guy (replying to jick in another thread) which sums it up in three words.

Couldn't have said it shorter myself without using expletives. :D

*still wonders why he still bothers after all this time*

:shrug:

Shh, Marty, don't mention that name. :shifty:

The posts i've read HERE on this thread aren't spreading any hate...

I never read any other Jicks posts b4 tho...

If this guy really is The Edge he said some serious stuff to a fan (in case Jicks really a fan)... Stuff he didn't need to say.

It's my opinion. I'm not offending anybody with my opinion i guess.

The Edge said:
Friend Jick,

I have been watching this conversation. You are seeking attention via the lit dynamite stick. I see it well. Terrorists use the same tactics to try to create chaos and mayhem. These fine people engage in peaceful and light hearted conversation. You make some show their teeth.
You can dislike U2's new single or say my playing is rubbish, do you think I really give a fig? I know what work went into the LP and Vertigo in particular. Layers of sounds, three hundred takes, If I borrow any "licks" they would be from the Clash or, at best the Ramones. U2 sprang from punk rock. We are still punk rock. We can play anything we want to play or..not play at all if we dont want to. My problem is this: Dont light the fuse of a bomb and then hand that bomb to my good friends and then walk off...stay around and see the results. Better yet...dont light that fuse, put the bomb in your pocket and walk off. I want you to be happy. If you cant, dont spread that disease called "hate" We've far too much that in this world today!

haha, you rock

U2_Guy said:
The posts i've read HERE on this thread aren't spreading any hate...

I never read any other Jicks posts b4 tho...

If this guy really is The Edge he said some serious stuff to a fan (in case Jicks really a fan)... Stuff he didn't need to say.

It's my opinion. I'm not offending anybody with my opinion i guess.

I've been on this site for 4 years. jick has posted nothing but negativaty over the years about U2. In my opinion, he is no fan.

Too bad you are not a premium member... a good search of jick's post may have you feeling different.

Another thing: if the guy shares his opinion about something he's suddenly called a terrorist... This is so anti-U2...and SO Bush type...

U2_Guy said:

Now i'm really doubting this guy is The Edge. And if he is... i'm disappointed.

Posts like these really make me laugh. People who start out defending jick need to read some of this other threads to realize why he gets the reaction he does.

most people think sunday bloody sunday is one of u2's most rocking songs ... wait...what? what is that i hear under that ripping melody? oh wait...that's right...it's B, D, and G power chords. power chords are the foundation of guitar music. if someone wrote a song that was just one long solo...no matter how good the solo was...the song would lack fullness. this is a BAND, not a solo act. the edge is a member of an orchestra. 90% of members of an orchestra harmonize together to produce chords. the other 10% play melodies. a song without some kind of chord would sound like mary had a little lamb or pop goes the weasel. the edge is one of the best songwriters in music. he can use whatever notes, chords, strings, instruments he wants....but the final product will be a damn good song.

Last edited:
It's a shame this really wasn't an honest debate over guitar playing as opposed to the, "OMG EDGE IS A HOMOGAYFAG" that you people made it out to be.

Bono's American Wife said:

Posts like these really make me laugh. People who start out defending jick need to read some of this other threads to realize why he gets the reaction he does.

I give up. I almost wish Edge hadn't responded to Jick's thread. I hope it doesn't just add more fire to the fuel.

I'm not deffending Jicks.

I'm deffending freedom of speech as long as you don't offend anyone.

As i said b4, i didn't see him offending anybody so far.

U2_Guy said:
I'm not deffending Jicks.

I'm deffending freedom of speech as long as you don't offend anyone.

As i said b4, i didn't see him offending anybody so far.

Wait who's freedom of speech? So Jick can say whatever he wants but no one can respond?

eh, so what if they are simple chords? It's not what you play. It's how you play it. I'm listening to Bullet right now and I love the guitar in this song but as I'm listening to it now, it sounds like one note here or there, slow changes. It's no Eddie Van Halen fingers all over the place in one second. And yet, in the few notes used, especially in the bridge, it says soooo much. The depth in the bridge is much more remarkable than fingers all over the place. That's what makes the Ramones or the Clash so remarkable. There wasn't much technicality in the notes, but put together they are remarkable.

Have you all forgot Rattle and Hum? All you need is a red guitar, three chords and the truth.

Bono's American Wife said:

:up:

He's someone who only posts to get a rise out of others, and I don't know why anyone takes him seriously. Honestly, having a member of the band knocking him is probably his ultimate wish fulfulled.

Edge, I think its very passionate of you to stand up for your work. Vertigo takes you and us fans to a different arena. Its a cool riff and think its great. By the way, Pop is a genius album and I hope to hear Mofo on the next tour.

U2_Guy said:

Why shouldn't Edge be allowed to state his opinions? We all do it. I don't see why he should be excluded from that. It's his work. Constructive critisim is one thing, down right insults is another. Playing a guitar isn't exactly the easist thing in the world, and anyone who plays has to get their inspiration from some where, before you can put your own spin on it.

Well put, Edge! :up:

You can respond.

But don't call a person who has this view about a song "a terrorist"... Or tell him to "fuck off" like an user did...

there's little difference between offending someone and saying things you know will go against the beliefs of a group of people. he may not have called edge a wanker, but him telling a community of people that adores edge/u2 that he is overrated IS spreading negative energy...insulting. it's like if you work at mcdonalds and you always bring burger king leftovers with you to eat. yes, you have the freedom to do whatever you want...but still...just not right.

I'm finding it hard to believe that The Edge would actually dignify Jick's comment with a response...but like was said...we have no idea how much work was involved and I'm sure the rest of the album will speak for itself. :D

Here's my theory,

Jick is secretly this guy: (hope you don't mind me using this Headache)

Attachments

• rollins.gif
    rollins.gif
    25 KB · Views: 123
LOL... I'm somewhat siding with you U2_Guy on issues of discussion but there are always issues of respect and self control that come into play on internet fan forums... but no one's calling anybody a terrorist... Geez, I think Edge was just making a a metaphor about trolling which it appears jick tends to do.... geez, sensitive people, you are U2_Guy...

Last edited:
He didn't say Edge was an overrated guitar player...he said he believes Edge's work on the specific song Vertigo is overrated...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom