Edge's Spanish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
purpleoscar said:
So it looks like The Edge is the one speaking "Donde Este" in the video. I wonder how Edge's Spanish will sound on tour:wink:

I think it's "Donde esta":)

Wonder if they'll have concert T shirts with that Spanish vocabulary...no one would ever see that one coming
:wink:

Es muy facil decir "hola" y "donde esta". Un gringo puede decir "Hola" y "donde esta". Yo pienso que no va a ser una problema para The Edge! :wink:

thejoshuafrog said:
so... what does donde esta mean?

Donde esta? = Where Is It?

el español es facil, todo mundo deberia hablarlo, porque es hermoso :D

Let me decipher (haven't studied spanish in 10 years though)
Es muy facil decir "hola" y "donde esta". Un gringo puede decir "Hola" y "donde esta". Yo pienso que no va a ser una problema para The Edge!

it is very difficult to say "Hello" and "where is it". A non spaniard can say "hello" and "where is it". I think that it isn't going to be a problem for the Edge.

Am I close?

Espanol puede chuparme? Nada mas una broma, pero Espanol esta chido para aprender, aunque el espanol de los mexicanos es muy different compara de Esapana.

Just a thought. If the question is asked "donde esta" or "where is it?" (having esablished that he's in a place called vertigo) shouldn't Bono reply, "it's between 5th and 6th on second avenue" or "just up the road past McBollochain's pub on the left" or something rather than "it's everything i wish I didn't know..."?

Numb1075 said:
Let me decipher (haven't studied spanish in 10 years though)
Es muy facil decir "hola" y "donde esta". Un gringo puede decir "Hola" y "donde esta". Yo pienso que no va a ser una problema para The Edge!

it is very difficult to say "Hello" and "where is it". A non spaniard can say "hello" and "where is it". I think that it isn't going to be a problem for the Edge.

Am I close?

Close. The first sentence was "It is very EASY to say..." :wink:

kevink said:
Es muy facil decir "hola" y "donde esta". Un gringo puede decir "Hola" y "donde esta". Yo pienso que no va a ser una problema para The Edge! :wink:

Bueno, esas son las palabras fáciles.

Ahora todos repitan conmigo:

Viva el Real España!

hehe (that's my hometown's soccer team. The best in Honduras. Shameless promotion for my beloved team. :yes:)
:lol:

I thought "Donde Esta?" in this song meant "Where ARE YOU?"not "Where IS IT?" Where is what? Vertigo? Nobody cares where it is? cause obviously he never tells us. I thought it was meant to ask WHERE IS HE.

hence the line "I'M in a place called Vertigo"

macphisto23 said:
Espanol puede chuparme? Nada mas una broma, pero Espanol esta chido para aprender, aunque el espanol de los mexicanos es muy different compara de Esapana.

yes, our spanish is better :wink:

I think the important question here is: “Will Edge’s choice of hat wear on this tour be a sombrero?”

Rachel D. said:
Can't "Donde esta?" mean "Where is it?", "Where is she?", OR "Where is he?"?

yes it means, but I think they are talking about "a place called Vertigo", so, is "Where Is It?"

Jack In The Box said:

yes it means, but I think they are talking about "a place called Vertigo", so, is "Where Is It?"

reread my post up the page a bit. It makes absolutely no sense to conclude that it means "Where is it?" Because we don't care where IT is. I makes more sense that we ask Where IS HE?

Its like the spanish part is delayed from the english part.

spanish: Hola (hello)
Donde Esta? (Where are you?)

english: HelloHello (response to the hello)
I'm in a place called Vertigo (hence responding to WHERE he is)

Where is he? makes absolutely no sense to me in the context of the song and the fact that its asked after "I'm at a place called Vertigo. (I am also a native spanish speaker.)

I could understand "Where is he?" if it comes before "I'm at a place called Vertigo" not after.

Maybe then the song should go:

"I'm at a place called Vertigo" "Where is he?" "Idiot, I just said I'm at a place called Vertigo"

I agree ramblin rose, "where is he?" don't have sense in Vertigo...

:shrug:

ramblin rose said:

"I'm at a place called Vertigo" "Where is he?" "Idiot, I just said I'm at a place called Vertigo"

^ :lmao:

The key is:

The right words in spanish are : "Donde estan ?", translated:

"Where are you ?", then the answer: In a place called Vertigo,

In this way , the whole phrase sounds right !

Well, it could be "Donde estas" (where are you), "Donde esta" (where are you, formal, although it really should be "Donde eseta Usted" in this case), or "Donde esta" (where is it). There's a missing pronoun.

Back
Top Bottom